Summer Surf Trips

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Jersey Shore in July with wife’s family. Kill me now.
:socrazy:
@MrSteve @surfadelphia
where’s the best peaks in Avalon, bros? Also, can I borrow a boar??
:LOL:
I've got a longboard about 40 minutes north you can grab and bring back on your way out. 15 minute detour if you're coming/going from Philly. It's July, anything better than ankle biters is a win.

Haven't been down to Avalon in a while but my guess is you've got free range to surf wherever until the lifeguards show up at 10.

Reactions: oeste858

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It’s almost always blown to chit by 9. Paddle out in the dark and surf 3 hours, then hope for at least a little bit of glass at sunset, or just start drinking after breakfast and a nap. only go when low tide is early am

Reactions: CutnSnip

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
been watching the cams.. first day ive seen it wasnt blown to sh!t after 9am.. fingers crossed we get some decent wind days when we're there. Staying at Las Flores.
At Flores right now,, third day, and for overall surf schedule the winds have been great and tides spot on:
- in water from 5am - 8am
-breakfast
-relax/nap
-lunch
-relalx/nap
-back in the water at 3pm/4pm till sunset
-beers
-dinner
-chill
-go to bed

-repeat

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Heading out for a session now .... conditions look promising ....

View attachment 128602
So right after making the above post ... grabbed my trusty 6'10" channeled single fin and headed out. Little did i know that MSW - changed the forecast after i left to 4'-6' ... i find their forecasts to be more of the Hawaiian scale. i arrive and it is pumping - looking solid 6'-8' on the sets ... no one in sight. i decide to give it a go ... strong rip near the shore - use the rip to get out ... except i get pulled further out than i planned ... so working against the current on my 6'10" it took me a while and some effort to get back near the takeoff area. The sets were going off and had my doubts on whether i could get into one on my 6'10" ... so i paddled further inside and then over off the center of the peak to hopefully still be in position to an in-between wave and/or be in position to dodge the next huge set. A set comes - i am looking at it and thinking .. YEAH I got that .... as i'm paddling for it - it starts to double up ... i go over the ledge picking up speed ... and then it starts to double up again ... by this time it's too late to back off - i go over the next ledge - it's a steep drop but i make it pretty easily to the bottom ... and then drive hard in the bottom turn and pull in .... go about 20 yards or so as the wave stands up and look up and see a huge wall closing out in front of me .... I angle towards the beach and as i am still looking up and I see that i'm not going to out run the lip and probably take it on the head ..... so i bail off right in the trough and get pushed under .... luckily body and board came out unscathed to surf another day. Time to break the 7'2" out! LOL

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
So right after making the above post ... grabbed my trusty 6'10" channeled single fin and headed out. Little did i know that MSW - changed the forecast after i left to 4'-6' ... i find their forecasts to be more of the Hawaiian scale. i arrive and it is pumping - looking solid 6'-8' on the sets ... no one in sight. i decide to give it a go ... strong rip near the shore - use the rip to get out ... except i get pulled further out than i planned ... so working against the current on my 6'10" it took me a while and some effort to get back near the takeoff area. The sets were going off and had my doubts on whether i could get into one on my 6'10" ... so i paddled further inside and then over off the center of the peak to hopefully still be in position to an in-between wave and/or be in position to dodge the next huge set. A set comes - i am looking at it and thinking .. YEAH I got that .... as i'm paddling for it - it starts to double up ... i go over the ledge picking up speed ... and then it starts to double up again ... by this time it's too late to back off - i go over the next ledge - it's a steep drop but i make it pretty easily to the bottom ... and then drive hard in the bottom turn and pull in .... go about 20 yards or so as the wave stands up and look up and see a huge wall closing out in front of me .... I angle towards the beach and as i am still looking up and I see that i'm not going to out run the lip and probably take it on the head ..... so i bail off right in the trough and get pushed under .... luckily body and board came out unscathed to surf another day. Time to break the 7'2" out! LOL

Playgrounds clips I've been seeing look very fun

Reactions: flyinraptr

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Is the Northern Nica generally a bit smaller or bigger than the Southern zones?

Reactions: flyinraptr

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
You never know. You could get a fun morning or 2.
Yep.

I generally head west to the mountains second half of July but if you’re there the first half, lemme know. Have 5’6” kg mabile twinzer to 9’2” gold standard, 10’0” levitator and some boards in between on the 7 mile Island. The inlet is best bet

Reactions: oeste858

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Is the Northern Nica generally a bit smaller or bigger than the Southern zones?
This time of year they appear a tad smaller from the photos i've seen ... haven't personally surfed that far north. Last couple of south swells the angle has been really steep - around 210 deg .... i like to see it anywhere between 216 and 220. Forecast is looking good - should be shoulder/head high or better for the next week and a half or so. Where in Nica are you going to? Have a good flight.