Does anyone make something like this...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've become addicted to the glide of my 7'0 mid length. Really nice smooth turns, good wave catching ability but mostly it's the feel of the planing area. Recently I grabbed my brother's Lost RV to try something different. Even though it's only 5'7, it's 21 inches wide and gives me some of that same feeling but in a much smaller package. Also has really nice, thin 2 3/8" rails so feels good when turning and not boat like. However with the width, shortness and especially the wide tail, it's not ideal.

I'm looking for something that splits the difference and retains some of the glide, like a 20+ inch wide 6' foot-ish with thin rails and some width in the nose and tail, but pulled in to rounded squash or round tail so it will hold in bigger surf. Something along the lines of the Dave Parameter Stubb Vector idea (had one of these a million years ago). Thinking either flat or very slight concave to vee out the tail.

Anyone doing boards like this that aren't super precious and hard to get?

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The Poacher sounds right up your alley:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

"The Egg Not features a relaxed rocker on the front end of the board which helps with paddle speed, wave catching, and overall glide. The curve is a bit above average which translates to helping tighten the arc of your turns without giving up speed. The thickness of the board is a little on the thin side for a board this size. These leaner rails make the board easier to put in the water and also helps it hold better in bigger surf."

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
That Poacher actually looks interesting. Is there a reputable shaper that makes something similar. I'll assume that Casa is taking the **** on Degree33, which is fair.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I've become addicted to the glide of my 7'0 mid length. Really nice smooth turns, good wave catching ability but mostly it's the feel of the planing area. Recently I grabbed my brother's Lost RV to try something different. Even though it's only 5'7, it's 21 inches wide and gives me some of that same feeling but in a much smaller package. Also has really nice, thin 2 3/8" rails so feels good when turning and not boat like. However with the width, shortness and especially the wide tail, it's not ideal.

I'm looking for something that splits the difference and retains some of the glide, like a 20+ inch wide 6' foot-ish with thin rails and some width in the nose and tail, but pulled in to rounded squash or round tail so it will hold in bigger surf. Something along the lines of the Dave Parameter Stubb Vector idea (had one of these a million years ago). Thinking either flat or very slight concave to vee out the tail.

At one point around where I surf tons of guys had a hypto Kyrpto's for this exact reason. It was a flood of hypto's ...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
All interesting boards but more eggy than maybe I'd want. Kinda thinking of a fuller width (but not thickness) shortboard more than a mid. Kind of along the lines of the short wide dumpster diver-y trend but pulled out to the low 6 foot range without gaining rail.

I had a Hypto for a long time but a properly sized one for me is 5'6. More than that and they become boats. At 51, I can paddle a 5'6 Hypto and get waves, but it's not really where I want to be glide wise. I was wishing the Hypto Step Up would be the answer but instead of stretching the Hypto out, they just put an absurdly thin, narrow, swallow tail on it which limited it's range and took away a lot of the fun and made more like a standard shortboard with a too wide nose.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
Furrow Floyd Pepper does this sooooo good but it's got different contours than whats in your wish list

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah, this looks pretty good.

I've thought about one of these before. Thanks for reminding me. Kinda want to throw channels in it and make it a twin.

This user-friendly versatile R. quad ticks all your boxes

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'm out in CA the month of December so I could order something and pick up then.

Besides a few Ricky Carrolls when I was in high school, never had anything shaped on the east coast anyway.

Oh, Faktion has some good looking channel bottom twins.

ah dang, could recommend shaper in CA but not there. Good luck. Proabably tons of options

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
some pron do oogle over

http://instagr.am/p/CgfhG8svS6R/
http://instagr.am/p/CVlHzqGvqG8/
http://instagr.am/p/Cd0_grSlMli/
http://instagr.am/p/CV39iv3PI-J/
:) :cheers:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Everyone makes one.

You're describing what I end up riding most days.

They'll work with you on the East Coast. They have multiple retailers in NJ and NY, or you can work out shipping with them. Just start by calling or emailing if you don't want to buy online. Coming from someone who has never bought a surfboard online.

Your original description. A stock 6'0" is 35L, so you can talk to WIll and Jason about customizing it or going shorter. The Disk series could be the way to go for more shortboard version of what you are describing.

The Zen series would be better as the waves get better.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
All interesting boards but more eggy than maybe I'd want. Kinda thinking of a fuller width (but not thickness) shortboard more than a mid. Kind of along the lines of the short wide dumpster diver-y trend but pulled out to the low 6 foot range without gaining rail.
A Christenson Surfer Rosa might be worth looking at also. Had a friend that liked his years back. Kinda like a performance fish meets a shortboard.

1663956243784.png

Reactions: Bman76