But how does solar work when it rains?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
LOL!!!!!!! Just look at how many square miles they covered in panels to electrify a handful of homes on a speck of the map. :roflmao:

If you look it up on google maps you will see that they took three very large farms that would have been producing crops to feed people and covered them in solar panels. Never mind the loss of crops and the loss of greenery. Lets cover the planet in chinese solar panels. Big deal they can power a Ryan Homes subdivision with a little left over. Get fukked. Seriously.

BUH TEH CROPS AND TEH GREEEENERY

:roflmao:

• Love
Reactions: hal9000

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Impressive. I didn’t read the article, does it address efficiency with a 90 to 100% cloud cover?

Rain doesn’t make any difference. Cloud cover does.

Ask me how I know that.
Oh the solar expert is here everyone.

How long do you think a hurricane lasts?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
LOL!!!!!!! Just look at how many square miles they covered in panels to electrify a handful of homes on a speck of the map. :roflmao:

If you look it up on google maps you will see that they took three very large farms that would have been producing crops to feed people and covered them in solar panels. Never mind the loss of crops and the loss of greenery. Lets cover the planet in chinese solar panels. Big deal they can power a Ryan Homes subdivision with a little left over. Get fukked. Seriously.

how much land and sea floor acreage is required to drill for oil, to frack, or extract oil from shale?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

One doesn’t have to be an expert to read their charge controller input during different conditions.

Depends on the hurricane, but the hurricane isn’t an issue unless the panels get blown away. The issue is the cloud cover during daylight hours.

Two swings, two misses.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
For a development of that size or the entire USA and territories?
For the entire USA.

Solar and other technologies will get smaller and more efficient.

Will oil fields get smaller and more efficient?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Impressive. I didn’t read the article, does it address efficiency with a 90 to 100% cloud cover?

Rain doesn’t make any difference. Cloud cover does.

Ask me how I know that.
Funny, every time they showed the satellite photos of Ian, there were a shiit ton of clouds. :unsure:

But to Grossdad's point, I did the the math- 350 panels per household. That seems excessive.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011

This is actually my realm of professional expertise. What do you want to know?

Irradiance is a measurable that affects production. Mostly driven by cloud cover. Rain means fuck all, actually can help by cleaning the panels.

Most fields that are used for installs, at least at the utility scale, are A. Fallow and B. Leased. Typically there is a reclamation plan for after the usable life of the plant (30-35 years at this point).

Let me know if you have any more questions about it?

Aloha Comrade.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
For the entire USA.

Solar and other technologies will get smaller and more efficient.

Will oil fields get smaller and more efficient?
You forgot to login as Hal.

I know.

Not relevant to my post.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
This is actually my realm of professional expertise. What do you want to know?

Irradiance is a measurable that affects production. Mostly driven by cloud cover. Rain means fook all, actually can help by cleaning the panels.

Most fields that are used for installs, at least at the utility scale, are A. Fallow and B. Leased. Typically there is a reclamation plan for after the usable life of the plant (30-35 years at this point).

Let me know if you have any more questions about it?

Aloha Comrade.
Unfuckingpossible. The solar panels on his boat charge in the dark!

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You forgot to login as Hal.

I know.

Not relevant to my post.
You should have read the article. It's a good story about a community living with renewables. There's no political slant to the post other than to show it can work. It's also a response to Gromsdad's "how are Teslas charging" post.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You should have read the article. It's a good story about a community living with renewables. There's no political slant to the post other than to show it can work. It's also a response to Gromsdad's "how are Teslas charging" post.
I’ve been a proponent at all levels. In a realistic sense.

So you started another thread to contest the factual content of a thread grommy started. You could have posted the same thing on that thread.

But no.

You need the virtual attention.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
One doesn’t have to be an expert to read their charge controller input during different conditions.

Depends on the hurricane, but the hurricane isn’t an issue unless the panels get blown away. The issue is the cloud cover during daylight hours.

Two swings, two misses.
i have the impression - but do not know, it actually sounds like you know more about this than i do - that storage technology gets better and better. that is the main thing held us back from solar when we looked at it 5-6 years ago or so - the ability to store power during outages, cloud cover etc. has storage technology evolved?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I’ve been a proponent at all levels. In a realistic sense.

So you started another thread to contest the factual content of a thread grommy started. You could have posted the same thing on that thread.

But no.

You need the virtual attention.
More value added.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
i have the impression - but do not know, it actually sounds like you know more about this than i do - that storage technology gets better and better. that is the main thing held us back from solar when we looked at it 5-6 years ago or so - the ability to store power during outages, cloud cover etc. has storage technology evolved?
Not really. Battery storage for residential use is a bit stagnant at the present. The Tesla wall is expensive as hell, but has probably the highest quality/reliability on the market. For utility scale, no, it sucks. It's being installed, but the costs are huge and they have a glitch where they catch fire from time to time. Pumped hydro (2 reservoirs, pump uphill using solar during the day, let it come downhill at night turning turbines) is 'clean' storage, but in environmentally sensitive locales (California), it's nearly impossible to get approval. Bugs and bunnies man, save the bugs and bunnies!

• Love
Reactions: npsp and PRCD

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
So that’s a lot of Teslas driving past the closed gas stations.

BTW, how many square miles of Texas, Oklahoma etc are taken up by oil rigs? The Permian Basin alone is almost 100,000 square miles.
You should also look up how much solar has been installed in the Permian. It's a lot more than you'd think.

Reactions: PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Not really. Battery storage for residential use is a bit stagnant at the present. The Tesla wall is expensive as hell, but has probably the highest quality/reliability on the market. For utility scale, no, it sucks. It's being installed, but the costs are huge and they have a glitch where they catch fire from time to time. Pumped hydro (2 reservoirs, pump uphill using solar during the day, let it come downhill at night turning turbines) is 'clean' storage, but in environmentally sensitive locales (California), it's nearly impossible to get approval. Bugs and bunnies man, save the bugs and bunnies!
good to know. i always figure - particularly after a devastating storm season - that smarter minds are are working on home storage and it's time will come. looked at Tesla Wall briefly, with a layman's eye, and no doubt there are others. when it's feasible technically and financially viable, i'm very open to the possibilities coz here in SE NC, the threat to the grid is real and regular, so the appeal of solar is obvious.

fwiw, i have a few friends/neighbors who added solar and i have the distinct impression most of them do not clearly understand the current realities and limitations. so be it - it's an industry still in infancy and i'm in no hurry to be an early adopter. i can wait.:cheers: