Backdoor Shootout: It's On!

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Thu 1/13: Postponed for today. Not big enough I guess. Think they going try for Sun 1/16, last day of the waiting period.
The forecast for today (Friday) looks about the same as Sunday, DOH+ with no wind in the morning and a sea breeze in the afternoon. I wonder if they can spilt days, half a day today and finish Sunday.

Reactions: sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
The forecast for today (Friday) looks about the same as Sunday, DOH+ with no wind in the morning and a sea breeze in the afternoon. I wonder if they can spilt days, half a day today and finish Sunday.
Believe Eddie was the first guy who split days. Others do the same. Costs are higher but these guys are relatively lower budget and that would maximize wave quality. Was bombing just before dark on the cams.

Reactions: santacruzin

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Great contest! Nice to see Peru represented. I wonder why no Brazzos were invited? Aren't Hawaiians afraid of retaliation, and that they won't be invited to Rio?

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Great contest! Nice to see Peru represented. I wonder why no Brazzos were invited? Aren't Hawaiians afraid of retaliation, and that they won't be invited to Rio?
Well, when I think of the profitable exports of both nations, and the questionable antics of the contest host, I can draw a big, fat, white line to connect some dots.

Reactions: tenover

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
They certainly scored on the waves, I think I only skipped the surf a couple days the whole waiting period. The problem I have with the contest is reserving Pipe (a public asset) for 32 surfers for 4 days. In a normal contest you could get a winner in one day starting with 32 surfers.
I'm also bothered by the secret nature of scoring. I understand the backyard element of the organization but couldn't they post some results or at least some snap shots of the heat sheets? And why did they change it mid contest from top 4 waves to top 3 waves? Each contestant got about four hours at prime Pipe, they could of had it top 8 waves.

Reactions: sickdog and sponge

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
So stoked Mason won. They got such good waves. Surfed the last six days in a row and I’m battered and tweaked and feeling very happy and old. What a run of surf and it ain’t over.

Reactions: sickdog

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I haven't watched much of the last day. Kala's 12was insane.

Up until the last day, Balaram was the winner for me.

Reactions: Subway

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
they should change the name of the contest, seen hardly any backdoor waves ridden in those clips. surf contests are a yawn fest anyway, the highlights are all I can watch these days