Lake Mead water ... What will California do when it's gone??

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
the USEC seems to get above average rainfall..
The Great Lakes are large and deep...
The Mississippi is BIG (enables gulf stream)...

if we can put a man on the moon....:loser:

Reactions: kawika and Havoc

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Necessity will drive the solution. We have the tech and the capability, it’s just a matter of when the need exceeds the costs of desal and/or other large scale modern solutions like a giant trans con aqueduct

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
In the mornin' you go gunnin' for the man who stole your water
And you fire 'til he is done in but they catch you at the border
And the mourners are all singin' as they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin' and they put you on the street

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc and One-Off

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Lotta oil and lumber up there too :shrug:

well, pitter patter let’s get at ‘er

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I’m just catching up on better call saul but apparently you can survive in the desert hiking 21 miles by drinking your own urine, so we should start saving our Pee. Or pray for El Niño.
I was just about to say that I have been saving my own urine in ashed white oak barrels for about 5 years now. Not gonna lie, I sneak a sip every now and again. 2018 was a good year for some reason.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
seems a helluvalot simpler to address the root of the problem- too many humans trying to live large in a desert, than it is to go through a bunch of bs coming up with bandaids which will only serve to make the situation worse down the road.
Did you get a vasectomy to prevent yourself from adding to the population? Or leave for a more well watered state for the sake of saving the California environment? Those are 2 ways you could’ve helped that are directly within your control.

Curious to know how you would address the population problem. In decades past we’ve tried stonewalling new water infrastructure in hopes that it would put a cap on development and migration- how’s that working out for us :unsure: :foreheadslap:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I have thought about this for awhile now. Living in southern California, or anywhere in the SW of the US it makes sense to store rain water for use in your garden, but many ppl do not do it. I do and this water usually lasts me until the mid to end of summer.

Also, it is interesting to think of the earth as a closed system and all of the water that has always been on earth is still here, maybe just in other forms.
Initially I thought that since humans are typically 55% water by weight and human population has increased drastically in the last 30 years or so then a lot of that water would be tied up inside human bodies. After doing the math and making some assumptions, I came up with the total volume of water contained in 1 billion people. Assuming 55% water wt per person & assuming an average human weight of 100 pounds, that would be a total of 20,230 acre feet of water. This isn't that much at all, considering lake Mead was designed to hold 28.9million acre feet of water.

Then if you consider all of the water used in order to not only sustain 1 billion people, but everything associated with that population increase.....that is too much work. Maybe I will do this later.

But my point is that yes...too many ppl.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have thought about this for awhile now. Living in southern California, or anywhere in the SW of the US it makes sense to store rain water for use in your garden, but many ppl do not do it. I do and this water usually lasts me until the mid to end of summer.
Seems every house in every other arid place on this side of the world has a cistern on the roof.

Stupidity reigns supreme in the USofA thanks to recency bias.

Reactions: Clayster and mundus

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Seems every house in every other arid place on this side of the world has a cistern on the roof.

Stupidity reigns supreme in the USofA thanks to recency bias.
Wasefulness is a way to signal yourself that you have enough.

Americans freak when you start talking about being more efficient.

Why we don't use bath water of toilet water is beyond me.

Americans freak when people say don't have to have a green lawn in the dessert

I've always tried not to be wasteful.

I think it's a temperament thing.

This is all about Freedom

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
funny how the drum beat for more housing units statewide plays agaisnt the backdrop of failing infrastructure.

blame ag whatever. we dont need nuts, right? takes too much water. citrus too. how about cows? grenhouse gassers and water guzzlers. ban em. eat soy girly men.

love the nuke powered desal take. just snap your fingers and throw up some reactors, add some charging stations out front for tessie and bang, were good to go two birds down with one little cooling tower.

quite simply and quite ignored is the fact the planet has a carrying capacity for each and every species. but as humans we think were special and it doesnt apply to us because we can move the line with our minds.

which to some small degree we can, but its just human vanity to think we are going to stop whats coming. our success is our failure.

seems a helluvalot simpler to address the root of the problem- too many humans trying to live large in a desert, than it is to go through a bunch of bs coming up with bandaids which will only serve to make the situation worse down the road.
The most consistent Malthusians put the pistol in their mouths and pull the trigger. What's stopping you?

Nuke and desal works just fine in Japan which has 3x the population of California in a much smaller space with no crime, nice roads and trains. The environment is pristine. You should visit - it's a future we'll never achieve.

Hoover dam pic.

Not to be messed with.
I think this was stated in one of their other videos, but the water is too low to run the hydroelectric turbines so the water problem is also a power problem.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Nuke and desal works just fine in Japan which has 3x the population of California in a much smaller space with no crime, nice roads and trains. The environment is pristine. You should visit - it's a future we'll never achieve.
Japan has abundant rainfall (and clean cities). It is not a desert. Their people also have a strong sense of community and would be much better at committing to shared sacrifice than we in the USA would be. Just look at the response to Covid. Masking in Japan was already commonplace as a preventative health measure. It is considered common courtesy if you have a cough to mask up. If their government told them to conserve water in a crisis, I think there would be a much better response than in the American West.

The water issue is not a new problem. I had a friend living in Tucson who studied the water situation 20 years ago and was already in panic mode back then. He would point out the endless tract home developments and declare, "Future ghost towns!" He and some buddies would even put blood red dye into couple of fountains that nearby housing developments had at their entrances. "A giant fountain? Shooting plumes of water into the air? In the Sonoran Desert???? Fck that!" They actually succeeded- the developments after a while stopped refilling the fountains.

