Progression Project

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I have been a fan of this podcast for years, though it has faded a little in past while, got a little too technical and somehow lost the stoke.

His latest interview with Jim Bones is well worth a listen. He is a Maui guy that has done all the new sports as they came up, but he's fundamentally a surfer. He's 74 and doing 6 hour foil surf sessions daily. Quite inspiring for advancing middle agers.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm a glutton for foil content so I listen to anything I come across. I think the problem is Erik is getting full of himself. Trying to say he's figured out secrets to KDMaui's turns. When there's no secret and watch any video of a foiler and you'll see the same thing. Or as I sent him a youtube on how bike and unicycle's work. He's still stoked and it's fun to listen to.

Reactions: juandesooka

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm a glutton for foil content so I listen to anything I come across.
You and me both. I clearly don't get enough water time.:loser:
Do you follow the blue planet youtube and podcasts? He has some stoking content, though it's more wing focused. I like the ones where him and buddies watch an hour session and comment on their rides. My non foiling friend watched it and said "these guys sound like you, if you were in Oahu, you'd be on this"....and he's right. That's the fun part, they sound like regular dudes you hang with at the beach.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

Well then have some content. Raw downwind from yesterday. Not me. I couldn't force myself to go out and cry in the ocean when it was cold and I had work to do. The description has time stamps if you just want to skip to the good glides.

Also I joined Coach Casey Club for a month or so. It's fun. If you have any kind of video of yourself I say it's worth it to hear him and the other guys give tips on it. Plus content!

Aug 28, 2020
I am also a glutton for almost any foil content. The PP sometimes gets too involved in numbers like 980 vs 1210, which only makes sense if you know what manufacturer(s) they're talking about. I much prefer the episodes where they're discussing concepts or technique or historical stuff.

I met Erik and Brian Finch last month in Jacksonville. They are incredibly friendly (even to an old newb like me) and have a great crew of foilers there. It reminds me of snowboarding in the mid-1980s, where if you were on a snowboard you pretty much met and rode with every other snowboarder on the mountain.

I will be headed back to FL in mid-January, as it's just too cold to get much time in the water here in New England.

Reactions: Hdip