*** Official Fin Thread ***

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Picked up a Sharpeye Disco and I've been riding it with Large FCS Performer fins.
what construction?

the performer is a go to for me in the large size

have the old Medina fins which are just a different graphic and the PCC as well, tried some neo glass accelerators once and I returned them to the shop after one surf

for your style of waves that should be a good template, it's the perfect balance of drive and pivot

it all comes down to personal preference really, some ride large rakey fins in all conditions. I'll only ride these at more drawn out and open faced waves

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Performance Core. Was pretty bummed on the way the board worked. Was hoping this could be an all around board not just a groveller. Should still be decent this afternoon when I get home from work this afternoon. Going to dig into my son's fin collection to try some Accelorators or Reactors. Most of his fins are Mediums.
the accelerator mediums are a bit more of a med-large, quite similar to the performers just slightly smaller. I like them in my step ups and more narrowed tail boards, used to ride them in my hp shapes when I was a bit lighter too. had the old k.2 fins many years ago which are basically the reactor but just don't see the need for most conditions

Reactions: GromsDad

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think people have a hard time dialing quads in because they're mostly doing in on 5-fin convertible boards, which are most likely optimizing thruster fin placement and compromising quad placement to some degree

The boards I've had that were dedicated quads worked really well and fin selection was not nearly as difficult to dial in.

Also, you have to know your preferences. I know I like flat foiled fins all around and don't want to mess with 50/50's in the rear because it feels like I'm dragging kelp. So if a shaper recommends 50/50's in the back or has the rears placed closer to the stringer, that's probably not the quad for me.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I feel like I figured out twins and what does and doesn’t work for me and my quiver.

i always feel like I’m potentially wasting a session any time I am about to paddle out on an untested quad setup.

quads once dialed, no hesitations. Twins on the other hand…

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Playing around with this new digital protractor I picked up. Was measuring the cant angles on a few keels earlier with future bases. These were the numbers I got taken measurements in a vise. Pulled the same numbers when measuring them in the board as well. Figured I'd post incase somebody was curious on these.

Christenson 5°
Stamps 5°
Hobie 6°

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Too bad GG can't weigh in. I will take a guess - "Marketing". I would have to agree with him.
Haha. I dunno man, TA doesn’t exactly seem like a marketing snake-oil salesman kinda brand IMHO. That amount of flex clearly does… something, to how the fin reacts to the water. The resulting effect may not be for you, or everyone, but people have been using the greenough power blade single fin for years and seem to like it. It’s been much discussed here in the past (along with the tomo hatchet fins). Never tried one myself but would be curious. I found the “spring” on the krypt hatchets (tri or quad) too unpredictable to spend much time messing around with different setups.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Haha. I dunno man, TA doesn’t exactly seem like a marketing snake-oil salesman kinda brand IMHO. That amount of flex clearly does… something, to how the fin reacts to the water. The resulting effect may not be for you, or everyone, but people have been using the greenough power blade single fin for years and seem to like it. It’s been much discussed here in the past (along with the tomo hatchet fins). Never tried one myself but would be curious. I found the “spring” on the krypt hatchets (tri or quad) too unpredictable to spend much time messing around with different setups.
I am not 100% but pretty sure shapers/designers come to TA with specs and ideas and TA produce trial run first and if catches on then goes general public site :shrug: