Firewire cancels FCS

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Futures is stoked!

“We are very excited that Firewire has chosen Futures Fins as the exclusive fin mounting system in their boards,” Futures President Alex Marinescu said. “Mark Price is a seasoned executive, surrounded by a team of world class professionals, and we’re sure that this change was not made lightly and is in the best interest of Firewire.”

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I would have loved to have been there when he said "premium board maker" with air quotes.
Dark Arts is an EPS blank carbon wrapped and vacuumed.

The new iBolic is an EPS blank with High Density ("HD") foam all around the rails, then HD foam down the middle of the board (basically a HD foam skeleton) then a multiple deckskins on top and vacuum sealed.

It's a solid build! If you built a Firewire here in the US, I guarantee it would be a $1,500 or more surfboard. That's premium for sure.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
My boards are dedicated to one fin setup. No five box atrocities for me.

If I want a board to surf either as a quad or a thruster I get two of the same boards. One quad, one tri.

This is the way.
seems wasteful, fcs 5 plug looks clean and tidy enough. I prefer futures for thrusters but a board with 5 big fin boxes just looks dumb. The fcs plug footprint is much smaller than a full base futurds box.

Kelly rode many 5 plugged fcs boards on his way to world titles, and it's not good for SB finest Duffy Andy Tyson? :monkey:

A legend in your own mind to the 10th degree, is that the same style of BBJ you partake in?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Pretty funny what FCS had to say. They sound salty over this. haha.

“It is disappointing that Firewire has chosen to remove ‘choice’ for their customers. This commercial decision will result in denying Firewire’s customers access to the FCSII system along with our exclusive range of high performance fins from world champion athletes to the best shapers globally, and revolutionary Swiss engineered H4 fins which we believe are the best fins in the world.”

“FCS high performance fins are the evolutionary result of long term partnerships with the best surfers and shapers in the world. Fin technology is as crucial as the surfboard itself and cannot be easily replicated. Even the decision not to use the FCS fin plug is a backwards step with Firewire customers now having the hassle of carrying tools every time they go for a surf.”

“It’s hard to believe that a premium board maker like Firewire doesn’t value the importance of premium fin technology and customer choice.”

“Looking forward, FCS has some exciting fin tech coming, which sadly Firewire customers will not have access to.” - Garth Grundy
They just had to throw "Swiss Engineering" in there :roflmao:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
They just had to throw "Swiss Engineering" in there :roflmao:
Looking forward to seeing FCS exciting upcoming fin tech :rolleyes: Let's hope it's a decent range of fiberglass fins...

Honestly, I do prefer the FCS2 box and at one point preferred the fins as well.

But I feel like FCS has stagnated (and removed all performance glass fins) and at least Future's has a solid set of ecosystem options. Not much interest in the H4 fins and I'd love to try the Nathan Florence big wave quad set but why would I ever order a gun with FCS2 when that's literally the only big wave option?

No surprise that Firewire would align on a Futures future. I have enough fins for both options that it doesn't really matter to me anymore but going forward I'll probably start to go futures for customs instead of FCS2.

Still think that FCS not encouraging an ecosystem of aftermarket fins does harm to their business.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Dark Arts is an EPS blank carbon wrapped and vacuumed.

The new iBolic is an EPS blank with High Density ("HD") foam all around the rails, then HD foam down the middle of the board (basically a HD foam skeleton) then a multiple deckskins on top and vacuum sealed.

It's a solid build! If you built a Firewire here in the US, I guarantee it would be a $1,500 or more surfboard. That's premium for sure.
No need way better construction for same cheaper then taiwan price:shrug:
Varial
Xtr
Cft/dft/legacy

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Looking forward to seeing FCS exciting upcoming fin tech :rolleyes: Let's hope it's a decent range of fiberglass fins...

But I feel like FCS has stagnated (and removed all performance glass fins) and at least Future's has a solid set of ecosystem options. Not much interest in the H4 fins and I'd love to try the Nathan Florence big wave quad set but why would I ever order a gun with FCS2 when that's literally the only big wave option?

No surprise that Firewire would align on a Futures future. I have enough fins for both options that it doesn't really matter to me anymore but going forward I'll probably start to go futures for customs instead of FCS2.

Still think that FCS not encouraging an ecosystem of aftermarket fins does harm to their business.
For thrusters, yes, no performance glass. They still have three upright twin, five keel and one quad option in performance glass.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Lo:shrug:oking forward to seeing FCS exciting upcoming fin tech :rolleyes: Let's hope it's a decent range of fiberglass fins... :shrug:

Have you tried the Fins Unlimited S#2 gun/step up set? Fiberglass and fcs two tabs.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
"Even the decision not to use the FCS fin plug is a backwards step with Firewire customers now having the hassle of carrying tools every time they go for a surf.”
Garth Grundy.
Yeah, Nah...but carrying a fin key could well put your back out so there is that.
Or just use FCS 2 because their fins don't need grub screws.
Anyone got a right side MF large for sale...?
:roflmao:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I don't care for Future's rear trailer options. I like their Thruster/fronts better though. FCS has a million fins right around one size/sweep range, but nothing big and swept.

Also don't like the Futures have to be cutaways if they're keels, they are kind of a pain in the ass to get in/out sometimes, and FCS2 likewise a pain in the ass sometimes.

FCS fusion boxes and them signing Jordy and releasing two tab Jordy larges would be swell.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
chances of me buying a firewire with either fin system is zero
90% of the boards I've ridden over the past 40 years have been self shaped and glassed but along the way I have been open to new technologies. I still have a 6'8 Surftech Mel Machine step up board stashed away that I bought probably 20 years ago. Thing is indestructible and the board works so I never got rid of it.

When Firewire first came out I bought one. It was one with the metal vent plug in the deck near the nose. A 6'2 but forget what model it was. It ended up taking on water where the vent plug was glassed in. I fixed it and sold it.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour