Broccoli twin test

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
This is sooo incorrect

Good designs should enable you to do everything you want
The only learning curve is seeing how much more they enable you to do as you own them

I'm sure a few here have had boards like this at least once
If you can't chop hop, buying some other board won't teach you the skill.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Respectfully disagree with a little of this at the bottom end of the wave spectrum. There are not many 6'+ dudes riding Discos all summer in Jax Beach. IMHO there is a size at which a DD-HPSB-ish sized quad, or stubby twin/keel grovel board is the only thing you can do anything remotely resembling chest-head high fun day thruster surfing on in Summer dribble.

If it's knee high you can't really work on your upside down backside pocket gaffs, but with a keel groveler, you can try to maintain nonbog through a roundhouse and bank back off the foampiddle and some of that will translate to motions of rippage in November, especially relative to noseriding or drinking and fishing.

I'm a bit confused that you're banging on about twins here but it sounds like you're doing some foiling. I don't really understand the difference in terms of departure from thruster pocket surfing.
I wrote a response to a poster that said he's never been able to dial a twin. I learned to surf shortboard on a Loehr twin from the 80s. Recently tried a modern fins set back twin from Arakawa. The backside surfing, especially cutback seemed pretty different from a thruster to me in decent chest high surf. I could tell, if I wanted to do it right, there was some dedication I would have to put in. The same goes for pretty much any drastic change in board.

Back around 2004 I was riding one of these almost exclusively, it did some serious miles of surf travel. Absolutely one of the best boards I've ever ridden and well dialed.

Later I moved on, hadn't surfed it in over 10 years of almost exclusively riding trusters so I bought a fin a month or so back and rode it in chest-head offshore beachbreak. Man, was I lost. Other that seeking out tubes on my forehand or groveling a few small insiders, I was pretty incompetent.

Changing it up in Florida summer dribble is probably a lot easier because the waves are much less critical.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You can, but how much time are you willing to put into it? How many waves are you willing to waste in this short life? How long are you willing to have your ability level drop? And once you're dialed, are you ready to go back and revamp your quiver with twins because you've changed muscle memory?

The pros can switch through a bunch of different boards and fin setups because a) they're pros and b) they have the time and good wave access.

Nobody gets better at surfing by riding a bunch of different sh!t and never getting anything completely dialed, you get better by repetition on very similar craft and building muscle memory around those boards and style of surfing.

That is how you end up doing the things you've wanted to do and having the confidence to successfully ride the waves you want to ride.
For some like me I get bored and like a challenge currently no dedicated thrusters in my quiver plus no one to impress but myself so really dgaf after 40+ years of surfing:drowning: just stocked to be riding boards under my height at 52:shaka:

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
OK, so I was wrong.

People should be able to move between single, twin, twin keel, thruster, 4 fin, and 5 fin without a hitch.

No need to dial.

Just pick it up and rip.
Im 51, and have no problem switching it up, may take 1 or 2 waves to adjust but its a non issue. this should not be a problem for most competent surfers IMO.
And when I jump back on a HP sled after riding something more cruzy it feels like my surfing is actually better- kinda like a b ball hitter warming up on deck w a weighted bat- when you step up to the plate w reg bat it feels way light etc

+ I REALLY enjoy the feel of different types of boards. -that’s not gonna be everyone’s cuppa but that’s alright.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You can, but how much time are you willing to put into it? How many waves are you willing to waste in this short life? How long are you willing to have your ability level drop? And once you're dialed, are you ready to go back and revamp your quiver with twins because you've changed muscle memory?

The pros can switch through a bunch of different boards and fin setups because a) they're pros and b) they have the time and good wave access.

Nobody gets better at surfing by riding a bunch of different sh!t and never getting anything completely dialed, you get better by repetition on very similar craft and building muscle memory around those boards and style of surfing.

That is how you end up doing the things you've wanted to do and having the confidence to successfully ride the waves you want to ride.
I completely agree with this!

I have been riding the XTR Revo since January and after figuring out which fins to ride (took a few weeks), getting comfortable with the board (it felt too long and had to get the foot placement right) and riding it in all kinds of wave conditions, I finally feel like its perfect and I can do whatever I want on it. I cant do airs, but I feel like i can with this one. lol. I am actually a bit hesitant on riding the new Firewire Revo because the XTR is so dialed I dont know how anything could feel better.

HOWEVER, I do acknowledge that when you ride a board consistently for a long period of time, you do tend to feel stagnant and a new board will definitely change things up and help improve your surfing and surfing experience. But I do agree with Casa that if you rode something long enough (twins, single fins, thrusters, quads) you will eventually develop muscle memory and a surfing mentation to make the board work in any kind of condition.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I completely agree with this!

I have been riding the XTR Revo since January and after figuring out which fins to ride (took a few weeks), getting comfortable with the board (it felt too long and had to get the foot placement right) and riding it in all kinds of wave conditions, I finally feel like its perfect and I can do whatever I want on it. I cant do airs, but I feel like i can with this one. lol. I am actually a bit hesitant on riding the new Firewire Revo because the XTR is so dialed I dont know how anything could feel better.

HOWEVER, I do acknowledge that when you ride a board consistently for a long period of time, you do tend to feel stagnant and a new board will definitely change things up and help improve your surfing and surfing experience. But I do agree with Casa that if you rode something long enough (twins, single fins, thrusters, quads) you will eventually develop muscle memory and a surfing mentation to make the board work in any kind of condition.
Yes and no can use same argument life is to short to ride one board:shaka: Also makes a great excuse for wife when I want another board:shrug:

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
don't think anyone would argue that sticking with a consistent board design, in multiple conditions, won't make you more skilled at the fundamentals of surfing

that doesn't mean you should never ride twin fins or other designs though

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m a thruster guy. I can order a replacement of an old faithful and it can be cut off the same machine from the same file scrubbed by the same shaper and glassed by the same glasser and the boar will ride different. Not as different as going from thruster to twin or quad but noticeable. I think unlocking the code for a boar to work is so gratifying. Frustrating at first but when you figure it out sooo good.

Riding twins a few summers back helped with bottom turns. Stay low draw out the turn. It’s a good variation to a thruster bottom turn where you just crank it. Helps to fade and set up barrels.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
To help fix the lack of control of twin fins, bend your knees, widen your stance, and get as close to the water’s surface as possible while still having control/balance. Using your inside rail to enhance turns will give you a tighter pivot. Look at how low pros get during their bottom turns at the bottom of a wave, both frontside and backside. Using only the fins to turn means you’re standing too tall and the board is too parallel to the water’s surface so you’re not leaning over that rail to bury it and slice it through the water. Most beginners/adult learners(not stating that you are one) rely too much on that center fin and forget the role a rail plays for turns
caveat: I suck at sarfing and I don't know crap about the body mechanics involved and still just scratching the surface of boar design after 25 years of blissful ignorance and only riding one type of boar (HPSB thruster).
But Wax's post above makes sense to me. I see a lot of guys too upright when they turn, and it ends up looking more swively on top of the water instead of truly driving through the turns.

Also, to each their own, but man, some of you guys make surfing sound like a job with an annual performance review. I guess everyone has different goals, but to me this a hobby, a distraction from everyday life that is supposed to be fun. I've done my 10,000 hours, and I still suck: lifelong intermediate. At this point, I ain't optimizing my performance by riding the same boar every session. Been there, done that. Now, more like finding boars that help compensate for gradually diminishing skills, reflexes, and speed. :ROFLMAO: edit: and generally crappy waves.

Maybe I look like crap surfing different boars, but I could care less. I'm having more fun the last few years surfing than I ever did before. It makes it so much more interesting to me to find different sensations on a wave. It's such a subjective sport, it blows my mind when people on here claim there's one optimal way when it comes to boar design.
It's been fun trading boars with a few guys on here recently. Interesting to see that we will each pick out different pros/cons about the same boar.
:shaka:

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yes and no can use same argument life is to short to ride one board:shaka: Also makes a great excuse for wife when I want another board:shrug:
wife should be stocked if you're only banging different boars!
Mine gives me crap about the boar storage issue but she knows it's one of the healthier extracurricular activities I could be doing after a few years of marriage. it helps that she's got friends whose husbands are dogs, routinely not coming home on a night out "with the boys" n chit. These dudes making me look good!

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
you are riding sub 5'2 boards:bowdown:
Actually have 2x 5'2" one daily driver quad stubby superbuzz and a grovel gbuzz both I have been riding less and prefer little more rail after surfing AO twin my height and AO has been hard to put down. I scored 5150 5'6" and been surfing more lately not so great conditions but if good hard to put down twin:shaka: Good to have choices:cheers:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
for peak enjoyment - do not watch yourself surf.

things feel much better than they look. the only time looks matter are for pecking order in the lineup so don’t kook it.
I've also noticed the high cam angle really flattens out the waves and makes it look half as big and critical as it seems in the water! BS, man.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
wife should be stocked if you're only banging different boars not women!
Mine gives me crap about the boar storage issue but she knows it's one of the healthier extracurricular activities I could be doing after a few years of marriage. it helps that she's got friends whose husbands are dogs, routinely not coming home on a night out "with the boys" n chit. These dudes making me look good!
One quiver wife 27 years still not sure how I hooked this one great looking great cook great mom pretty stocked :cheers: