Lopez

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Actually detest and think larger kook factor with fireturd more and ks personally :shrug: If you buy your board at a wharehouse club even a kook knows he is a beginer and very wet behind ears while fireturds can be seen on shelves at surf shops:foreheadslap:
Agree but replace KS with Machado. Slater never put himself out there as a soul surfer bro brah. Machado crafted an image of being the soulful organic man. I expect a Slater/FW partnership. With Rob it’s a betrayal of what he wanted everyone to think he stood for.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I know what his carefully cultivated image is and it’s incongruous with putting your signature on Costco boards.

Everyone on this forum detests Costco boards and what they have done to surfing yet for some reason some of you look the other way when some of that dirty money goes to Gerry Lopez.
Answer the question.

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
It's pretty fun watching these flicks out in the back parking lot of the Cardiff Patagonia location. Usually Gerry shows up, and Rob Machado walks down from his house too if he's home. Good stories and company.
I remember when they played Heart of the Sea, Rell Sunn story. Cool getting invited by her daughter and hanging with the ohana

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I have surfed and talked briefly with Gerry a few times and it was like Bonzer5 posted he’s a wave hog.

Was surfing Rockpiles left and he was paddling over from #3 on an SUP. RPS closes out a lot but you can get a long one all the way to Bowls. A nugget rolls in and I had been waiting for that one for a long time. I start paddling to show I want but Gerry just paddles for the shoulder and goes.

Dawned Bowls and there were only a handful of guys out. Gerry and his son come out. Son sits inside. Gerry’s on a mid length. John one of the Hawaiian regulators tells him to go on a set and after that he took a wave out of every set even if there was only one. Now I’m of the age that had posters of Gerry on my walls and whenever I saw him when I was a grom I’d never think twice of hooting Gerry off a wave, plus we’re at Bowls. Anyway I had to go in and a bomb rolls in. I paddle out to it and John knows I need to go in so he doesn’t move. Gerry starts to whip on the shoulder but he looks back at me. I gave him the dirtiest meanest look and he pull back. I was so worked up I smashed the first section and threw a ton of water on the next wrap. Next day John was laughing at me said Gerry told him I guess he really wanted that wave. Hahaha.

Jeannie messaged him about the Costco thing. She was bummed. He told her whoever owns his licensing inked that deal and it was beyond his control.

My sister works at Patagonia and not sure he gets a salary but they fly him all over stock his book and boars. Sponsor any event with his name on it.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
I have surfed and talked briefly with Gerry a few times and it was like Bonzer5 posted he’s a wave hog.

Was surfing Rockpiles left and he was paddling over from #3 on an SUP. RPS closes out a lot but you can get a long one all the way to Bowls. A nugget rolls in and I had been waiting for that one for a long time. I start paddling to show I want but Gerry just paddles for the shoulder and goes.

Dawned Bowls and there were only a handful of guys out. Gerry and his son come out. Son sits inside. Gerry’s on a mid length. John one of the Hawaiian regulators tells him to go on a set and after that he took a wave out of every set even if there was only one. Now I’m of the age that had posters of Gerry on my walls and whenever I saw him when I was a grom I’d never think twice of hooting Gerry off a wave, plus we’re at Bowls. Anyway I had to go in and a bomb rolls in. I paddle out to it and John knows I need to go in so he doesn’t move. Gerry starts to whip on the shoulder but he looks back at me. I gave him the dirtiest meanest look and he pull back. I was so worked up I smashed the first section and threw a ton of water on the next wrap. Next day John was laughing at me said Gerry told him I guess he really wanted that wave. Hahaha.

Jeannie messaged him about the Costco thing. She was bummed. He told her whoever owns his licensing inked that deal and it was beyond his control.

