Tomo MPH

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yeah, but he was saying how the clips Firewire are putting out about the Revo are the first time he and the public are seeing the board in action.
Isn’t that how most traditional shapers do it? They create a board purely on theory and feedback from riders and then watch the final version it for the first time under one of their riders feet?

I think Dan meant that, firewire usually makes one or two sample models before production and Dan wasn’t able to ride one because of his injury. I know Chuy had one and he is very familiar with Tomo’s board design and an excellent surfer as well.

I thought it was a good interview and reinforced a lot of the same feelings I was having with the board and fins.4D696FA1-7F4E-46E1-BFA4-8FCCEEA85691.jpeg

Reactions: tarpon

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Isn’t that how most traditional shapers do it? They create a board purely on theory and feedback from riders and then watch the final version it for the first time under one of their riders feet?

I think Dan meant that, firewire usually makes one or two sample models before production and Dan wasn’t able to ride one because of his injury. I know Chuy had one and he is very familiar with Tomo’s board design and an excellent surfer as well.

I thought it was a good interview and reinforced a lot of the same feelings I was having with the board and fins.View attachment 132518
Will you do me a favor and please try the reverse setup for me: hatchet fronts and upright rears? Genuinely curious if that could be goldilocks (golden ratio) combo with those fins

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Kinda hard to describe but my latest custom asked for twin set up and shaper sold me on a twin fronts and quad rears with fronts set up normal quad placement and rears set up a inch. You can really feel the pivot and how it holds kinda like twin feeling of drive with hold of a quad.
That is a setup I really like too.

Reactions: Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
So reforest youve had some decent time on the new revo now where does this one sit in the quiver. The videos all have it in great waves I would want to be on my SKX in, does this have a better low end or similar to your SKX. Is it a performance groveller, different take on a HPSB how would you define ideal wave heights and conditions for when you would go for this board, and when you would go hydroshort or SKX
I've had some time to think about this and its not a groveler. I think a concave bottom board will definitely be faster in smaller waves than a Vee bottom, but you can make the board work in small waves if you wanted to.

I feel like the ideal conditions for this board are pretty broad, but I think you'd have an upper hand on other boards when you have a flat or mushy wave with a little bit of push. I think the channels through the Vee help this board plane on top of the water well, and it turns on rail so good, that as long as you have a little push you could be doing nice smooth "S" carves and carrying speed through your turns, when other concave boards would have a hard time getting on rail because of the mushy and flat face. We just had a nice long period ground swell with not a lot of size and the board felt so good. Catching waves was no problem at all and cutting through a little onshore chop was not a problem either.

Just like most of Tomo's boards there is a lot of overlap in where this board would fit in the quiver. I think of the SKX and Hydroshort as mini-step up boards for when the waves get above head high - especially the Hydroshort. I would not think the Revo has the same hold in bigger waves as a Hydroshort or SKX (because its so small) but since no one has ridden it in big waves I think its hard to say. But I don't think it was intended to be ridden in big surf.

So I'd say 2-6ft range. Ideal everyday waves conditions. Excels in mushy waves with a little push. Best as a quad or 2 +1.

I guess that's my mini review. lol.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
A wave from Sunday on the new board that felt pretty darn good.

I had the Endorfin fronts and Tomo quad rears.
I need to try JKB's suggestion of a raked fin up front and upright quad rears in back. I'd like to try Oeste's suggested too of Tomo fronts and upright rears. Any suggestions on upright rears for FCS?

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I tried these

and it actually felt really good. But I wanted to try a more raked fin in front to understand what you were saying. This Von Sol setup actually felt more like a thruster feeling (like you said it would) than the Tomo hatchet setup i've been running. But there was some chop on the face so hard to get a good feeling for it.

IMG_4898.jpg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Nice turn. You really accelerated through the end of it.

The reactor quad rears are very upright. I think Racer is selling a pair.
@racer1 are you selling a pair of Reactor quad rears?

I will post a request in the classified section and see if i can find a set of those Von Sol Hornet.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I just want to say it's cool that you're enjoying the new Revo so much and seem to be having a blast checking out the different feels that the various fin combinations are delivering. Keep on, keeping on!
:waving: :shaka:
Reponse from grumpy 73 year ole with grade skool kid .....boards should come with fins now get off my yard:drowning:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
@racer1 are you selling a pair of Reactor quad rears?

I will post a request in the classified section and see if i can find a set of those Von Sol Hornet.
yes. Reactor quad rears medium.
$25 shipped. Dm me for PayPal or venmo.

Reactions: Retropete and JDJ
Oct 5, 2021
I've had some time to think about this and its not a groveler. I think a concave bottom board will definitely be faster in smaller waves than a Vee bottom, but you can make the board work in small waves if you wanted to.

I feel like the ideal conditions for this board are pretty broad, but I think you'd have an upper hand on other boards when you have a flat or mushy wave with a little bit of push. I think the channels through the Vee help this board plane on top of the water well, and it turns on rail so good, that as long as you have a little push you could be doing nice smooth "S" carves and carrying speed through your turns, when other concave boards would have a hard time getting on rail because of the mushy and flat face. We just had a nice long period ground swell with not a lot of size and the board felt so good. Catching waves was no problem at all and cutting through a little onshore chop was not a problem either.

Just like most of Tomo's boards there is a lot of overlap in where this board would fit in the quiver. I think of the SKX and Hydroshort as mini-step up boards for when the waves get above head high - especially the Hydroshort. I would not think the Revo has the same hold in bigger waves as a Hydroshort or SKX (because its so small) but since no one has ridden it in big waves I think its hard to say. But I don't think it was intended to be ridden in big surf.

So I'd say 2-6ft range. Ideal everyday waves conditions. Excels in mushy waves with a little push. Best as a quad or 2 +1.

I guess that's my mini review. lol.
Cool thx for the review board sounds and looks like a lot of fun

Reactions: ReForest