Mini Simmons vs/or Plasmic?

Jun 21, 2021
Love to hear your thoughts. I want a small board to ride the tiniest waves possible. Never fell in love with a longboard (had 4 and soll them all after a while) so looking for something that can fill that gap.

Do have already have a Machado Seaside (5’6) and a GMM2 (5’6)which I use for the smaller days.

Now looking for something that can ride even the smallest waves. I am considering a mini Simmons from Hydrodynamica, but also interested in an overvolumed and short Album Plasmic.
I am 48 years old, 172 lbs and 5’11. Excellent fitness (for my age).
Could you share your experiences with me?
Thanks.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Plasmic will be more similar to GMM2 (a HP mini sim variant). Don’t think it would be different enough to justify. Hypocritical, I realize.

Mitsven makes some nice quad mini sims: square or round tail. I had a 5’10 I just sold that was a true LB alternative- I’ll reorder one a bit narrower some day, maybe 5’7-5’9.
Previously had a 5’3 Hank Warner with the trad dual half moon keels. Also fun but just a bit too squirty. I preferred the quad.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Not either option you listed but the Von Sol Manta is the ultimate groveler in my experience. I’ve had a gmm and lost bottom feeder along with many fish and the VS blows them out of the water for tiny waves. It actually makes 1-2’ days fun.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
fwiw, recently picked up a used Christenson mini simmons from a guy who said he used to ride for Skip Frye, and he said that CC told him he designed it by taking the nose template of a longboard and then adding a wide chopped squash tail. rocker is as flat as a board. for ultimate micro waves, I think mini simmons would work better than plasmic

edit: if you want to "shred" but want to stay with a mini simmons platform, +1 for the VS Manta

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I agree with @bluengreen , the Plasmic is fun board for smaller waves, but not groveller for the tiniest. Don't over volume the Plasmic, as you will take away from the fun performance of the board when the waves are a bit bigger.

For tiniest waves, you need a uber cheater. I have 6' 0" quad egg that's thick, wide and flat - 40L. Once the waves have any shape, the 6' 0" quad egg's bulk becomes a hindrance very quickly. I will also surf one of the kid's foamies for the tiniest waves.

Reactions: morrisone and Havoc

KyleTalbott

Nep status
Jul 6, 2008
yeah, don’t Yuri your plasmic, bro.
Skipper Yuri? If so, hahahaha

Go Von Sol Manta. I had one and it was the best groveler I have owned with a surprising amount of range. A problematic amount of range.

I have a Mandala carbon pupu Superchunk that takes the cake but can’t recommend one as he’s not making micro lights right now.

Had a Vulcan Archetype. That thing was nuts. Almost as addictive as the Von Sol Manta but with a little less range because of the flat nose and the flat rocker.

Damn, now I want a Manta and a Shadow....

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Go Von Sol Manta. I had one and it was the best groveler I have owned with a surprising amount of range. A problematic amount of range.
This, I rode my Manta when I could've been on my DD type boards a lot last year after I got it because the wave count and speed is addictive. Also the build quality is amazing.

I forgot to say in my first message, I also had a CC mini sim and I never connected with it. I could see it being cool if you surfed long walled waves but for small beach break duty I did not enjoy it most of the time. It lacked the ability to redirect quickly in small waves to milk sections.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have never in my life seen anyone “ripping” on a mini-Simmons.

Maybe they are fun to ride but they really seem to hinder performance.

Conversely, the Plasmic is shredadelic.
Yep, no one is shredding a true minisim. It's just a different ride to other boars, and I also don't log, so it's really just a motivation to get wet when I normally might pass on the soft/weak/small conditions. It's ridiculously fast down the line, and then surprisingly swivelly when you go to turn. carving 360 spinners n chit. I would ride mine a few times a year in crap knee-high conditions, always fun, different.

I forgot to say in my first message, I also had a CC mini sim and I never connected with it. I could see it being cool if you surfed long walled waves but for small beach break duty I did not enjoy it most of the time. It lacked the ability to redirect quickly in small waves to milk sections.
Yeah, not for quick BBs. softer reef/point, yes.
I currently don't have one in my quiver- aside from GMM2- but I will again, for novelty.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is what you want:

CC Ocean Racer

I sold mine years back because I was having problems with my hip at the time and all the board under the back foot irritated it...Now the hip is rehabbed and man I wish I had it back.

I think mine was 5'1 or 5'2, wood keels.

It's just all around effortless fun and feels wonderful.

So easy to surf. Can trim or turn or pivot. Tiny waves.

You want this board because in knee-thigh high gutless surf only the smallest, youngest kids are ripping,

And even then it's hard work, and to pretty much anyone over the age of 20 it's just sucky.

So the question becomes how do you take advantage of the conditions without riding a longboard, and maintain that feeling of freedom?

I found the Ocean Racer did that, it was pretty addicting.

Last edited: