Fast Rising Swell Today

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Winds will remain light and variable toward the evening down here so I'm going to tackle it then. FInally :jamon:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
0900 surf check (using eyeballs, not cams): the usual flatness.
Will check again later.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
@r32 what time are those photos from?
Between 9.30 and 10.00-ish.

Forgot to mention, one guy got out with a broken board. He had both pieces under his arm. OBSF anything over 10' is pretty heavy. The wave is weird. It's a thundering almond barrel on the takeoff with a ton of current throughout the lineup, and a ton of undercurrent. But not really a top-to-bottom barreling wave like Puerto. But some pits feel like they have the same power. The wild currents have a lot to do with the huge opening to the bay at the Golden Gate. Meanwhile, there are waves that hit the outer bar a few miles out and standup to 30 - 40' and break.

To me the craziest thing about OBSF is the shifty peaks. One minute you're in the channel and paddle is going good. Next set shifts exactly on top of your head. Never a dull moment. And it feels like you're never out far enough there, until you are, then you're like holy sh!t that outer bar is getting too close, I should paddle in. Then a bigger set comes and you scream for the outside again. Cat/mouse game of the highest order.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Plenty of carnage to go around up here yesterday...very big and very clean and very powerful. My friend got caught in a 6-wave hold-down, leash broke...swam in got board, another friend came and grabbed him on a ski in a lull...then friend with ski anchored out, started paddling in to lineup, everybody yells 'go back!' as ski goes over the falls on a 20'+ wave...it now sits on the beach awaiting rescue on a small day. Another friend fell on his first wave, blew his knee out, probably done for the season. Meanwhile at the boat ramp it's 6' and friend with blown knee is circling around outside waiting for his partner to back unattached trailer out to pick him up, partner loses trailer, current takes it out, now a navigation hazard, unknown exactly where it lies at this point. Somebody brings another trailer to pick boat...meanwhile peanut gallery on beach gleefully watching the whole thing...hopefully somebody got video (maybe to help find the trailer)...oh geez, what a fiasco...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Plenty of carnage to go around up here yesterday...very big and very clean and very powerful. My friend got caught in a 6-wave hold-down, leash broke...swam in got board, another friend came and grabbed him on a ski in a lull...then friend with ski anchored out, started paddling in to lineup, everybody yells 'go back!' as ski goes over the falls on a 20'+ wave...it now sits on the beach awaiting rescue on a small day. Another friend fell on his first wave, blew his knee out, probably done for the season. Meanwhile at the boat ramp it's 6' and friend with blown knee is circling around outside waiting for his partner to back unattached trailer out to pick him up, partner loses trailer, current takes it out, now a navigation hazard, unknown exactly where it lies at this point. Somebody brings another trailer to pick boat...meanwhile peanut gallery on beach gleefully watching the whole thing...hopefully somebody got video (maybe to help find the trailer)...oh geez, what a fiasco...
what part of coastline?