Offshore wind farm approved.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So it was Door #2. I was hoping that wasn't Shaftoe's head. And speaking of Shaftoes, I did pick up Cryptonomicon, which I am looking forward to reading.

But not until after pre-ordered copy of Leviathan Falls arrives tomorrow. Timed the series re-read well as I have about 130 pages or so left in Tiamat's Wrath to flow straight into the last book. Such a great series. :jamon:

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
So it was Door #2. I was hoping that wasn't Shaftoe's head. And speaking of Shaftoes, I did pick up Cryptonomicon, which I am looking forward to reading.

But not until after pre-ordered copy of Leviathan Falls arrives tomorrow. Timed the series re-read well as I have about 130 pages or so left in Tiamat's Wrath to flow straight into the last book. Such a great series. :jamon:
You will enjoy Cryptonomicron, and see what the Waterhouse, Shaftoe, and Root descendants are up to

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You will enjoy Cryptonomicron, and see what the Waterhouse, Shaftoe, and Root descendants are up to
Thanks. Also picked up Seveneves too. Along with several other books.

Didn't want to order a bunch of books before I moved as it would just mean more sh!t carted over. Going to eventually have some built-ins installed so lot more shelf space.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks. Also picked up Seveneves too. Along with several other books.

Didn't want to order a bunch of books before I moved as it would just mean more sh!t carted over. Going to eventually have some built-ins installed so lot more shelf space.
Seveneves is good. There's a jarring time jump in it but it makes it work. Also, the one character is so noticeably based on Neil DeGrasse Tyson it's hilarious

I want to reread a bunch of books right now rather than seek out anything new

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Seveneves is good. There's a jarring time jump in it but it makes it work. Also, the one character is so noticeably based on Neil DeGrasse Tyson it's hilarious

I want to reread a bunch of books right now rather than seek out anything new
Nice. I recommend Snow Crash also - you'd like it. Absolutely mindbending that it was written in early 90s.

It's always great to re-read a favorite book - like visiting with an old friend.

Reactions: Ifallalot

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I'm really surprised all the titans of industry on erBB aren't supporting new manufacturing and construction jobs.
The company, Orsted, that Gromsdad posted pictures of their ships, is one of, if not the largest wind energy companies in the world. They are Danish and they like to use their own people for the manufacturing and construction of this equipment and these projects. The big $$$ will flow back to Denmark.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008

I'm reading Annals of the Former World by McPhee..geology is, like, heavy, man.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'm amazed that there hasn't been a bigger effort to harness the tides to power turbines along the coast. If you ever visit NYC I recommend visiting the USS Intrepid. The ship is immense. Stop to consider that every 6.5 hours or so the tide raises or lowers this giant ship approximately six feet. It never stops going up and down with the tide. A current is always passing through as well. By harnessing the currents and lifting power of the tides and leverage you ought to be able to come up with a simple and reliable source of electricity that isn't hindered by a lack of wind or cloud cover.

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm amazed that there hasn't been a bigger effort to harness the tides to power turbines along the coast. If you ever visit NYC I recommend visiting the USS Intrepid. The ship is immense. Stop to consider that every 6.5 hours or so the tide raises or lowers this giant ship approximately six feet. It never stops going up and down with the tide. A current is always passing through as well. By harnessing the currents and lifting power of the tides and leverage you ought to be able to come up with a simple and reliable source of electricity that isn't hindered by a lack of wind or cloud cover.

I just saw a news article about some improvements in tidal energy....I can't find it now, but it was interesting

the benefit is it sits below waterline, but it still seems like it has its own set of hazards

Reactions: npsp and Ifallalot

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Off the coast of Scotland is a tidal generator. Recent news item here.

On the south island of NZed is a lake with a tunnel that outflows into the west coast (Doubtful Sound) In the tunnel is a turbine. Since the lake is like 300 ft above sea level, the drop to sea level provided the potential for generation. The power station sends the power to an aluminum smelter. The lake use to outflow to a river, but they control that outflow now. Not really the same as tidal power as it is more akin to a hydropower station at a dam.

the benefit is it sits below waterline, but it still seems like it has its own set of hazards
At this link is a list of potential problems for tidal generators. No free lunch.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Off the coast of Scotland is a tidal generator. Recent news item here.

On the south island of NZed is a lake with a tunnel that outflows into the west coast (Doubtful Sound) In the tunnel is a turbine. Since the lake is like 300 ft above sea level, the drop to sea level provided the potential for generation. The power station sends the power to an aluminum smelter. The lake use to outflow to a river, but they control that outflow now. Not really the same as tidal power as it is more akin to a hydropower station at a dam.

At this link is a list of potential problems for tidal generators. No free lunch.
if humans could continue to develop this type of low-impact, passive energy generation that takes advantage of local features, over time you can live free and clear on the capital (energy) gains without expensive pollution

there are countries who have figured this out; maybe it doesn't work everywhere, but tidal, hydro, geothermal, wind....there's got to be an angle almost everywhere that you could take advantage of

Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
if humans could continue to develop this type of low-impact, passive energy generation that takes advantage of local features, over time you can live free and clear on the capital (energy) gains without expensive pollution

there are countries who have figured this out; maybe it doesn't work everywhere, but tidal, hydro, geothermal, wind....there's got to be an angle almost everywhere that you could take advantage of
This stuff is all being worked on. It is just overshadowed by wind and solar which for some reason is deemed more sexy.
Europe is way ahead of us in developing renewable energy. They are not as fixated on wind and solar as we are. Wind is huge for sure but they rely heavily on digester gas (RNG), geo-thermal, hydro and nuclear power to meet their demands. They embrace innovation are very diversified in their energy portfolio, whereas we have tunnel vision and a hard on for two technologies that cannot solve the problem.
Diversion of all (as much as possible) organic solid wastes to anaerobic digesters for conversion to RNG and class A biosolids is such a no brainer on many levels and is gaining grass roots traction but is virtually ignored in the grand scheme of things.... This has to change.

Reactions: afoaf

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Nice. I recommend Snow Crash also - you'd like it. Absolutely mindbending that it was written in early 90s.

It's always great to re-read a favorite book - like visiting with an old friend.
Snow Crash and Diamond Age: or A Young Ladies Illustrated Primer are great books. I think I read Cryptonomicon but cannot be certain. Sounds very familiar. Started Quicksilver but lost interest...

I find him kind of a one-trick pony. He's good at what he does, but enough is enough. Like Cormac McCarthy.