Von Sol 'Flying Manta' stub groveler

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Late to answer these questions but Mini sim, manta, then fling is my small wave quiver. They’re all different enough without overlap. The mini works for soft log waves. The Manta is essentially a thinner foiled version of the mini, and works in better shaped waves around waist high. Any bigger and I start to grab the fling which has surprising upper range.

Ive had my OG Manta for years and it’s beat to hell, but it’s still kicking. Thinking about getting another. Anybody know what they’re going for these days? PM me if that’s not a question that should be asked in a public forum.
He posts mantas for sale with the price sometimes on his instagram

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Surfed my Manta with a buddy over the weekend. Small crap wind swell but we had the break to ourselves.
Swapped boards for a few waves. He couldn't believe how much speed he was getting from the Manta and even got a few decent turns in on absolute crap waves. He was instantly sold. I tried his Baked Potato. Felt like a brick compared to the Manta. After 12 plus years there is still nothing like this board in small waves. Not sure why I even try other grovelers. I need a replacement soon.
:cheers:

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Surfed my Manta with a buddy over the weekend. Small crap wind swell but we had the break to ourselves.
Swapped boards for a few waves. He couldn't believe how much speed he was getting from the Manta and even got a few decent turns in on absolute crap waves. He was instantly sold. I tried his Baked Potato. Felt like a brick compared to the Manta. After 12 plus years there is still nothing like this board in small waves. Not sure why I even try other grovelers. I need a replacement soon.
:cheers:
I got a reply back there is a otr 5’6 manta at surfride oceanside if your buddy wants one. Too big for me:(

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
After reading this thread I couldn't help but grab this off craigslist.. A little beat up but the price was right.

It came with what look like hand foiled von knight quads, but no trailer. Any recommendations on which trailer to get? This is a 5'5 and I am 190lb.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.47.58 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-07 at 11.52.57 AM.png

Reactions: JDJ
Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Never tried one but ride quads and twins am curious why you would want a center fin:shrug:
I havent ridden this yet, but from all the reviews in this thread it seems like the nubster is needed. The quad setup looks pushed forward too.

I have some really fun twin fin small wave boards, but they do sometimes lack that initial get up and go that I can get out of the center fin of a board like the CI NB2, specially when its really mushy. Maybe this board has the speed of a quad/twin but the little nubster adds just a little bit of bite for more drive off the get-go.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I havent ridden this yet, but from all the reviews in this thread it seems like the nubster is needed. The quad setup looks pushed forward too.

I have some really fun twin fin small wave boards, but they do sometimes lack that initial get up and go that I can get out of the center fin of a board like the CI NB2, specially when its really mushy. Maybe this board has the speed of a quad/twin but the little nubster adds just a little bit of bite for more drive off the get-go.
I have a grovel quad with big tail and like said never tried manta but I like quad set up for grovel :cheers:

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
After reading this thread I couldn't help but grab this off craigslist.. A little beat up but the price was right.

It came with what look like hand foiled von knight quads, but no trailer. Any recommendations on which trailer to get? This is a 5'5 and I am 190lb.

View attachment 141479View attachment 141480
that's havoc's pass me down to me..now to you, enjoy!