Catch Surf Opinion

Feb 3, 2021
Hi Guys,

Was thinking of getting a 6'0 skipper Catch Surfboard as i am already pretty tired here in he UK of having 1 good day and the rest pretty bad ones (even in high waves season).

What do you think about this Surfboard Brand? Good/Bad? Buy it/Trash it? Personal experience?

Jan 7, 2020
A softboard isn't going to make surfing shitty waves fun. For marginal days, I would echo the above, stubby quads have always worked well for me in English beachbreak/junk. Lots of good options in the SW from the bigger factories and one man bands. The key to surfing in the UK is to basically forget about it in summer and have other interests to keep fit/active/sane.

Reactions: joaquin386
Feb 3, 2021
I already have from Ocean Magic the Pyzel Phantom (for good days) and Astro Pop but i still rent sometimes a foamie when have those gutless waves. So wanted a board for those days and didn't want to have to pay another £600. So was looking for that foamie that at least kind of give me those massive extra litters without being those longboard fomies which barely move.

Normally go to the SW or kimmeridge bay (will be going to Scotland-Thurso beginning of november)

Last edited:

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
Hi Guys,

Was thinking of getting a 6'0 skipper Catch Surfboard as i am already pretty tired here in he UK of having 1 good day and the rest pretty bad ones (even in high waves season).

What do you think about this Surfboard Brand? Good/Bad? Buy it/Trash it? Personal experience?
My wife and kid both have one (mid-length and short board). They love 'em. A lot of people in San Clemente have them. If you're going to go for a softtop, I'm thinking they're kind of middle of the road. Better than Costco, but I've seen a few others that I think I like more. I might get one for summertime shore break.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
The Catch Surf foamies are fun. There, I said it. But, they are not surfboards. They're great for sunny blown out days drinking beers on the beach and bashing around with your friends. If you're trying to be serious and bust some lips there is nothing that will replace a good old real board.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This summer there was little to no surf where I live. There was however this well formed sandbar at the end of my street that almost every night after work would produce a soft shin to thigh high wave that would break and reform allowing for occasional 50 yard rides to the sand. This wave was so weak that it was barely ridable on a regular longboard. I borrowed a 10 foot foamy lesson board from a friend's surf shop a bunch of times and ultimately bought a 9 foot Log model in July. The foamy got me in the water a bunch this summer where there is no way I would have dragged a $1,000 longboard out of the house and there isn't a groveller in existence that would have made those weak waves worthwhile.

Funny thing is I had a kooky try-hard longboard snob make a snarky comment about me owning a foamy and I reminded him that I could surf circles around him on any equipment of his choosing in addition to being able to shape and glass said equipment.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Oh man. That was awful. I wonder what the homies back in Kamchatka would think about what Yuri’s become since moving to US of A.