Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
On a beautiful Sunday some time back. I took some "L" and went to Waimea to hang out. It wasn't big but there were fun sized shore break waves and a quite a few swimmers potentially at risk by a couple of surfers.

Butch Van Artsdalen was in the tower guarding, and seemed concerned for the safety of the swimmers. The surfer's rides were short, and pretty poor. So Butch took a board and paddled out to slightly overhead Pinballs and got a couple of real rides. He showed by example, didn't say anything, just made eye contact, and then looked out at where they ought to surf.

I would give any NS LG's the benefit of any doubt.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
On a beautiful Sunday some time back. I took some "L" and went to Waimea to hang out. It wasn't big but there were fun sized shore break waves and a quite a few swimmers potentially at risk by a couple of surfers.

Butch Van Artsdalen was in the tower guarding, and seemed concerned for the safety of the swimmers. The surfer's rides were short, and pretty poor. So Butch took a board and paddled out to slightly overhead Pinballs and got a couple of real rides. He showed by example, didn't say anything, just made eye contact, and then looked out at where they ought to surf.

I would give any NS LG's the benefit of any doubt.
Waimea Bay 1963.jpg
I truly miss, My Friend ~

Butch, Greg Noll, Mike Diffenderfer, Mike Hynson, Dewey Weber & myself ~ Waimea Bay 1963
4 out of the six, have departed the Ocean.

Me & Butch.jpg

Butch n' me ~ 1963

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"I would give any NS LG's the benefit of any doubt."

At a football game, baseball or basketball, fairly easy to secure.
Beach and ocean condition, The Arena of play is vast, and uncontrollable by a lifeguard.
Time and distance works against him and those that back him up.
The north shore of Oahu and it's beaches, where Lifeguards work during the winter months and having to take the responsibilities of others who have no knowledge of ocean waters or it's conditions on any given day, should be commended on a daily basis for the job, that each individual has taken upon themselves to look over the foolishness that some individuals take with harming themselves unknowingly.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
How bout this - the lifeguard was defending himself against NEOCOLONIAL AGGRESSION and WHITE SUPREMACY.
Yup, native Hawaiian lands and waters have been overrun by missionaries, capitalists, and hordes upon hordes of white devil tourists. The lifeguard should have let the imperialist dogs drown, but, he lives by the grace of the powers that be.

Funny thought, if Hawaii ever attained sovereignty maybe only Alii would be allowed to surf the pipe and kapu to everyone else, including the lifeguard.

Reactions: PRCD

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Two of my sons friends are LGs for the City of Del Mar. During the summer they each have several daily accounts of tourists and locals acting like idiots. Based on their accounts, The guard in question probably had every right to sound these guys the way he did.Unbelievable how stupid people get when they are in or around the ocean.
WTF?? Where are the OT Trolls / Kiddies when ya need them to answer some of this poop.
Kenny's kids all became LG's somewhere in Newport ~

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
WTF?? Where are the OT Trolls / Kiddies when ya need them to answer some of this poop.
Kenny's kids all became LG's somewhere in Newport ~
Two summers ago a largish homosexual woman who was swept out a ways by a rip tide was refusing aid from the two male guards. She needed to be rescued by a female. She was adamant that no male hands were to touch her body. They waited with her for a few minutes until a female guard could make it out to their position. Once they finally got her back to the beach, she had the nerve to complain to the Supervisor on duty that it took too long for her to get rescued.
It's stories like that, that have kept my son from joining. Instead, he took a job with the City as a "Beach Maintenance Technician" and made more $/hr without the hassle of dealing with the public.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Two summers ago a largish homosexual woman who was swept out a ways by a rip tide was refusing aid from the two male guards. She needed to be rescued by a female. She was adamant that no male hands were to touch her body. They waited with her for a few minutes until a female guard could make it out to their position. Once they finally got her back to the beach, she had the nerve to complain to the Supervisor on duty that it took too long for her to get rescued.
It's stories like that, that have kept my son from joining. Instead, he took a job with the City as a "Beach Maintenance Technician" and made more $/hr without the hassle of dealing with the public.
this can't be real

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yup, native Hawaiian lands and waters have been overrun by missionaries, capitalists, and hordes upon hordes of white devil tourists. The lifeguard should have let the imperialist dogs drown, but, he lives by the grace of the powers that be.

Funny thought, if Hawaii ever attained sovereignty maybe only Alii would be allowed to surf the pipe and kapu to everyone else, including the lifeguard.
The future of public service, gentlemen, is in letting nature run its course. No sense in saving ingrates from themselves. Time on the clock is time on the clock.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
this can't be real
Unfortunately, it is. Tourism and parking fines are major sources of revenue for the City and the LGs are a big part of the City's budget; so they tend to be extra nice to most beach goers.
Had it been a particularly busy day, they would have most likely pulled her into the boat and ran her in. That day was somewhat slow so they decided to humor her and stay with her until one of the lady guards paddled out on a rescue board to bring her in.

• Wow
Reactions: EastCoastBrah

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This didn’t sound like an emergency if she’s willing to refuse help. Time and tide could’ve done the rest. I would’ve told her we can’t get a female guard but we can get a harpoon boat but unfortunately I am the lead harpoonist.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Unfortunately, it is. Tourism and parking fines are major sources of revenue for the City and the LGs are a big part of the City's budget; so they tend to be extra nice to most beach goers.
Had it been a particularly busy day, they would have most likely pulled her into the boat and ran her in. That day was somewhat slow so they decided to humor her and stay with her until one of the lady guards paddled out on a rescue board to bring her in.
But how would you get her on the boat? Lure her in with Haagen Daz then use a crane? What if she tipped the boat on its transom?

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and PPK96754

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
If I flew all the way to Hawaii, specifically to surf Pipe, you bet your ass I'd be paddling out, regardless. Wouldn't waste that opportunity of a lifetime. But I'd also have a freshly shaped 6-9" rounded pintail under my arm with some JJF fins, not some JOB wavestorm. :roflmao:
Too much board

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This didn’t sound like an emergency if she’s willing to refuse help. Time and tide could’ve done the rest. I would’ve told her we can’t get a female guard but we can get a harpoon boat but unfortunately I am the lead harpoonist.
Not an emergency. Just an out of shape person who found themselves too far from shore. Guards in tower called the guys in the boat cruising outside the line up to help a swimmer that got too far out and needed assistance getting in. Had they given your response, they would have been fired....
You'd be shocked at the number of people that are in a serious situation that resist getting help. During summer, these kids have 3 or 4 stories of idiocy from every shift.