His biggest villains, however, were the golf courses. Go to google maps and search "Tucson golf courses" (or Pheonix). They are everywhere. Fucking insanity. People transplanting from the East/Northeast, wanting to play a sport developed in Scotland... in the Sonoran desert. :foreheadslap:

I think partly because of my friendship with this person I was always sensitive to water supply. Our front yard is all drought tolerant plants (my next project will be all CA natives). Even at the height of summer I only water once every two weeks with a hose (the back yard is either shady or has fruit trees and I've not found good solutions besides some succulents). We have four 55 gallon rain barrels catching the water off our roof (like surfing, I always let the first rain just go). So whenever it rains, at our house, it's like it rains twice. We also use buckets to catch the warm up water waiting to take a shower. We also have those dual flush toilets that Trump hates.

I know the anti regulatory people will hate this but every new house being built should have rainwater or even gray water reservoirs. Plan ahead. We have a neighbor across the street who DIYed a gray water system to go to his garden and he grows copious amounts of veggies...which my wife won't touch because he's kind of a grundgy guy and she thinks it's coming from his shower.

In Los Angeles the biggest user of water is the LAUSD. All those football fields. That's why they invented Astroturf. They should mandate the change. Yeah I know, more guvmint regalashuns...

But I'd hope even the climate deniers, while maybe denying a human cause, can acknowledge that something needs to be done. Get consensus on that and DO SOMETHING.

And those of you who know me, know that my biggest peeve and something I'm genuinely worried about are the wildfires. Have you seen how much was burned in Sequoia? The Sierra Nevadas (like the ocean) are my cathedral, the place where I most effectively get spiritually cleansed and recharged... and my church is on fire. You know what I would do with a big chunk of that CA surplus....(ironically) controlled burns...

Sorry I talk to much...but this issue is a trigger for me.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Japan has abundant rainfall (and clean cities). It is not a desert.
Neither is most of California. The entire inland valley used to be partially flooded for much of the year, sometimes for several years at a time. IOW, it was a swamp. This is why California was often drawn as an island. We drained the 7th largest inland lake in North America down near the Antelope Valley. I posted this on another thread.

Also, Japan does use desalination since not everywhere gets abundant rainfall in a way that can be captured and reclaiming wastewater is often more-efficient than bringing in new water:

Their people also have a strong sense of community and would be much better at committing to shared sacrifice than we in the USA would be.
Does their homogeneity contribute to their strong sense of community? What changes would California need to make to create a strong sense of community?

Reactions: Pescado713 and npsp

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Neither is most of California. The entire inland valley used to be partially flooded for much of the year, sometimes for several years at a time. IOW, it was a swamp. This is why California was often drawn as an island. We drained the 7th largest inland lake in North America down near the Antelope Valley. I posted this on another thread.
I'm assuming that the swamp was created by run off from the Sierras. So we shoudl watch the snow pack there carefully-

Does their homogeneity contribute to their strong sense of community? What changes would California need to make to create a strong sense of community?
I don't think we will ever have that sense. Our nation began with a declaration of INDEPENDENCE. That spirit is too easily transformed into selfishness. Don't tread on me!

Reactions: Driftcoast

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm assuming that the swamp was created by run off from the Sierras. So we shoudl watch the snow pack there carefully-

Ok, we've been watching it for 7 years and done nothing to remediate the situation. What actions could we take? I already minimize my lawn watering and I shower once a week whether I need it or not ;)

I don't think we will ever have that sense. Our nation began with a declaration of INDEPENDENCE. That spirit is too easily transformed into selfishness. Don't tread on me!
How then did we beat the world's dominant army and naval power at the time?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Wasefulness is a way to signal yourself that you have enough.

Americans freak when you start talking about being more efficient.

Why we don't use bath water of toilet water is beyond me.

Americans freak when people say don't have to have a green lawn in the dessert

I've always tried not to be wasteful.

I think it's a temperament thing.

This is all about Freedom
There are a lot of people who, as a political statement, celebrate water waste, gas-guzzlers, and pollution in general.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There are a lot of people who, as a political statement, celebrate water waste, gas-guzzlers, and pollution in general.
Right. That is a certain expression of American sentiment.

My millonare friend goes out of his way not to recycle.

I'll put my beer bottle in the recycling been and it triggers him.

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
The most consistent Malthusians put the pistol in their mouths and pull the trigger. What's stopping you?
california penal code section 401 pc: aid, advise or encourage a suicide
:shameonyou:

fukushima looking "pristine"

BC4B8D1B-7B53-4690-9441-73C641097C9C.jpeg

Did you get a vasectomy to prevent yourself from adding to the population? Or leave for a more well watered state for the sake of saving the California environment?
of course not, its been my honor to exercise my darwinian fitness and the species is better for it.

and no on second question as well, however access to clean free flowing fresh water was the probably the most important factor when relocating within the state 30+ years ago.

]QUOTE="grapedrink, post: 3614671, member: 35114"]
Curious to know how you would address the population problem. In decades past we’ve tried stonewalling new water infrastructure in hopes that it would put a cap on development and migration- how’s that working out for us :unsure: :foreheadslap:
[/QUOTE]

well the state has tried regulating and taxing the sh!t out of us and that hasnt worked either. neither has degrading our "quality of life" by coddling criminality and homelessness.

there is zero political will in this state to curb development but it would be a start in the right direction. when i drive up the 5, i dont trip on the nuts or grapes or citrus. its the thousands of acres of housing units going in rush hours away from nearest viable employment that give me pause.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I think that’s a navy shower. Least thats what my pops told me when on a carrier. That’s how I showed as a kid and still shower today. 2 minutes.

marines showered often according to my grandfather.
I rather suspect that what service branch you named it after depended on what service branch you were in.