Florida Bros - How you doin?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
A friend's parents house is one house back from the beach on Fort Meyers Beach. They are expecting the worst when they attempt to return this weekend. Have another friend that has a second home in Cape Coral and guessing that's wrecked too.

My relatives and parents just North of Tampa all fared OK. If the track had been 50-150 miles more to the north they all would have been in the path. My family dodged a bullet on this one.

Reactions: Mr Doof

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
Damn, a complete warzone down there. So pretty, minimal surf, but a very beautiful place especially before it all got built out

Jan 10, 2014
Terrible stuff coming out of ft meyers and sanibel area, hope most evacuated. my area-st pete was spared again. could have easily been us. We get 1 hurricane in the gulf this season and it’s a disastrous one with pretty much no surf. Pinellas county was choppy and small by yesterday mid day. Flat today

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sanibel Island should never be rebuilt, nor should the causeway.

It should be used to draw attention to the National Flood Insurance program giveaway, which should be dismantled.

A fiscally responsible policy would be to turn these zones back into uninsurable areas once these sorts of disasters hit.

What a tremendous waste of taxpayers dollars.

Turn these areas wild again and free from habitation - they should have never been habitated in the first place.

Reactions: Redeyes

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Sanibel Island should never be rebuilt, nor should the causeway.

It should be used to draw attention to the National Flood Insurance program giveaway, which should be dismantled.

A fiscally responsible policy would be to turn these zones back into uninsurable areas once these sorts of disasters hit.

What a tremendous waste of taxpayers dollars.

Turn these areas wild again and free from habitation - they should have never been habitated in the first place.
right. what about Doc Ford? and Tomlinson? where are they supposed to go?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Never mind, i thought you knew a thing or two about Sanibel Island.
I've been there once, I was on drugs or drinking during my waking hours though.

What I do know is the geography: sand/mangroves/marsh.

A really bad place to build in light of the fact in sits in an area very prone to hurricanes.

It it weren't for the federal government bankrolling it with insurance money it would be just another shitty FL barrier island full of mosquitos.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The FL gulf is more prone to direct hits, than the east coast, where there is a chance that the gulf stream steers the eye along the coast.

Those skinny strips of barrier islands are so dangerous though. There's an area in Cocoa Beach where there is only room for one property on each side of the road. River on one side, ocean on the other. I assume that a big enough storm will eventually turn that section into another Inlet.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
My wife and I moved to Tampa last year. My mom has consistantly been giving us a hard time for putting ourselves (mostly my 2 little boys) in harms way. Every phone call she'd say "Aren't you worried about the hurricanes?" To which I'd reply "mom, a major hurricane hasn't hit Tampa in over 100 years. Relax." I seriously thought we were safe.

Well I'd been tracking Ian since it was a tropical depression (I was hoping it would send some waves to the Gulf Coast). Then I start getting a really bad feeling when the eye trajectory was to pass directly over our home. It's kinda hard to take things called "Spaghetti Models" seriously though.

But last Monday I was basically sh@tting myself. I'd just landed a new job in Clearwater but it looked like my new workplace and house were destined to be underwater. 2 years of hard work down the toilet.

I panicked and we booked a suite at a Hilton in Miami and drove down. We had to call a bunch of different hotels before we could get a room because of the evacuations. It was pouring the entire 5 hour drive southeast. A really ominous vibe.

My power went out on Wednesday and just came on yesterday. We faired pretty well. A bunch of signs and powerlines got knocked down in Tampa but overall the city is fine. Had Ian taken its original path I would have lost everything. It's a strange experience because now I have something akin to survivors guilt. I'm stoked it didn't hit us but bummed about the situation down south.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Pretty grateful that my mother and aunt’s places in Sarasota came out unscathed. I’m in the middle of a flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles and sharing a row with an older couple who are flying with a cat and one backpack. Said they lived on Pine Island and lost literally everything but the contents of the backpack and the cat. Watching her try to hold it together while telling us was pretty sobering, I need another Bloody Mary.