Semi-gun advice for larger beach breaks

Jan 15, 2020
I picked up a 6'9'' CI black beauty on craigslist, works great for the paddle out but it's very hard to turn at my weight (155 lbs). I surf this with small sized fins.

I got this board for large beach breaks without channels so paddling fast is a priority. I guess, I'm posting looking for advice to refine the next board to something that works.The black beauty rails are around 3'' and it's 21 wide or there about. I'm thinking something around 19 1/2 wide, 2 1/2 thick would work far better for me but what would be the equivalent height to maintain a similar volume and paddling power?

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: Aardwolf
Jan 15, 2020
And to clarify further, I got this because the paddle out is a breeze on it not really because the wave itself needs it.

Jan 15, 2020
Completely agree, a semi gun is an overkill even for the biggest of days at el porto but it's just nice to have for trips etc. I surf el porto out of necessity not out of choice :)

Reactions: Aruka
Jan 15, 2020
Anyway, let's ignore the fact that my local break is el porto :drowning:. Let's say I want a semi-gun for places without an easy paddle out for waves up to 3x. Not super hollow, not super mushy, no real channels so the board needs to paddle well.

Jan 15, 2020
You should be able to figure out how to get that board to turn IMO. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen, and all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, and let things happen.
Thanks for this. I subscribe to this ideology just wondering how I can make a board that fights me a little less.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
That board sounds wide and super thick for your weight. I'm about your weight and I would struggle to duck dive that much foam. What you said, 19.5 and 2.5, sounds a lot better. Als,o I don't think there is a beach in California that holds 3x overhead except OBSF and Blacks and I would want something longer than 6-9. Actually, I don't know that I'd paddle out in 3x overhead beach break.

This is 3x overhead beachbreak-

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
That board sound wide and super thick for your weight. I'm about your weight and I would struggle to duck dive that much foam. What you said, 19.5 and 2.5 sounds a lot better. Als,o I don't think there is a beach in California that holds 3x overhead except OBSF and Blacks and I actually would want something longer than 6-9...actually I don't know that I'd paddle out oat 3x overhead beach break. This is 3x overhead beachbreak

There's many places in CA that hold big-ish surf outside of the name spots. Duck diving becomes impossible in some scenarios on the board in question but that's not why I got it.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
That's a lot o' board for your weight. I think the 6'9 BB is 40L. I personally wouldn't want to be on anything more than a 6'2 at around 32L for the biggest the beaches get in the South Bay. I didn't break out my 6'0 Ghost this past winter (29.2 L) as I was fine on my 5'11 Fever at the jetty/HL. I get the ease of paddling on a boat of a board, but actually surfing a wave and being able to get under lines of chest high soup pays more dividends IMO. I'm 158 lbs. FWIW.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd listen to Chase as he surfs that zone. I used to live in Hermosa after college (many years ago) and cant imagine wanting a 6'9 there.
I love a Blackbird but never surfed it at a big BB, only winter reefs. Friends who charge Mex slabs & BB barrels swear by Rusty's Slayer. Depending on your height, maybe a ghost 6'0-6'3?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Thanks. Yes, I've been thinking of picking up a ghost for trips etc. I picked up the BB knowing that it was an overkill for the South Bay zone. I just wanted to experiment with it and get workouts in by paddling out on days that I'd usually skip i.e too closed out, no real channels etc, you get the picture and for trips.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
That’s a lot of board.

Something to try, worked for me in the past....if you can get hold of the Stretch SF4 front fins (plastic) and put an m3 in the back it will be much looser. The SF’s are effectively more towed in and fairly small, they loosen up stiff boards.

Reactions: lens_vagabond