2022 Tropical Systems

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Power flickered late morning and was down most of the early afternoon. Close to A1A and not a very rainy storm in Jax Beach. Consistently windy though. The 8pm shows a massive windfield, but I don't think it's more than 30-35 a couple hundred yards back from the beach with N/NNE exposure on the backside in North Florida. The map is showing 40 almost to Crystal River on the Gulf, but if you're even a few miles inland it's not that strong, especially since it's over land the whole way.

Dixie I dunno what traffic is like GTFO but I might have empty bowels and a full coffee mug when the NHC 5am is released. If you're on the onshore side and you're creekfront...

* fuckhuge windfield
* fuckawful tide timing
* slower than fuck

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
It's gonna tangle with that frontal boundary and blow for days looks like just another wind fiesta for us north of the cape. Y'all take care there Georgia -North Carolina. It is interesting on some level, at least people had plenty of time to party.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yeah - not too stoked here in Charleston. Low tide first thing in the AM. Gonna assess then and may haul ass before the tide comes in if it turns out we're not on the backside of the storm.
The only time I was in Charleston (nice town, BTW) I remember thinking, "A lot of this place is only like 2 feet above sea level. They are screwed if a hurricane ever comes around."

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hugo was widely considered the most significant forest disaster in South Carolina history.[120] Across 23 counties, 4.4 million acres (1.8 million hectares) experienced the loss of 6.6 million board feet (15,600 m3) of timber, equivalent to three to four times the annual timber harvest; this was a greater loss of timber than observed in Hurricane Camille, the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, and the Yellowstone fires of 1988, combined.

• Wow
Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
How was/is it for you? Standing water?

Fishing over for a while?
Minor. Lost power for a few hours, worked from home, kinda shitty night's sleep Wed night with the wind noise.

Looked kinda wonky first thing but it was clean on the face. Not much rain and basically no street flooding in my part of Jax Beach. Dunes are in tact but got hit pretty hard. Our Pier (sadly) appears to be in perfect working order; the thing half-collapsing and making a second jetty would have been epignar. Flagler and Sunglow (Daytona area) got partially amputated as of last night.

I'll be celebrating Dad's 81st in Sebastian this weekend so I expect I'll wet a line; not sure if the water quality is going to be ass or what but rain runoff is generally good for the snook, although they'll have been cleared out down there for over 36 hours at the least, and it's supposed to be very bluebird which is usually bad for fishing.

I would expect the storm surge + rain + lake + water treatment issues did a number on an extremely rich inshore fishery in SW Florida.

First morning in the 60s at the coast + slate grey skies. Summer 2022 is officially DONE.

Just hope most of the fixed income Seniors in manufactured/mobile homes in Lee/Charlotte Counties GTFO to higher ground.

Reactions: Mr Doof and ElOgro

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Hugo sucked. Was only a cat 1 by the time it came by us inland. Power was out for like 3 weeks. Ripped the roof of my school and had to be bused like an hour to another school. Learned to cook a lot of things on a grill and do not recommend frozen pizza on a propane grill. Terrible.

In summary, canes are cool until they make landfall

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
made landfall just below us and should peter out as it moves north....but all the models forecast a sharp right turn to bring it back out to sea over OBX and then? this storm has a weird itinerary:shrug: