Level of surfing on Tavarua

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Every person I've met who has gone can barely surf, what's up with that?
Bragging Rights?

It's pretty
It's exclusive
It's expensive
It's isolated
It's unique

Most people that go to top dollar ski resorts are not world class skiers. There are waves that are totally accessible to beginner/low level surfers.

That being said, these are probably some of the same reasons that it is still enjoyable for people who can surf well and take advantage of the waves there. It's not inundated with competent, budget conscious surfers (ie: Bali, Lowers, every other accessible, affordable, good wave).

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I thought CB and Restaurants were both double black diamond breaks?
They are and they aren't. I was surprised at the level of some of the guests and thought it was crazy that they would spend the $$$$ to go to Tavarua. That noted, There are sections of the reef at Cloudbreak that are pretty user friendly and the "lifeguards" keep the less skilled out of the danger zones for the most part. There's also a couple of nearby breaks that are perfect for the less skilled rider. It is a dreamy place and holy crap can you get shacked on the inside shish kababs section.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Why do you hate @Subway so much?
He’s not entirely wrong I don’t think. On our week there, I was maybe the 4th best surfer/client on the island. Ryan Burch was there for a chunk of the week, and that guy surfs at an elite level, whole different world…then there was a Peruvian guy who was simply nasty and ballsy, great style and packed barrels at all sizes. Way better surfer than me. Then one of the aussies was probably a little better than me, but not by much. Oh and there was this Armenian guy there, who lives in LA, who was a surprisingly good short boarder…anyway My point being, if even a guy like me, from New York of all places, was among the stronger and more confident and competent surfers on the island, the rest were mostly pretty bad, inexperienced, etc. To their credit, some of the worst, most awkward looking surfers of the group would still have the stones to take off on sizable Cloudbreak waves.,they might look retarded whilst riding the wave, but, they’re charging nonetheless

probably ties into the fat girls surfing thread somehow

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
They are and they aren't. I was surprised at the level of some of the guests and thought it was crazy that they would spend the $$$$ to go to Tavarua. That noted, There are sections of the reef at Cloudbreak that are pretty user friendly and the "lifeguards" keep the less skilled out of the danger zones for the most part. There's also a couple of nearby breaks that are perfect for the less skilled rider. It is a dreamy place and holy crap can you get shacked on the inside shish kababs section.
I could have just quoted this instead of typing out my whole blather lol. Can Confirm the above

Reactions: npsp

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
They always have really good boards too. &Vehicles. We can't all be jealous ex kinda rippers. Let me know if anyone wants to give me any of your old surfborts. Roughly 34-37(make that35 - 40) liters, <6'6" and maybe a trip too

Reactions: Subway
May 10, 2018
I've been to Fiji to surf Cloubreak a number of times but never stayed on Tavarua. Out at Cloudbreak when it's good / decent size the level of surfing is high. The wave is actually intimidating but you can get the barrel of your life. I am a pretty competent surfer but am never even close to the best guy out there. But when it's head high and below anyone can surf it and there are all levels of surfers out there. There are also a bunch of other more user friendly waves in the area.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I wasn't complaining but I was almost begging someone really should give me some unwanted surfboard(s) dirt cheap. My wife told me, since she got a new $300 tattoo, then I can get a new surfboard to the tune of... Wait for it... $300. I need several. Thank you.

I need a new longboard too.

• Haha
Reactions: Iceman and Subway