Lost Blacksheep

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've liked boards that I've had in both carbon wrap and lightspeed. I kind of feel like constantly changing tech isn't doing Lost any favors. It takes some work to dial in alternative tech (varial, xtr, lightspeed, etc.). If you're constantly changing it up, it's hard for the consumer to dial in and feel confident in purchases.

I think they'd be better off sticking with one proprietary construction like carbon wrap or lightspeed and then working with the various alternatives that are popular (inspired shaper? dark arts, varial, xtr, etc.) I know they already do this but maybe be a little bit more focused on that.

This is a bit of a rant but I feel like Lost is strategically lost. Their board dims could use some updating (they're out of wack, normal dims are too small, bro dims are too big and wide). All their alt boards are just weird rip-offs of other shapes these days. Their lineup is super broad and confusing (aren't there like 5 puddle jumpers)? I also find their team kind of uninspiring. Hate to say it but they need a hard reset imo.

Oh and don't even get me started on their marketing. Newsflash guys, it's not the 90s anymore and Chris Ward is NOT cool.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I agree Kool-aid...
The only cool guy on the squad is Nate Yoeman. The rest seem like a bunch of d-bags.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
+1 lost is lost AF.

they are early into seemingly every alt tech but seems their biz strategy is to blitz the market which has caught up to them and confused their base.

imo, mason while entertaining, has proven what board he’s on doesn’t matter, he will surf it in a novel yet entertaining way.

mason doesn’t sell new board models as incremental improvement over the prior release or spin-off.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I like Ian Crane and Colapinto surfing. Mason Ho puts out some entertaining videos.

mason doesn’t sell new board models as incremental improvement over the prior release or spin-off.
The "little wing" description explicitly states it's an incremental improvement/spin-off of the Baby Buggy.

I'd like to hear about quality control on customs matching spec. C-4 needs to be kept in the offerings, because Light Speed is floppy-feeling for larger surfers.

Also there can never be too many Puddle Jumpers. The rest of their alt lineup basically reads like it has some more foam up front, but there's so much f-----g tail rocker for a shitty wave board you might as well stick with the Baby Buggy, because by the time the waves have the curve for the alt with all the f------g tail rocker to finally get going, your shortboards work fine too.

Reactions: claw87 and Aruka

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I dont mean their team riders... i mean their reps and the people that work there.

All their team riders are pretty cool. Except for Jet. haha.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Also there can never be too many Puddle Jumpers. The rest of their alt lineup basically reads like it has some more foam up front, but there's so much f-----g tail rocker for a shitty wave board you might as well stick with the Baby Buggy, because by the time the waves have the curve for the alt with all the f------g tail rocker to finally get going, your shortboards work fine too.
I feel the same about the tail rocker on all their "grovelers" ; they got me good back in the day marketing the rocket as a tiny wave destroyer

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I feel the same about the tail rocker on all their "grovelers" ; they got me good back in the day marketing the rocket as a tiny wave destroyer
Turns out it's a great user-friendly shortboard and it really shines in steep, dumping surf. I bought mine used and took it up the street from the seller's house. Got into the tiny waves great. Stand up and pump and....wants curve.

Although I do think the Bean Bag and Puddle Jumpers (but not Puddle Fish) deliver on that front.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Don't get me wrong, I like watching all the lost team riders surf... and they all rip. But they are also all kind of the same...

They also definitely have an IQ cutoff for their team, and clearly, that number is in double digits to qualify.

I think if they had a little bit more diversity on their squad, say like a Mikey February, or even a retired pro that doesn't have to surf HPSBs anymore, like Josh Kerr, they might just have some better perspective across the lineup and appeal to a broader group of surfers.

The little wing is a perfect example of a product strategy going wrong. They had the original mason board and it didn't sell that well and wasn't really anything special, so then they reboot it, and it seems like it just sits on the rack.

I used to be a diehard lost rider/fan but now I haven't bought a lost in a few years. Also ordering a custom from them is like surfing in the dark ages. No idea when, or if, it will come and what you might get.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Lost grovel boards and some models feel off but the Driver 2.0 and RNF 96 are phenomenal models, both released within the last couple of years.

Reactions: Aruka

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Lost doesn't make boards for people that post here. Lost boards are made for the masses. They've always flooded the market with new (read: mashed up) shapes to see what sticks. Why would multiple types of alt tech be any different?

Reactions: oeste858

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
last lost was a lightspeed PJ and I was not impressed. But I did order it too big. The lightspeed felt fine to me for a groveler.

I had a driver and a whiplash years ago that were really good boards, like among the best I've had.

Reactions: oeste858

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Lost as a company is kind of a dumpster fire. Way too many models and easily one of the worst custom order experience of any major brand.

Some of their boards work very well though. Driver 2.0. , OG Puddle Jumper.

I really wanna try a PJ Pro but I think it would be competing directly with my Sharpeye Disco Cheater which is a great one.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Lost as a company is kind of a dumpster fire. Way too many models and easily one of the worst custom order experience of any major brand.

Some of their boards work very well though. Driver 2.0. , OG Puddle Jumper.

I really wanna try a PJ Pro but I think it would be competing directly with my Sharpeye Disco Cheater which is a great one.
They have a lot of great boards. Without question, some of the best boards I have ever had, if not the best, have been Losts.

But it's just kind of sad and hard to order from them when the experience sucks and Lost is so lost. I doubt it but I hope someone here works for them and is seeing this.

I guess it's possible that we don't have the right vantage point and they're actually killing it for a surf business...

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
They have a lot of great boards. Without question, some of the best boards I have ever had, if not the best, have been Losts.

But it's just kind of sad and hard to order from them when the experience sucks and Lost is so lost. I doubt it but I hope someone here works for them and is seeing this.

I guess it's possible that we don't have the right vantage point and they're actually killing it for a surf business...
I think they are killing it for a surf business and maybe they've abandoned the idea of a custom process. FW is likely driving consumers away from customs by flooding shops with stock. Seems like maybe Lost is doing the same thing.

I'd be willing to bet there's "surfers" out there that don't even know you can order a custom board.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The name of this construction is confusing because I thought there was already a Lost surfboard model called "Blacksheep." Maybe not? Anyway, this construction looks fun to try if it's US made. I doubt it approaches the quality and craftsmanship of Drew at Old City Epoxies given how long he has been working with vacuum bagged carbon builds, but it looks like an improvement over some of the other Lost alt techs.

For my money, XTR is still the easiest option for non-PU Lost orders.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The name of this construction is confusing because I thought there was already a Lost surfboard model called "Blacksheep." Maybe not? Anyway, this construction looks fun to try if it's US made. I doubt it approaches the quality and craftsmanship of Drew at Old City Epoxies given how long he has been working with vacuum bagged carbon builds, but it looks like an improvement over some of the other Lost alt techs.

For my money, XTR is still the easiest option for non-PU Lost orders.
There was a board model called that. Always wanted to try one.

I don't see any Made in California lams on the Blacksheep builds listed for sale, and there's a fair few polys listed with no Made in California lams.

Likewise I expect Drew's work is much better. I expect quite a few of these to cook due to dark coloration and fail due to cooking.

Have you custom-ordered any of Drew's builds before?

Reactions: JDJ