My sister works at Patagonia and not sure he gets a salary but they fly him all over stock his book and boars. Sponsor any event with his name on it.
I never have been in the water with Gerry much. I am a regular foot and tended to (and still do) surfed places less in the spotlight. In the 70's, while going go to UH, I pretty much frequented 3's, 4's (with the right swell direction), and Kaisers. 3's was my to go spot after school and you could still sneak parking by the handball courts. I knew Wayne Santos and Victor Lopez better than Gerry. One day, as I was paddling out to 3's on a really good day, I passed Gerry as in was paddling in. Said hello to him, and thought that was the first time I had seen him out at 3's. When I got out to the pack, apparently Gerry had been quite the wave hog, and had the regulars bent out of shape. A group paddled over to me and told me to tell Gerry " he was not welcome here and to stay away in the future" I just said, "Yeah, sure" and paddled away laughing to myself thinking as if he would listen to me. The crew was really pleased with me, as I never saw Gerry again at 3's, and they must have thought that I passed on the message.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I never have been in the water with Gerry much. I am a regular foot and tended to (and still do) surfed places less in the spotlight. In the 70's, while going go to UH, I pretty much frequented 3's, 4's (with the right swell direction), and Kaisers. 3's was my to go spot after school and you could still sneak parking by the handball courts. I knew Wayne Santos and Victor Lopez better than Gerry. One day, as I was paddling out to 3's on a really good day, I passed Gerry as in was paddling in. Said hello to him, and thought that was the first time I had seen him out at 3's. When I got out to the pack, apparently Gerry had been quite the wave hog, and had the regulars bent out of shape. A group paddled over to me and told me to tell Gerry " he was not welcome here and to stay away in the future" I just said, "Yeah, sure" and paddled away laughing to myself thinking as if he would listen to me. The crew was really pleased with me, as I never saw Gerry again at 3's, and they must have thought that I passed on the message.
My feelings from those incidents aside. Gerry is one of the original shortboar rock stars. Gotta give him his flowers. Duu changed how Pipe was surfed until Dane Kealoha and Derek Ho changed it again. Pioneered surf travel to Indo. Helped launch a worldwide surf brand, that was so popular guys drew Lightning Bolts on their boars, some still do. Substance abuse. Movie parts. In demand shaper. Snowboard pioneer. Kelly even named the left at his wave pool after Gerry.

Still an unapologetic wave hog. Haha.

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
My feelings from those incidents aside. Gerry is one of the original shortboar rock stars. Gotta give him his flowers. Duu changed how Pipe was surfed until Dane Kealoha and Derek Ho changed it again. Pioneered surf travel to Indo. Helped launch a worldwide surf brand, that was so popular guys drew Lightning Bolts on their boars, some still do. Substance abuse. Movie parts. In demand shaper. Snowboard pioneer. Kelly even named the left at his wave pool after Gerry.

Still an unapologetic wave hog. Haha.
Please, do not get me wrong. I always liked Gerry. In the early 70's we used to duck out of the Bolt shop and head to Evergreen Bakery on Kapiolani Boulevard for the fresh baked rolls. Personally, I never had a problem with him in the water, never in the water with him much. Have not seen him for years, so my opinions are based on the mid 70's. Great family, I really liked his Mother, just a great person.

But, "Still an unapologetic wave hog". Big laughs.

Reactions: teeroi

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That directly contradicts what the maker of these boards told beach grit…

“Yes, that’s our board!! California Board Company. We’re out of Vista CA and have been making soft surfboards since Scott Burke was making BZ softops back in the 1980’s. Gerry felt it was time to put his name on a softie – he’s a legend as you know, and he hooked up with us for 2020 to compete with WaveStorm. We chose to do fin boxes instead of the screw/plug version. Gerry shaped the blank, Scott made it a foam board and our business partners at the factory did the rest. We’d love to hear your feedback!”

He also sell SurfTech pop outs on his own website…

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
That directly contradicts what the maker of these boards told beach grit…

“Yes, that’s our board!! California Board Company. We’re out of Vista CA and have been making soft surfboards since Scott Burke was making BZ softops back in the 1980’s. Gerry felt it was time to put his name on a softie – he’s a legend as you know, and he hooked up with us for 2020 to compete with WaveStorm. We chose to do fin boxes instead of the screw/plug version. Gerry shaped the blank, Scott made it a foam board and our business partners at the factory did the rest. We’d love to hear your feedback!”

