A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Apr 18, 2022
I spent about a year in the hospital, so I haven't been doing my hobbies or going outside for a long time, but I hope at least this summer I will be able to go surfing and fishing again. In general, I love everything related to water, so the loss of this during my stay in the hospital was very difficult for me. But I want to tell you about how a couple of years ago I went to eastern Europe to do kayaking and fishing. I have visited many countries, including Moldova. It was quite funny in Moldova, because this is the land of wine and there are a lot of good people living there. We went down the Dniester River and fished a lot on bridge piers in the rain, spent the night there, caught a lot of carp, but in general the fish there is not very tasty. Although there was a lot of sturgeon in this river about 200 years ago. Now the time is completely different, but in general I liked it there, it's an unusual experience of contemplating another culture and when you do your hobbies in such an atmosphere, it gives you the opportunity to feel forgotten emotions again.

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Freedove almost 7 hours yesterday and almost 4 today. WSB are IN like crazy. Mostly about 7-15lbs and spooked a 35-40lber underneath a dark kelp room on a descend. Epic epic epic 2 days of shore dives.
I pissed in my suit (always do) and even with like 50% taste/smell I almost puked when I got home. It's marinating in a Mr Clean/water bath and I'll take it out tonight. Never had a wetsuit smell like p1ss before.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: keenfish

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Hey, I went backpacking out in the Rockies and found a new pond on Saturday. Not new to me. Actually new. Beavers got busy (always a good thing lol), built a damn, and turned a mile of stream into a mile of pond sometime in the past 18 months.

That pond is LOADED with native trout. Right now they're about 4 inches long and an inch thick. Not very satisfying to the poor beaver I'm sure. But there are a ton of them. I had 3 to 5 of them following and nibbling on a Kastmaster on every cast.

So here's the question. How fast are those suckers gonna grow? Lots of bugs for them to feed on. Think they'll be 6 inches and big enough to stink up a frying pan by the end of summer?

Reactions: keenfish

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I was fishing a white fluke on a dropshot :cool:
My go to for halibut are Coolbait and fluke type plastic (White or clear with flake) Warbait has their own version

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I always see the coolbaits boat here but I've never fished their stuff. mostly warbaits.

I know, that added absolutely nothing to the thread.
:p
Bigger ones great for offshore bass and YT will eat too. I rarely use paddle tail type swimbaits with them. Big fan of Reeb's plastics

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Those trout fatten up in those beaver dams. I've read an inch/month is about normal for wild/native trout. One of my go to walk in spot for goldens had 4-8 inch ones and that pool was about 8 feet deep. There were a few the 12' range and my buddy got the monster we both broke off and it was at least 14". The beaver dam pool changed over time and finally blew out from snowmelt after a few years.

gw.jpg

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
no, not very big - mile long, 100' wide and 5' deep at the most, but as little as 10' wide and 2' deep in many places

think they might grow an inch a month during the buggy part of summer?
Yeah, easy...at that age they are like weeds

Reactions: crustBrother

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Lots of WSB still inside & today at the bottom instead of mid column. 5-10' hazy viz with some blue milkiness on the outside, good enough to ID, size and shoot. Spooked a school of about 10 nicer ones in a big sand area, no fatties seen today. Got this week's tacos & ceviche in ~25' of water with a Riffe euro 130.

wsb.jpg