Stab E.A.S.T. with Mick

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Doubt it.

How about a Dane & Craig Anderson (he was the guy responsible for Hyptos, right?) ?
Craig Anderson would be great to watch on a bunch of different alt boards but I think he's camera shy. Entertainment value between waves would probably be pretty dull. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess Fanning isn't all that exciting on land. He has good board knowledge though.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think Fanning is famously boring and the Australian surf mags relentless rip him for it.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
Cool to see John Simon in this. I was at an undisclosed point in baja a couple years ago. On one of the best days of the swell I was chasing he rocked up with a friend. The dude can absolutely rip and hes a super nice guy.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I think Fanning is famously boring and the Australian surf mags relentless rip him for it.
Didn't used to be. Remember the old "Eugene" days? I think the industry homogenized him to make him more marketable to everyone, not just the kids. He also got serous enough to WANT to win it all, and he did. I respect that kind of dedication to craft.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Didn't used to be. Remember the old "Eugene" days? I think the industry homogenized him to make him more marketable to everyone, not just the kids. He also got serous enough to WANT to win it all, and he did. I respect that kind of dedication to craft.
Yeah. IIRC he got injured and decided to stop getting blackout drunk and got super fit and disciplined while rehabbing knee… and then won his 1st title. He may not be as entertaining but I’d have to imagine he’s pretty happy with his life choices. LOL

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Yeah. IIRC he got injured and decided to stop getting blackout drunk and got super fit and disciplined while rehabbing knee… and then won his 1st title. He may not be as entertaining but I’d have to imagine he’s pretty happy with his life choices. LOL
Hamstring. Tore it right off the bone! Took a year but he came back and won. And then won again. And for good measure did it a third time. I'd agree - pretty happy with his life choices, although you never can tell where life will take you.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
am i the only one who remembers tha tone turn he used to do when he first started.....wasnt ashatloads of spray....but this frontside top turn that he just BLASTED out of not...spray....but SPEED.....fastest projection out of anyones top turn id ever seen......it didnt earn him much point action...but dear god it was the fastest projection out of any top turn id ever seen....loved it...and sadly once he abandoned it....they socred him higher.

Reactions: stringcheese

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
K I paid $10 for the month to watch this shizzzz. Episode 1 takeaways: The MOTE/DHD collab looked good in the barrel and sh!t on turns. The Burch/ Simon board looked pretty sh!t too.
Question of the day: IS STAB PREMIUM WORTH IT? I'm seriously considering it now, but it feels like a gimmick. What says the erBB?

Reactions: urchined

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I used to be kind of a Mick hater. I'm ashamed to admit it. I think his surfing was so mechanical and wasn't able to properly appreciate the power and form. Thought he would get overscored sometimes. Now I reckon he's one of my favorites and he's still surfing at such a high level years after quitting the tour.

I'm not gonna pay stab the 10 bucks until all EAST episodes are out so I can binge it.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Question of the day: IS STAB PREMIUM WORTH IT? I'm seriously considering it now, but it feels like a gimmick. What says the erBB?
This really isn’t an answer to your question because I’ve never subscribed to STAB so cannot say that it is worth or not. But to spend money (even if only $10 a month) on the swill that the surf media attempts to pass off as journalism and entertainment, doesn’t make sense to me. Extra dollars spent to watch edits that I fast forward through all of the speaking parts on because listening to surfers speak about boards, and other stuff they don’t understand, is not my cup of tea. Reading “articles” about poor judging at a contest, how edgy the big toothed Gudauskas is or what fluid receptical (sponsored by said receptacle’s manufacturer) I should be drinking my manbucha out of, again, isn’t my jam. Most of the content seems to be driven by the industry with a slant, as it always has been. But this is all just because I’m an elitist snob. And, quite frankly, because surfers are the worst, myself included.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This really isn’t an answer to your question because I’ve never subscribed to STAB so cannot say that it is worth or not. But to spend money (even if only $10 a month) on the swill that the surf media attempts to pass off as journalism and entertainment, doesn’t make sense to me. Extra dollars spent to watch edits that I fast forward through all of the speaking parts on because listening to surfers speak about boards, and other stuff they don’t understand, is not my cup of tea. Reading “articles” about poor judging at a contest, how edgy the big toothed Gudauskas is or what fluid receptical (sponsored by said receptacle’s manufacturer) I should be drinking my manbucha out of, again, isn’t my jam. Most of the content seems to be driven by the industry with a slant, as it always has been. But this is all just because I’m an elitist snob. And, quite frankly, because surfers are the worst, myself included.
I agree with all of this especially the part about you being the worst.