He also sell SurfTech pop outs on his own website…

:shrug::shrug::shrug:.
Just repeating what she told me.

Not sure if this is the trend elsewhere but on Oahu hardgood sales at surf shops have tanked. Especially soft tops and body boards. Last custom I picked up at HIC, I asked Uncle Steven how the shop was doing and he told me that. Couple other friends that work in the industry said the same thing.

Even Wade and Kerry have slowed down enough that they’re going to move to their new factory.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Every single surfer I have met that makes their living off of their surfing has been a wave hog.
Very true, with two notable exceptions in my experience: Tom Curren and Dane Reynolds. Very low key, same MO: catch a bunch of small waves nobody is looking at, rip them to shreds, then magically show up on the wave of the day doing something you'll never forget seeing in person. Pretty nuts.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Set the picture. Surfing is being commercialized to the point where practically everything has at least a wave in its adverts; if not subvert references to surfing, then straight up Duuues pimping toothpaste, colognes, laundry and dish detergents, cars, vacations, homes even, everything.

You're Gerry Lopez, and you can make some mailbox money for a time in your life where you chose the beach over the suit and tie, since the beach had no retirement plan, or 401k, to speak of... don't you cash the check?

I sure do. Why not?

It's not like you're stooping to Lairds creamer status, it's just your name on a mass produced item, which even if it does crowd stupid line ups that were a thing in the 70's, but completely whored out and overrun by the 80's anyways, who cares? The surftech, firewire, umpteen Chinese pop outs have already done that anyways.

NAH! Be cool, be soul Surfer, be conscious of what a bunch of kooks on the internet says behind their internet tough Boi keyboards. And who cares if you are getting old and will soon need SUPER EXPENSIVE HEALTH CARE in the country where it's a privilege, not a right, to be healthy.

Makes perfect sense to me, Gerry, what were you thinking?

:foreheadslap::shrug::unsure:;):roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::shameonyou:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Very true, with two notable exceptions in my experience: Tom Curren and Dane Reynolds. Very low key, same MO: catch a bunch of small waves nobody is looking at, rip them to shreds, then magically show up on the wave of the day doing something you'll never forget seeing in person. Pretty nuts.
A few years back I had the good fortune to catch really good Rincon on a beautiful weekday afternoon. I was even more fortunate to get a wide set from just outside the river mouth thru the cove and almost to the freeway. As I was highlining it to make thru to where the cove opens up there was a guy on the shoulder that was in a good spot to roast me and get the rest of a great wave, which is pretty common for that to happen to me whenever I surf there..... Well, he didn't go and I ended up getting a nice cove runner to the beach.
As I was walking up the point a good set rolls in and the guy that could have burned me takes advantage of a guy falling and put on one of the most crazy displays of surfing I have ever seen in person. That guy was Dane Reynolds. He became my favorite pro surfer that day. :socrazy:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
There's others too.

A lot of the top guys are great paddlers and can make sh!t into gold. This puts them into position for waves other guys would never be able to snag. Seen guys sit in the last position of the pecking order yet still have a better session than the guys at the top.

And it's funny how much I've heard Lopez's name come up from local surfers while traveling...and it's never positive.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Strange that Lopez is way more mellow in Cabo. He's like a Sloth and actually does more sitting than riding waves. Waiting for the good ones and never seen him snake anyone. Maybe its more of a HI thing and none of the days he was on a SUP.

Bet Patagucci pays him and he had a hand in the Costco deal. Just my feeling with how things are .

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
:shrug::shrug::shrug:.
Just repeating what she told me.

Not sure if this is the trend elsewhere but on Oahu hardgood sales at surf shops have tanked. Especially soft tops and body boards. Last custom I picked up at HIC, I asked Uncle Steven how the shop was doing and he told me that. Couple other friends that work in the industry said the same thing.

Even Wade and Kerry have slowed down enough that they’re going to move to their new factory.
Every one stocked on hard goods with their Covid Relief checks. Plenty of things to ride, and no more Covid checks to spend?