YOLO ALERTS

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Technically they did offer to pay for the ding repair but their attitude was extremely salty. They were pissed that I mentioned something on erBB before talking to them, and called me out for burning them. After waiting 4 weeks for ding repair and paying 80 bucks I'd rather eat the cost instead of having to deal with them.
Broke their wall of positive noise. Wild.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Broke their wall of positive noise. Wild.
Even gave them some advice on how to handle the situation. But they were like, "oh this really hurts our business". And I was like, this is probably my 6th board from you guys and this is pretty shitty service... all you had to do was pad the board. I'm 100% allergic to surfboard companies that try and play off those small business woes. My dad had a small business for over 40 years which I on and off again ran for 5 or so years. Not once did we ever complain to customers about how hard it is to run a small business or take the pitty route if we ever made a mistake.

They knew they fucked up. They knew before I even realized that when it got fixed, it would look like ass. Instead of owning the situation, they were salty from the onset that I mentioned it here and asked for advice. Well sorry, I've just never had a board shipped to me arrive with a crushed nose.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It’s just a daft way to respond. I’m small biz and call me second generation at that -

I’d be shipping koolaid hats stickers and other merch just bc of his Yolo’s, let alone public posting of them. He is an industry influential like some other boar hoars posting here.

Anticipation is the biggest aspect of customer satisfaction and they need to correct the anticipation of a botched experience. That’s on them.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Solution = Varial Carbon. Same price, MUCH better service, and better product IMO. I used to be a DA/JT disciple, but not likely going forward.
I emailed them after-hours following unboxing and finding a minor foam blem I was curious about.

I had a reply from Paul within an hour letting me know they were on it with full assessment all the way up to the shaper by COB next day.

I cannot commend them enough on the handling of my minuscule question.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Was thinking of yolo''ing a DA after my bonus hits next week.... Should I be worried about shipping?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Varial has amazing service. Once they accidentally routed my board for futures instead of FCS. I had to turn down a free 5-fin set of futures multiple times. They were so cool about it I couldn't even accept the offer. I don't want to undermine DAs amazing work and craftsmanship, but if I ever get a carbon board again, I'm definitely going to go Varial. Now we have to start petitioning Sharp Eye to shape Varial foam.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Varial has amazing service. Once they accidentally routed my board for futures instead of FCS. I had to turn down a free 5-fin set of futures multiple times. They were so cool about it I couldn't even accept the offer. I don't want to undermine DAs amazing work and craftsmanship, but if I ever get a carbon board again, I'm definitely going to go Varial. Now we have to start petitioning Sharp Eye to shape Varial foam.
Have a regular Varial on the way now, and wish now I'd ordered it carbon. But I didn't want to deal with the meltage issue. Do they offer a white tint, as seen on the nose-donked DA board?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Experiences with Varial:
1. Small rail ding due to shipping. They refunded me the money for the repair that day.
2. They accidentally installed white instead of black fin boxes. Paul was very apologetic and offered to remake the board, but im no diva.