How’s the stock market?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Dead kitty bounce yesterday and today. Market still has 10 - 20% to fall. Look for market recovery throughout 2023 and beyond as we exit the recession, reaching new highs in 2024.

Young people who discovered investing through apps like Robinhood are in for an education straight from the School of Hard Knocks, continuing a generations-old Wall Street tradition. Graduates of that school usually do pretty well over their lifetimes of investing.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Dead kitty bounce yesterday and today. Market still has 10 - 20% to fall. Look for market recovery throughout 2023 and beyond as we exit the recession, reaching new highs in 2024.

Young people who discovered investing through apps like Robinhood are in for an education straight from the School of Hard Knocks, continuing a generations-old Wall Street tradition.
Yeah, the S&P is too expensive still. Gotta bleed out all the stimmy checks :roflmao:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I think by the end of the year demand (and therefore inflation) will start to ease and the Fed will fold. We are already starting to see a few layoffs in tech and a slowing of housing sales and all that entails. The only fly in the ointment I can see is if suppliers reduce supply to match demand keeping the curve the same as it is now with prices and profits high. We have already seen oil companies do this successfully so it may be the new way to do business across the board.

Reactions: r32

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I think by the end of the year demand (and therefore inflation) will start to ease and the Fed will fold. We are already starting to see a few layoffs in tech and a slowing of housing sales and all that entails. The only fly in the ointment I can see is if suppliers reduce supply to match demand keeping the curve the same as it is now with prices and profits high. We have already seen oil companies do this successfully so it may be the new way to do business across the board.
have noticed several posters who come here to take their morning dump, instead of doing it at home, in the comfort and privacy of their own bathrooms. perhaps we should wait until the parties in question have taken their daily sh!t in this thread, before making any hasty judgments ? :shrug:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Bad news is good news!
We need an erBber to rationalize this.
It's not news, and there's nothing to rationalize that we haven't seen before. It's someone with poor financial habits, which we tend to see more of in good times. Plain and simple.

People like you should be stoked at this- more opportunity to swoop up assets on the cheap in the fallout :beer:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If you get 2 new cars with $1k/mo payments, you’re quickly hitting this figure. 2x EV’s will get you there.

was thinking about the numbers and they are actually about right for a surgeon fresh off residency or lawyer who just made partner.

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
After the last 2 years of reduced pandemic sales, can confirm $350K just aint what it used to be. It's a fine living, even in an expensive region, but it really just means you are comfortably, but barely, upper middle class. Take a few solid vacations every year, don't have to be TOO budget conscious on the weekly groceries and such, but you aren't flying first class everywhere, and you aren't buying 2nd and 3rd homes in Aspen or Carmel. You REALLY have to be a screwup though to have "real" financial difficulties if you are pulling in 300+ per year. Aside from catastrophe and act of god type stuff of course. those can bankrupt even the most frugal high earner. I was basically at half-pay for 2020 and 2021, and, while we did scale back on luxury purchases and dining out etc, it was the pandemic, so there just wasn't as much opportunity to spend big bucks. It was $50 houseplants instead of $5,000 trips to Kauai

I wasn't/am not so into fancy stuff though that i would ever carry such massive debt just for a couple of vehicles. I lease my Cherokee for like $415 a month, and my wife's convertible was paid in cash in 2015, and will last as long as we do, with the whopping 3,000 miles we drive it every year. BMW's are just getting broken in at 100,000, and we're still around 80

Reactions: kawika and sdsrfr

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i know, it's a very elitist type thing to say, and it certainly comes with caveats like "if you get frugal in some aspects of your life, all of a sudden that $350K can be made to seem like a million." But there is a balance, for me anyway, to be sought. I'm not earning this money to KEEP it all. I'm earning it to enjoy it, provide for my family, save some for retirement, give a bunch away to worhtwhile causes and people in need, and spend it semi-lavishly on friends/family. So, yeah, if I made a lifestyle shift and behaved and lived like a man who makes $75K, that $350k would be a nice big number.

But, being a salesman, instead of altering my lifestyle (which I like very much thank you) I just sell more stuff, and keep the "big" expenses to reasonable amounts (like my vehicle example above, and my mortgage is extremely affordable given the size of my house and its condition and location).