Head gasket + cylinder head machining in San Diego County or Orange County

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
You really only need to machine the heads if they're warped. I've replaced head gaskets myself and didn't machine the heads because the shop stated it didn't need to.

Reactions: Driftcoast

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I(f people maintained their vehicle like they give a sh!t maybe their gaskets wouldnt blow. In my experience you blow a head gasket because the engine got to hot. Why were you driving it at that temperature? Did you not expect this to happen? The head gasket is a failsafe so rather than the engine becoming a bomb it blows the gasket to relieve the pressure.

How often do you people check your fluids? Change them? Change Filters? My truck has air filter, coolant filters, oil filters and fuel filters as well as a water separator. I change my oil every 3500 miles need it or not. Are you just the Put gas in and go kinda gal?
No. There's numerous cars with shitty engineering that blow head gaskets and/or other major components no matter how good you are on maintenance. See fords 6.0 powerstroke for a good example.

Reactions: Driftcoast

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I found a shop to do it for roughly $3500 with head machining. Given used car prices, I'm paying it. @Muscles I cannot change who I am (an engineer) - the heads must be machined :) Also it's a flat 4 so it's an engine-out. I took your advice on the rotors and pads and used the spare tire jack which worked fine.

Reactions: Muscles

drunjk

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 27, 2017
b4 computers i believe old tool and die apprentices had to hand file a 1 2 3 block square to +or - one of ur mum's c un t hairs as a test. also could true heads by hand, wet norton 320 grit on a granite surface plate. dunno if worth trying on unserviceable modern garbage. driving it off a pier while screaming gibberish is probably the best option

Reactions: Muscles and PRCD

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
I(f people maintained their vehicle like they give a sh!t maybe their gaskets wouldnt blow. In my experience you blow a head gasket because the engine got to hot. Why were you driving it at that temperature? Did you not expect this to happen? The head gasket is a failsafe so rather than the engine becoming a bomb it blows the gasket to relieve the pressure.

How often do you people check your fluids? Change them? Change Filters? My truck has air filter, coolant filters, oil filters and fuel filters as well as a water separator. I change my oil every 3500 miles need it or not. Are you just the Put gas in and go kinda gal?
It's very common in subarus. It's also an expensive repair labor wise vs a typical inline 4 cylinder.