board logos

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Yessir. Winner!
Mark is a good friend and I've bought many of his shapes over the years. Love his boards.
He is an old school Santa Cruz sort of backyard shaper but he started out with Pearson Arrow and one other one that I don't recall the name of but went out on his own after that and was quite successful for a long time.
The photo was from a surf contest in Newport back in 2006 and I was surprised to see a guy riding one of his boards down here so I had to take a snap of it to send him.
You are correct. He hung it up some time ago and works in some kind of water management job now and seems to really like it.
Glad to see you know who it is and appreciate his crafts.
We probably have some other friends in common. :cheers:

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
wish id found him earlier. he was a fishin' fool too as i recall. is he shaping on the side at all? was such a great board at the landing

Reactions: keenfish

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
missing it. not so great of a logo but if the board was good who cares?
Ehhh I’m just being a jagass. Yeah, all this logo talk assumes the important stuff checks out I assume. Still, The logo carries some value IMO — whether it’s just the aesthetics or cause you have some relationship with the shaper. All personal preference.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
wish id found him earlier. he was a fishin' fool too as i recall. is he shaping on the side at all? was such a great board at the landing
Goin loves to fish and he is a damn good fisherman.
I don't know if he does any side jobs now.
I sort of lost touch with him over the years.
Just like a lot of my old friends.. at this age we all just kind of drift off on our own paths but always good to see each other when paths cross again.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Ehhh I’m just being a jagass. Yeah, all this logo talk assumes the important stuff checks out I assume. Still, The logo carries some value IMO — whether it’s just the aesthetics or cause you have some relationship with the shaper. All personal preference.
No, you're not a jhagass. I just prefer pure function over branding. The logo carries no value for me. Its all shape. Two things: I dont want- a black or dark colored board because they look like seals, and I dont want any red on it because nearly every fishing lure has some red on it.

I think this thread was mis-titled. Should have been "greatest surfboard logo ever".

Greatest surf brand icon ever in my opinoin is: HIC

Hic Surf - Home | Facebook

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
some good logo'z here!

allow me to please throw in a few pix of 1 of L.A. most famous of shaperz, Mr. Jeff Ho:
for his logo is pretty darn iconic, if ya knew your sheee~it, back then...
Ho~daddy-1.jpg
+
Ho~daddy-2.jpg

+
Ho~daddy-3.jpg

+
below, it'z November, '77 i gotta wax up that ol' 7'1" Zephyr pintail single~fin that i found in a dumpster as i headed home from Venice High, buckled she wuz, but no biggie, we fixed it, i got so friggin' tubed at Thee ol' Oil Pier at El Porto that winter,
me Mom's ~{rip} saw me dis~appear, come out, she thought it wuz cool, hahaha, yow!
rw~'77~Zephyr.JPG

+
oh ah,
buy thee way,
any of you rich~boyz wanna buy 1 of my ol' Zephyr Jacketz?
here ya go, bust out your credit and you too can wear, what i done did, many yearz ago, hahaha..

rw z~jacket-01.JPG

ah~hahahahaha,
some dude wantz how much for my ol' sheeee~it{?}
yikez...

but that ol' Zephyr logo, it be pretty cool,
especially if it sayz "team" on it, ya know?
:waving:
rw

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
more ~ from L.A.!
Con~1.jpg

I used to ride for Con Surf~Shop,
back in '79. Con Colburn wuz an ol' school legend, been doin biz' since '59,
his surf~shop wuz on Pico Blyd wright past Lincoln in Santa Monica, his factory wuz in Venice, on Venezia,
Nester wuz thee glasser, + Susan, his wife, ran the operations desk, this wuz wright b4 Sarlo'z Dad reality office
on West Washington, {b4 it wuz re~named Abbot Kinney blvd like it be called now~a~dayz},
iirc...

Bill Urbany used to shape for Con Surf~shop,
pix below, are of me ~ {a young rw aged 17 then} on 1 of Bill Urbany'z board, a 6'1" round pin single fin,
l8 summer, '79, tryin' to get rad after my 1st stint in Hawaii,
on Oahu'z North Shore in March/April '79, at age of 16...
Con surfboard.jpg
+
backside 360 con single fin.jpg

happy surfin', ya~allllzl!
rw
:waving:

Last edited:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Anyone recognize this one?

Wow that's a blast from the past. I bought a used chunky thruster Goin off the rack from NC Boardshop with busboy money when I was 16. Ended up in the hands of my little bro who broke it surfing south of Manresa. I recall it was a conversation starter with some of the better beaches surfers back in the day and recognized the label.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Great thread. I 5/7 would bang this coffee table book if anyone publishes it.

Some of my favorites out of the garage boneyard, glassers included.

Image (3).jpegImage (4).jpegImage (5).jpegImage (6).jpegImage (7).jpegImage (8).jpegImage (9).jpegImage.jpegImage (2).jpegImage (11).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish and JDJ

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Here is a cool old board from my stash with a bunch of pretty cool logos and stickers on it. This board is like a time capsule of peak 1980s. How it ended up in New Jersey is beyond me. I communicated with the guy who made it years ago and was told it was definitely a team rider board.

100_1923.jpg

100_1924.jpg

100_1925.jpg

100_1922.jpg

100_1926.jpg

100_1927.jpg

Reactions: slipped_disc

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Surprised no one has mentioned Wayne Miyata(RIP) yet. Maybe his logo isn’t as cool as I think or he’s been gone too long for many of you to know who he was. But he’s definitely an icon among board builders, especially around the South Bay/Hermosa/Cypress StreetC12FE3FA-2101-4440-B9AA-D8371630A672.jpeg