YOLO ALERTS

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Twin trailer and upright thruster fins are my fav in the Insanity but mine is a bit longer and always felt a little too stiff with quads. If u like it in neck high slop you will really dig it once it gets overhead.
Cool good to hear

Yeah I was thinking an upright thruster set. It felt a tad stiff with the quad fins, just looking at all that fin area with the narrow tail I knew it was going to be, but it still felt good. I was even thinking a controller quad set might work at a point break.

I'll try my merrick medium thruster set next. And I have a MR twin trailer set with futures base I'll try after. I need to dig out my YU thruster set as well.

Reactions: Aruka

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Cool good to hear

Yeah I was thinking an upright thruster set. It felt a tad stiff with the quad fins, just looking at all that fin area with the narrow tail I knew it was going to be, but it still felt good. I was even thinking a controller quad set might work at a point break.

I'll try my merrick medium thruster set next. And I have a MR twin trailer set with futures base I'll try after. I need to dig out my YU thruster set as well.
Maybe try AM2 fronts with AM1 center.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Industry promoted confusion to promote fin sales $$$$

Giving the board owner a fake sense of being a "Derzingner" :drowning:
From a positive viewpoint:

Technology was developed and offered to the individual surfer to experiment and discover what and how fins work with their different boards, the waves they ride, and how they surf. This allowed surfers to better understand and have greater involvement in their passion.

A surfer is more than just a board owner and benefits from greater involvement in his passion. Not being a passive consumer is the enemy of the arrogant 'professional' board builder. :giggle:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Twinsman has so much sizzle and magic moments but also weird moments like wtf was that. insanity has slightly less sizzle, but no weird moments. Surfed it yesterday as a thruster in clean, head high to couple feet overhead, steep rights and wow. Wraps, snaps, laybacks, so good and consistent. Even caught some waist high waves to make sure I wasn’t getting too excited - worked great too. Twin plus trailer next and then some smaller quads after. Thruster setup is definitely in the rotation.

possible step up round tail will be ordered in the 6’4 range

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I can relate to the Twinsman having more wtf moments than the Insanity, for sure. The narrow, wingless tail is so stable and predictable. Twinsman is a bit more spicey in weak surf though. Insanity can feel pretty lackluster to me if the waves aren't providing the push. A normal squash tail thruster (driver, i72, etc.) feels better in small surf I think.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Twinsman has so much sizzle and magic moments but also weird moments like wtf was that. insanity has slightly less sizzle, but no weird moments. Surfed it yesterday as a thruster in clean, head high to couple feet overhead, steep rights and wow. Wraps, snaps, laybacks, so good and consistent. Even caught some waist high waves to make sure I wasn’t getting too excited - worked great too. Twin plus trailer next and then some smaller quads after. Thruster setup is definitely in the rotation.

possible step up round tail will be ordered in the 6’4 range
my mind is blown by this unexpected development.
I got a mini ghost for the Insanity rides/conditions your describing. Beak noses: so hot RN. I wonder how similar the outlines are.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
my mind is blown by this unexpected development.
I got a mini ghost for the Insanity rides/conditions your describing. Beak noses: so hot RN. I wonder how similar the outlines are.
It's an interesting comparison for sure. I think when I posted my "review" of the Insanity I said it felt kind of like a detuned Ghost which I still think is fair.

Having ridden a 6-1 mini ghost round tail at somewhat similar dims to my 6-2 Insanity swallow tail my impression (and FWIW this is based on riding the MG for half an hour and giving it a fondle in the lineup) was that the MG has a narrower nose and a little more rocker. I also think the Insanity has a little wider and thicker nose. They both have a pretty narrow and thin tail which has a lot of hold through turns. The MG felt a little more lively and and easy to throw around but maybe it doesn't have as much cheat factor as the Insanity which catches waves better and has more built in drive. I also only rode the MG as a quad and it was great whereas I always thought the Insanity felt a little stiff as a quad. Despite the differences they do really feel similar in a lot of ways and basically overlap a lot. Both have a smooth rocker and outline and a predictable, stable ride.

• Love
Reactions: sdsrfr and oeste858