Small GWS breach this morning

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
that's a daily thing in la county. randy from venice who posts here has a ton of breaching footage just outside beginner land at sunset. topanga has some, and there's a fat bitch out in the kelp at leo's. i don't even want to know what dume has. but for down here, it's all safer than surf beach outside of lompoc. i will never paddle out there again, ever.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
that's a daily thing in la county. randy from venice who posts here has a ton of breaching footage just outside beginner land at sunset. topanga has some, and there's a fat bitch out in the kelp at leo's. i don't even want to know what dume has. but for down here, it's all safer than surf beach outside of lompoc. i will never paddle out there again, ever.
I always wanted to surf there but after 3 attacks. 2 fatal. Nope. I will stick to Mugu.

Reactions: keenfish

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Yeah, I've seen all Randy's pics, and I've seen them happen down here too, it was just cool seeing it happen directly in front of me about 20' away.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Fuck, I don't care if it's a 2footer... those teeth. If I see this I'm outta there in record time. When I see sea turtles in my spot I already think they're gonna nibble at my toes. lol (ok not really but you get the gist)

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
california is getting nuttier for sharks all the time isn’t it ?

in nyc (possibly london too) we are working toward domesticating all our delinquent fishies...

A36C6FE5-87AB-4D17-B08C-6108DFE990CE.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
View attachment 131238

i would like to have this in my basement.

... and a 1970’s gottlieb spiderman pinball machine...
I like Damien’s work...

It’s less exciting in person. I saw it a few years ago. The wrinkles in the shark make it more sad that not. More like an arresting of time for something that was so dynamic and dangerous.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
I like Damien’s work...

It’s less exciting in person. I saw it a few years ago. The wrinkles in the shark make it more sad that not. More like an arresting of time for something that was so dynamic and dangerous.
yeah, even with whatever formaldehyde/gin/vodka liquid mix they’re immersed in, they deteriorate...

i used to think if they stuck mary boone in one of those vitrines, even with the inevitable failure of the f/g/v mix, she’d look better than she does in real life now....

:shrug:

a few of those d.h. pieces sprung leaks too!
:roflmao:

:shark:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’ve told this story before but I’ll repeat it for those who missed it FYI.

We went to a special, great white shark talk with a specialized marine biologist at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. At a certain point he said gws are ambush predators. They attack seals/sea lions from below and need about 60 feet of water to get enough speed, because seals are so fast. I asked the question, “Does that mean if I’m surfing
where it‘s 20-25 feet deep I’m safe?” His answer was, “No, because attacks on surfers are just the shark investigating. Taste testing. They are not bona fide attacks.”

I’d hate to be taste tested by a 15 footer…

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I used to paddle from Trancas to Paradise Cove and back… surf big Dume and little Dume on the way there and back. So freaking eerie. Aggressive seals too. And when the buoy was out at Leo I would paddle out and around it, come in and catch a wave to the inside, then do it again 10 times for conditioning. Dumb.