September of 2022: What's your favorite board right now?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
C4 PJHP

I've sold four boards in under two months and I have 3-4 more about to be peddled. #yolokarma is Ghandi mode

I thought it'd be chunkier and gruntier than it wound up being on Saturday, and decided to try PJHP as a thruster for the first time since the first session, when I had Khloe trusty set and no grub screws (FCS2). It wasn't chunky or grunty. It went better with larger fins but still lacked the crack rock quad spice the PJs have. Still felt outstanding top to bottom even if I felt slow/late getting to the lip most of the time. Thankfully it wound up being kind of re-wedging nuggets underneath, predominantly backhand, eg ideal for trusty.

Probably swoop a PJ Pro this fall/winter.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Are all 7-8 boars PJ variants?? LOL
tl;dr no, and fcuk yo couch!
:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

My first Baby Buggy. Poly, with mild tail issues - not malignantly spreading (yet), and I swooped a cabron warp Baby Buggy a couple years ago and just never really rode the poly anymore.
Local custom with massive deck denting that I'd need to lose about 15# to ride.
Simon Anderson with several big ding fixes that I'd need to lose about 15# to ride.
Local custom 6'6" banana rocker thruster. Basically a small Pascuales special. Snapter in half and had it fixed, and the repair's glass was heavily abused in the rest of the trip. That I'd need to lose about 15# to ride.
Two 15+ year old local shapes (one rack, one personal cast off) from when I was in my 20s and could jog regularly. I'm 41 and my left ankle acts up if I take two steps in a flip flop. That I'd need to lose about 30# to ride.
Local custom groveler that's been ridden very, very hard, snapped the nose half off, seems more susceptible to dinging in its old age..... It feels dead now.

The Puddle Fish I guess could be considered a PJ variant. Way too much rocker for what it is = no place in the quiver. Sold quite some time ago.

IDGAF what anyone says. The PJ/PJHP distance per pump and pumps per second are outstanding. North Florida is plagued by flat faces. Basically second pump on both boards I knew I had a complete gem (for me). Maybe the Pier Queers are happy catching three waves an hour and getting burned/snowballed on two of them and don't need the speed. Maybe the 5'something" manlets don't need the speed. I desire the speed. Pumpy hoppy give it to me gogogogogogo speed.

Some boards, like the Puddle Fish, they don't get going until the shitty wave bumpsquash thrusters do. They feel like less responsive versions of those boards.
Some boards, like the Biscuit, have the low rocker, but they don't respond, quickly, when you unweight to pump. Sticks like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth, and I surf onshore conditions that require mogul-hopping regularly.
Some boards, like the Monkfish and RV, pumping for speed doesn't seem to even do anything. Like, whatever you got paddling, and whatever the wave decides to give you, that's it.
Some boards, like the Baby Buggy and OG Rocket, have outstanding response and pump quickly, but their affinity for slightly steeper faces/slightly more push vs PJs requires an annoying amount of ginger finessing when bottom turning around sections or doing a roundhouse in flatter-faced/weaker surf.
Some boards, like the Sub Driver, have outstanding ability to carry on a rail, but you need a decently clean face to be able to lean into a rail and not immediately bog on a piece of chop, and while it doesn't need to be steep, it wants a little something other than a formless wall with zero chip-in potential - at least under chest high.

The PJs paddle in very well + generate and carry speed like crazy.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

My first Baby Buggy. Poly, with mild tail issues - not malignantly spreading (yet), and I swooped a cabron warp Baby Buggy a couple years ago and just never really rode the poly anymore.
Simon Anderson with several big ding fixes that I'd need to lose about 15# to ride.
Local custom 6'6" banana rocker thruster. Basically a small Pascuales special. Snapter in half and had it fixed, and the repair's glass was heavily abused in the rest of the trip. That I'd need to lose about 15# to ride.
Two 15+ year old local shapes (one rack, one personal cast off) from when I was in my 20s and could jog regularly. I'm 41 and my left ankle acts up if I take two steps in a flip flop. That I'd need to lose about 30# to ride.
Local custom groveler that's been ridden very, very hard, snapped the nose half off, seems more susceptible to dinging in its old age..... It feels dead now.

The Puddle Fish I guess could be considered a PJ variant. Way too much rocker for what it is = no place in the quiver. Sold quite some time ago.

IDGAF what anyone says. The PJ/PJHP distance per pump and pumps per second are outstanding. North Florida is plagued by flat faces. Basically second pump on both boards I knew I had a complete gem (for me). Maybe the Pier Queers are happy catching three waves an hour and getting burned/snowballed on two of them and don't need the speed. Maybe the 5'something" manlets don't need the speed. I desire the speed. Pumpy hoppy give it to me gogogogogogo speed.

Some boards, like the Puddle Fish, they don't get going until the shitty wave bumpsquash thrusters do. They feel like less responsive versions of those boards.
Some boards, like the Biscuit, have the low rocker, but they don't respond, quickly, when you unweight to pump. Sticks like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth, and I surf onshore conditions that require mogul-hopping regularly.
Some boards, like the Monkfish and RV, pumping for speed doesn't seem to even do anything. Like, whatever you got paddling, and whatever the wave decides to give you, that's it.
Some boards, like the Baby Buggy and OG Rocket, have outstanding response and pump quickly, but their affinity for slightly steeper faces/slightly more push vs PJs requires an annoying amount of ginger finessing when bottom turning around sections or doing a roundhouse in flatter-faced/weaker surf.
Some boards, like the Sub Driver, have outstanding ability to carry on a rail, but you need a decently clean face to be able to lean into a rail and not immediately bog on a piece of chop, and while it doesn't need to be steep, it wants a little something other than a formless wall with zero chip-in potential - at least under chest high.

Bro, was just joking! Ride what works for ya!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lost child...:foreheadslap:
And local custom child. But Josh doesn't like shaping EPS and I think it's magic, especially for small surf and large surfers.

I know you like Stretch. But some of his thoughts are scary to me. 50/50 quad rears? Hard pass. And having ridden waist-stomach-chest high surf in Central California, it's hilarious how perfect it is and how much easy speed is there for the taking.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
And local custom child. But Josh doesn't like shaping EPS and I think it's magic, especially for small surf and large surfers.

I know you like Stretch. But some of his thoughts are scary to me. 50/50 quad rears? Hard pass. And having ridden waist-stomach-chest high surf in Central California, it's hilarious how perfect it is and how much easy speed is there for the taking.
Relax grow some skin braa lost child was just reference you liked your Lost boards and like CI very popular boards that work for many. As far as Stretch and Fins Unlimited custom fins for me a least been perfect quad and twin set and even combined the two for perfect match. I currently own 6 sets hate fooling around with fins:shrug:

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC

Thanks, Sharkbiscuit. Your description is exactly what I face and prefer in NC. Good run down of the Mayhem small waves species.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City

The PJ I had was solid. I surfed it a lot at the time, it was a good board.

Ever try an Aipa Contemporary fish? Reading your post, I bet you would dig it also.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Moving a few boards that just fell into weird spots in the quiver. Gradually bumping volume up a touch as well. Selling/sold my 5'11" Xanadu Xank/5'11" Maurice Cole RV. Sticking with Timmy Pattersons for now.

Favorite board at the moment is a 6'1" T. Patterson IF-15.