A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Very interesting. It wasn't just a one off. They have also been landing some good size Bigeye up there mixed in with the Albacore. We haven't had albacore down south in 15 years.
A commercial guy told me they were getting dorado with the Albacore too, way further north. Thought that was pretty weird but also pretty cool. What's next, ono?

Reactions: Icu812 and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A commercial guy told me they were getting dorado with the Albacore too, way further north. Thought that was pretty weird but also pretty cool. What's next, ono?
Look at the volume of Dorado out in the channel right now. Hit the arrow -> button to see all 4 slides. this is absolutely insane right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wahoo at all. It's happened before.

http://instagr.am/p/CieZF3POAxx/
Here is some drone vid footage also.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ch8W_Dipbu2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just a report from the N jerz coast, mullet run is on. Albies and Spanish on rain bait within casting range. Need a couple of coll nights to get the resident bass active.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Just a report from the N jerz coast, mullet run is on. Albies and Spanish on rain bait within casting range. Need a couple of coll nights to get the resident bass active.
Good push with the swell; earlier this week looked to be primo. Bit out of light tackle casting and was having fun surfing.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
got permits with plans to fish the islands on the way home but never made it. heard it was slow anyway.

wind was up from the get go. was blowing 15 knots when we left the spot 43 miles from home. weeeee! it settled down once we got closer to the islands thankfully.

fun day. my sister out fished me and my boy got a couple. great day on the water. gonna be sore tomorrow

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
False albacore. Pain in the ass if you're offshore but stupidly fun inshore on a 3 or 4k reel. Had a couple really good feeds around the boat tonight. Too many other boats to keep them on top but still fun.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
False albacore. Pain in the ass if you're offshore but stupidly fun inshore on a 3 or 4k reel. Had a couple really good feeds around the boat tonight. Too many other boats to keep them on top but still fun.
Nice! Different name but same fish ya?
Are they any good to eat?
Our Albacore are.. well.. chicken of the sea. But the Skipjack are kind of like the Bonito. Gotta bleed and ice quick and they are good for sashimi or poke fresh. Otherwise not so good.

Reactions: _____

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
So just for fun and speaking of football size Tuna we had a bonanza of Yellowfin Tuna on a private charter aboard Apollo back in 2017. Out of San Diego fishing in N. Mex waters.
This charter was a company trip my buddy from out of state put on. Mostly rent rods.
We found a school late in the day that wanted to die and when that happens it's on like donkey kong.
I was high stick this trip (of course). :)
Hooked 21 and landed 19. This all took place over about 2 hours.