P-Pass Apr/May

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
On my travels over the years have met two different sets of guys that have been to P-Pass and couldn't say enough about it, just awesome.

So I'm looking to push my surf buddies to go to P-Pass this upcoming year in our typical travel window of mid-April into late May.
-we are all regular footed.

One of the group seems to be getting advice from someone he knows that says he has been, don't bother; wind is fickle and if it is really good that all of Hawaii shows up.
-honestly if it is one of those epic days that drew the big waves names, I'd likely be happy watching from the boat.
-would have to access it while there live.

Anyone have any experience here? According to my research, historically April is still a peak month and then the swell window seems to deteriorate as May approaches.

P-Pass was a bug put in my head back in 2008 and as east coaster trip of a lifetime, not getting any younger.

Cheers
:shaka:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Pretty sure it depends on the same swell as the NS so you will be a bit late in the season, Thar being said it seems like beautiful place with great fishing, other waterports and sight seeing. When I was this younger I was thinking of this place as s YOLO trip.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks guys, I think "travel gravity" is pulling us to our usual spot, maybe 2024 will be the year for something extra special.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i usually do one solo trip a year but 10 days on a deserted island solo sounds rough and probs expensive for a single camper. its expensive even when sharing a room in the camps over there.
I don't think it's as deserted as you think. There are other hotels on the island, I've heard of people going there without the camp and being just fine.

Reactions: CutnSnip

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Tough to do a strike mission IMO from East Coast to South Pacific, feels like the waves will be flat by the time I get there.

Reactions: mundus

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Who runs the boat if no camp?
Probably have to ask around. I remember someone here many moons ago (PEPE, I think?) who said it's not hard and he helped OTF do it as well.

That said it might be more trouble than it's worth if the boat people are more accustomed using their boats for fishing instead of catering to surfers.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Probably have to ask around. I remember someone here many moons ago (PEPE, I think?) who said it's not hard and he helped OTF do it as well.

That said it might be more trouble than it's worth if the boat people are more accustomed using their boats for fishing instead of catering to surfers.
I wouldn't fly all that way and risk it.

I would also anticipate acts of sabotage, as I've experienced in my travels.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I would love to surf P-Pass but it does seem like a tough nut to crack.

Prime season is winter in California. Flights are super expensive.

I doubt it's that inconsistent. It's probably only inconsistent compared to Indonesia.

I'd expect that it's a guaranteed waves situation but not a guaranteed score.

Even from the west coast it doesn't seem like a strike mission option just cause the flights look brutal.

Also it looks shallow AF. Definitely coming back home with some reef burns.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
The issue is the wind. It can get windy, and is windy, pretty often.

The wave itself is gnarly at double overhead.

That said, I'm going in late January. Jan/Feb is best in my experience. Loads of swell and favorable wind patterns, and there are a couple other fun passes if Palikir is Wade Goodall level.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli