CA orders mask mandate

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Literal?

just remember, you never, or rarely, know peoples real story
You don’t know if the mom of that kid is going through chemo and at a much higher risk of death or some other thing is going on that makes that extra precaution worth it to them.
I’m not assuming what prcd said he saw constitutes literal child abuse
Sure. I’ll give it a 0.01% chance that what you said or similar may be true.

However in all likelihood, the Dad is probably a basket case who is so afraid of Covid that he wears a mask outside and forces his daughter to do the same and instills a sense fear in her. I regularly see people driving, walking, and biking by themselves in broad daylight in areas with good air quality with masks on. Never did I see that before Covid. It’s completely irrational.

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
No. It’s because the vaccines are nowhere near the long term efficacy of vaccines such as for Polio, Mumps, Tetanus etc.

I’ve heard that respiratory diseases in general are difficult to develop long term vaccines for.
Idiotic pundit Twitterati with humanities degrees were comparing this vaccination campaign to that of smallpox and MMR. We have no chance of eradicating this virus like smallpox because it has multiple hosts and mutates rapidly. Also, these vaccines have almost no effect on infection and transmission. We can make it endemic, and we're probably already there.

Reactions: grapedrink

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No. It’s because the vaccines are nowhere near the long term efficacy of vaccines such as for Polio, Mumps, Tetanus etc.

I’ve heard that respiratory diseases in general are difficult to develop long term vaccines for.
It's all because of the original messaging

People thought COVID was going to be something tragic like polio when in actuality it's more like the flu

The vaccines for both are also different. The sooner all of society realizes that covid and the flu are similar and endemic, the sooner we can get on with it

However, the control is addicting to those in power, and to those who enjoy being controlled

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sure. I’ll give it a 0.01% chance that what you said or similar may be true.

However in all likelihood, the Dad is probably a basket case who is so afraid of Covid that he wears a mask outside and forces his daughter to do the same and instills a sense fear in her. I regularly see people driving, walking, and biking by themselves in broad daylight in areas with good air quality with masks on. Never did I see that before Covid. It’s completely irrational.
It's also completely inconsequential. Personally, I'd rather have my parents make me wear a mask in public than send me from Kentucky to DC on a bus so I can protest abortion. I can certainly tell for myself which dad is the bigger basket case in that instance.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It's also completely inconsequential. Personally, I'd rather have my parents make me wear a mask in public than send me from Kentucky to DC on a bus so I can protest abortion. I can certainly tell for myself which dad is the bigger basket case in that instance.
No, it is consequential. You are teaching your kids to be afraid of things that will make them sick in a way that is practically impossible. Especially in that context, where the Dad is in constant fear as well. Fake boogeymen.

Facial expressions and the social cues embedded in them are also a key component of human interaction and communication. This is indisputable.

Reactions: Ifallalot

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It's all because of the original messaging

People thought COVID was going to be something tragic like polio when in actuality it's more like the flu

The vaccines for both are also different. The sooner all of society realizes that covid and the flu are similar and endemic, the sooner we can get on with it

However, the control is addicting to those in power, and to those who enjoy being controlled
I think Rochelle Walensky deserves most of the blame for this. Back in April she was saying that the vaccines prevent infection and transmission and that you won't get COVID if you get vaccinated. I'm trying to figure out how an idiot like her ends up at the head of the CDC, or teaching at Harvard, for that matter. Harvard and most elite institutions are fighting a war on competency, so I guess it's not so surprising that she slipped through the cracks there. But I suspect she's skilled in other areas that enabled her to succeed in a man's world. To put a finer point on it, I suspect she suck-started her career and sucked her way to the top like Kamala Harris.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No, it is consequential. You are teaching your kids to be afraid of things that will make them sick in a way that is practically impossible. Especially in that context, where the Dad is in constant fear as well. Fake boogeymen.

Facial expressions and the social cues embedded in them are also a key component of human interaction and communication. This is indisputable.
LMAO like half this country believes in a talking snake and a talking dead guy. The mask is the least of our worries. It's even less of a concern than trans people.

People don't owe other people interaction and communication. Nobody needs to see the bottom of my face to ring up my groceries or scan my boarding pass.

• Haha
Reactions: rice and grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
LMAO like half this country believes in a talking snake and a talking dead guy. The mask is the least of our worries. It's even less of a concern than trans people.

People don't owe other people interaction and communication. Nobody needs to see the bottom of my face to ring up my groceries or scan my boarding pass.
Kids are wearing masks in school too, remember :trout: We are already seeing a lot more social awkwardness, inability to communicate, poor posture and other psychological effects with Gen Z because of phones and social media. Masks will likely make this all worse if it continues for much longer. We are turning them into Aspies.

What exactly does masking a child outdoors, at the beach when it’s sunny and windy, achieve? What exactly does that teach them?

Reactions: laidback

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think to justify saying mask mandates are like NAZI kill all the Jews mandates, you have to believe the virus is not a legitimate threat.

Surely the anti-mask people would admit the society is not set up to respond to pandemics.

I think that is the cause of all of the leakage happening online and ITRW.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Kids are wearing masks in school too, remember :trout: We are already seeing a lot more social awkwardness, inability to communicate, poor posture and other psychological effects with Gen Z because of phones and social media. Masks will likely make this all worse if it continues for much longer. We are turning them into Aspies.

What exactly does masking a child outdoors, at the beach when it’s sunny and windy, achieve? What exactly does that teach them?
Nature > nurture.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

If the kid is on the dads shoulders they aren’t missing out on facial expressions at least not each others

caution does not always equal fear

And yes, the scenario I put out there, where the mom is on chemo, isn’t likely, but you never know what’s going on in someone’s life. That’s not a new concept

but last year, after my mother died, when we sold her place, I emptied it out, making lots of trips from her apartment to my car
On my last trip out of her place, I got a little choked up.
There I was, walking the halls of an apartment building and down the street, carrying an ironing board, alone, all teary eyed. As I passed the 3rd person on the street, I had to laugh. How ridiculous I must’ve looked to these people, crying on the street holding an ironing board
It just reminded me to give people the benefit of the doubt. No need to judge everyone, and you don’t know their real story

Reactions: rice

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

It teaches them the same thing that sending them to church every Sunday teaches them.

Except it makes the cons mad! #winning

Personally I think the kids are alright and they communicate fine. They just don't communicate with old people. You and I are old - you didn't get the memo?

Imagine the mask is a red trucker hat that says "Make America Great Again". Oh wait, you're already sperging out about it 24/7.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

The other half has just replaced talking dead guys with the new secular state religion