How many sessions do you give a new board

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I give it 4-5 sessions but I usually know whether it's a keeper or at least has good potential after one session in decent surf. I've definitely had boards that take a few sessions, maybe a fin swap or two before I really click with it but usually the magic ones are pretty obvious right away. Rarely does a board that takes me more than 5 sessions to figure out ever end up being a favorite but I'm pretty stubborn so I've definitely beat my head against a wall for way too many sessions on a dud board before I wrote it off.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
how ever long it takes to figure it out. i remember bj saying something to he effect of it being "really hard to shape a board that flat out wont surf.

so geevum a chence. ive sold boards after 1 surf and after a hundred. makes no difference. time is irrelevant. either they make it into the rotation or they dont

Reactions: cagey
Jul 1, 2009
Kind of related; my experience is that the dud boards were ones that required a goldilocks fin setup to work sufficiently that it did not bog both rails at the same time. The keepers (from fish to hpsb to lb) are/were the ones that work(ed) irrespective of fin setup. Fins just emphasizing certain performance attributes eg reactors more pivoty, fannings more drivey/carvey (and more deadlights needed). So basically 2-3 sessions in the appropriate conditions to suss out what the board does with a fin setup or 2.

2-3 sessions is also sufficient time to figure out whether the board gels with your desired body mechanics. As fun as it is unlocking a board's potential it becomes tedious when you're second guessing whether to drive off the front foot or off the fins, whether you can lean into a section or have to nurse it etc... Although I'm also guilty of blowing countless sessions out of stubbornness on a dud.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
At 50 years old (not saying I'm old but I do feel it sometimes) I don't want to waste any time trying to figure out a board that I'm not instantly clicking with after a session in decent waves. I feel a board that works for you will work well enough with any fin set within reason and work even better with the perfect fin.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Magic boars? one wave
Sucky boars, about 10 sessions to get pissed off enough to do something about it.
That first wave can be deceiving. Just a new feel. For me it takes a few sessions to find the weak spots. Eventually with all my boards I start to focus on the weak spots.

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
Had a board on the market after 2 sesh and thought of putting another on the chopping block after 1 sesh. After a run of good swell and lots of time to surf…. I love all my boards now. Those 2 in particular maybe my favorite ones now….the first one just glides like no other and the 2nd one was a twinzer that needed bigger main fins

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Quickest rejection for me was the Hypto. In about 3 waves I knew the board I had didn't work for me in East Coast beach break. Might be a great board on a California point wave or a reef wave though. The one I had had ZERO drive.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
sometimes one knows right away.
other times its a love/hate relationship.
i think it best to use it lots....then mothball it....then use it again.
over time (and a variety of surf-types) one should get a clear picture.

but more than once i used it once and out of the quiver it went..:cursing:

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Unless I'm trying some really different dims or design, the question is really about how versatile vs specialized the board is for me. Some boards just go well in all conditions with all fins. Others need specific conditions with well matched fins to work well, and that's OK once I figure that out. I don't try to fight what a board wants to do well any longer by forcing it in conditions or with fins that don't work well with it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
really depends on the board u r coming off of. ive had boards i loved, then 6 months later i try it again and its blah. depends on the board u r used to.
so if u dont like a new board, ride something other than your dd for awhile, get used to it. then try the new 1 again

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I had this CI #4 that I went full sunk cost fallacy on.

"its the waves"

"its me"

no this thing has too much rocker for its short length and I bogged for 6 months on it.
I can literally think of one good cutback on that board.
paddling around felt like an anchor in the line up then it would feel too small and too big on the rails at the same time
I didn't even sell it, I just have it in the corner out of spite.

Might just give it to a grommet but I don't wanna ruin their entire surf experience.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

"its the waves"

"its me"

no this thing has too much rocker for its short length and I bogged for 6 months on it.
paddling around felt like an anchor in the line up then it would feel too small and too big on the rails at the same time

Might just give it to a grommet but I don't wanna ruin their entire surf experience.
Give it to that annoying grom that catches too many waves :roflmao:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

"its the waves"

"its me"

Probably the least magic boards I've ever had have fallen into the "short with too much rocker" category. Add in fat rails and you've got the trifecta of suckage. I won't name and shame specific models here but I will say that for some people those type of boards work fine. Just not for me. I feel like I need more to push off of, if that makes sense.