Swaylocks ........ Done?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
All along it was way too nerdy.
There was no other site dedicated purely to building surfboards. There were a lot of newbies (nerds?) making their first boards. There were a lot of guys like me, garage shapers who've been making boards at an amatuer level all their lives. And then there were a few professionals chiming in on a regular basis with solid technical advice- Bert Burger, Greg Loehr, Josh Dowling, Plus One (George Gall) come to mind.

There was talk about what to do with the site. I hope it doesn't shut down. There was so much gold archived there.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Last heard owner of site said all in or shut down ie... update site modern features $$$ or shut down and stop paying for ole site:drowning:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
BB’s like this are a tricky beast. I know of one that was a collection of writers, often sharing short stories that are otherwise unpublished.

The fear was that their works would be republished for profit. Enough of the big shots formed a consortium and bought the thing and kept status quo but even then, these things need to be maintained and the temptation is to just bury the thing.

Reactions: MathDebater
Sep 26, 2022
Wow, I'm just starting to get into shaping and ding repair (Already plotting my future shaping bay). I learned so much from there to get started. I'd hate to see it all disappear now.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
There was no other site dedicated purely to building surfboards. There were a lot of newbies (nerds?) making their first boards. There were a lot of guys like me, garage shapers who've been making boards at an amatuer level all their lives. And then there were a few professionals chiming in on a regular basis with solid technical advice- Bert Burger, Greg Loehr, Josh Dowling, Plus One (George Gall) come to mind.

There was talk about what to do with the site. I hope it doesn't shut down. There was so much gold archived there.
Oh man, who was that dude on the east side of Kauai who made custom fins? Interesting cat. Rich something? I used to spend a lot of time on that site...

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
There were so many good build threads on Swaylocks "back in the day"! Lot's people willing to share solid info and help "fix" newbie mistakes while shaping/glassing boards.

Reactions: Mr Doof and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Imagine if someone harvested the whole thing and started producing surfboard building guides from the content.

Agree the format of discussion is not worth owning but the IP of the works… maybe.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Imagine if someone harvested the whole thing and started producing surfboard building guides from the content.
... .
Swaylocks would have exchanged an enormous amount of information by now. However, doing that would not be so easy. The forum is founded by Mike Paler a web software engineer who constructed it as his hobby project and it went through a big version 2 changeover during which pictures were lost and links to other parts of the forum lost. Its not the easiest place to navigate or search.

It would be harder than trying to put together a comprehensive wetsuit purchase guide from the erBB unbiased wetty thread. Building a board is a bit like building a cake - many recipes and techniques, so there the fundamental problem of which one to choose and any credible author would have to try the different techniques to determine which one is best to present.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
.. and help "fix" newbie mistakes while shaping/glassing boards.
Oh yes! Requests for help for all sorts of stuff ups - resin setting before rails wrapped. Air bubbles. Epoxy not set. Pinholes in the filler coat. Sprayed the blank a dark colour and got white blotches after glassing, just to name a few.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
His Sways name was "Kokua" which means helpful if I'm not mistaken. I think he passed away from cancer.
Kokua was so key to the forum that a big chunk of Sways died with him when he passed away. I never felt like it was the same after that. Like he was the glue. Some great characters over there for sure......guys like Trailkill, Ambrose, Shark Country, and Uncle Grumpy.