FloriDUH......

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
it's not moving the goal posts. your argument is a red herring. I'm not sure how many more ways I can express that here. the question was rhetorical...your demographic numbers are irrelevant; demographics could be different and skiing could still not be "a welcome place to minorities"

holy fk
Again . . . . The point I am making is that every time a disparity is presented in any facet of life, the kneejerk reaction is to point to it and say that "X" is systemically racist/sexist/etc. When in reality, racial disparities in luxury pursuits such as skiing, surfing, sailing, wine tasting etc are easily explained by economics. That is what primarily drives the racial make up of who ultimately ends up on the slopes, not a supposed toxic racist atmosphere that a large bulk of our population can't even afford to experience in the first place.

When the percent of white people in the upper 20% is exactly the same as the % of whites on ski slopes, that should tell you something. Now if you prefer to be data averse and value personal anecdotes over actual numbers, then I really can't help you understand anything because we are basically speaking 2 different languages.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Again . . . . The point I am making is that every time a disparity is presented in any facet of life, the kneejerk reaction is to point to it and say that "X" is systemically racist/sexist/etc. When in reality, racial disparities in luxury pursuits such as skiing, surfing, sailing, wine tasting etc are easily explained by economics. That is what primarily drives the racial make up of who ultimately ends up on the slopes, not a supposed toxic racist atmosphere that a large bulk of our population can't even afford to experience in the first place.

When the percent of white people in the upper 20% is exactly the same as the % of whites on ski slopes, that should tell you something. Now if you prefer to be data averse and value personal anecdotes over actual numbers, then I really can't help you understand anything because we are basically speaking 2 different languages.
What explains the guy getting called a slant-eyed devil and a twinkie?

Why is your kneejerk reaction to everything "it can't be racism"?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What explains the guy getting called a slant-eyed devil and a twinkie?

Why is your kneejerk reaction to everything "it can't be racism"?
Holy fook. You guys are really struggling. To be clear- what you described above is racism, no question. However they are also anecdotes. You can use an anecdote to describe a particular situation and suggest that they are part of a larger issue, however to say that they are the primary cause for a certain disparity while ignoring all other confounding factors is intellectually lazy and narrow minded.

Especially when you can directly correlate the racial makeup of a certain sport with income, which would suggest that the majority of the demographic can be explained by economics.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Holy fook. You guys are really struggling. To be clear- what you described above is racism, no question. However they are also anecdotes. You can use an anecdote to describe a particular situation and suggest that they are part of a larger issue, however to say that they are the primary cause for a certain disparity while ignoring all other confounding factors is intellectually lazy and narrow minded.

Especially when you can directly correlate the racial makeup of a certain sport with income, which would suggest that the majority of the demographic can be explained by economics.
Oh so we agree - what the author described is rampant racism and racism is a non-zero component of the racial makeup of the sport, and not being an asshole to non-white people is something Powder Magazine readers can do on their own.

Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Oh so we agree - what the author described is rampant racism and racism is a non-zero component of the racial makeup of the sport, and not being an asshole to non-white people is something Powder Magazine readers can do on their own.
Sure. Never said it wasn't a thing or something that couldn't be improved on. It's simply not the primary driver.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

isn't this really a discussion about wealth disparity?

what are the main drivers class distinctions and wealth disparity?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
isn't this really a discussion about wealth disparity?
Yes it is. Have you been paying attention?

what are the main drivers class distinctions and wealth disparity?
I've already covered that, try to keep up. Which is why I've already said several times now that if these arguments were approached from the angle that structural racism leads to lower incomes and thus a lower likelihood of partaking in a sport such as skiing or surfing, then they would be absolutely correct (except for people that Duffy knows).

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Yes it is. Have you been paying attention?

I've already covered that, try to keep up. Which is why I've already said several times now that if these arguments were approached from the angle that structural racism leads to lower incomes and thus a lower likelihood of partaking in a sport such as skiing or surfing, then they would be absolutely correct (except for people that Duffy knows).
so it's settled, you agree that structural racism exists and it's a problem.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Agreed. Also I imagine that there is more diversity on the slopes at Big Bear, Tahoe, Mammoth etc because of the proximity to LA and SF. Utah or Montana? Probably not :roflmao:
This. I know a black dude that skis and he's all over Mammoth and Squaw every winter but feels like he gets stink-eye in Utah.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
The housing market here has ballooned.

Even then, there are still idiots moving here with no job, no housing, no plan, thinking they can get a house + pool + tiki hut for $1000/mo, living near the beach in sunny 80-degree weather year-round

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit