I don't believe in grovelers COME AT ME

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I think it (obviously) depends on where you live. Here in Sydney, NSW the most common type of board I see ridden is a JS Monstabox or BB3 equivalent. Works fine 99% of the time.

If I lived in Waikiki or Sunny Coast QLD, I'd also have a good log and a good step-up.
For Florida, I'd take up making fins out of G-10.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Just to throw a wrench in all this tall guy shouldn't ride a short, fat groveler talk: I'm 6'3 195 and ride a 5'7 Plasmic. It's super chunky, wide and short and my most HP board. I can get it more vert than any board and snap the living bejesus out of it. Despite the fat rail, it carves fine for me too. YMMV.
Also 6'3 and I wouldn't say shouldn't. Had a few super short grovelers that I enjoyed. I'd rather a board around 6' with a touch more rocker and rail line then the super flat/short grovelers. Especially when I'm wearing a lot of rubber. Went from a 5'7 BF to a 5'11 Ripoff a few years back and I was like fug that 5'7. Again maybe I'm just getting old.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There's so much of "grovel boards" that has bled over into "HP surfboards" where one ends and the other begins is highly debatable. If I take a board a pro would ride in say 6 foot rincon, and we shorten it by 2-3 inches, make it 5/8" wider, blow the tailblock out a little and then drop the rocker front and back, would you say that is a grovel board? You would probably look at it and think it's his regular shortboard. It isn't really. Kind of, but not really. The board was modified to surf sh!t. The whole grovel movement heavily influenced everyday HP shortboards. I'm short on time right now, but think about it. Besides, if it ain't a grovel board, a midsize or a longboard, none of the shops want it on the racks anymore. Because none of you are buying them. Gotta go..

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Negative.
yea I can surf .5 foot T-street or San Clemente pier on a regular ole blade.
Hell I can surf a HPSB at San-O most of the time without much struggling...

In texas its a different ballgame. Its like florida but less punchy and more inconsistent and shifty

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
yea I can surf .5 foot T-street or San Clemente pier on a regular ole blade.
Hell I can surf a HPSB at San-O most of the time without much struggling...

In texas its a different ballgame. Its like florida but less punchy and more inconsistent and shifty
Shorter period waves traveling over a large shelf = much much less wave energy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Depends on the sandbar the short period wave is hitting. In North Florida, lots of the long period stuff really walls out and is flat-faced. You need to get in reeeeaaaaaally early.

Meanwhile the 4@5 chunks with some angle on it, high tide inside sand ledge, no problem on a shortboard. Chip-ins and runners everywhere to spread it out. Glorious.

That BennyB clip above, lol. Basically a perfect chest-shoulder high wave, steep enough the whole way, not racy at all, one other guy in frame. Ideal bump squash thruster surf.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I had to squint to watch that. looks like my rnf96 which i'm stocked on these days

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
In '09 I had a Roberts' White Diamond and loved it but it was under-volumed for me.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
That clip is so old but still love watching it to see the mongs on longboards struggling to simply maintain their balance while going straight while he goes to town around them and gives zero fucks about the guys behind him (as they do when he's behind them so normal/normal). Was riding my mini-Simmons yesterday at my local point in waist and smaller waves (but with good shape) and had fun blowing past the drop ins on it. Most of the time they are so suprised they fall off. :monkey: