Who are the best surfers in America right now?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Best on the East Coast:
Cam Richards, Evan Geiselman, and Carolina Marks if she's still considered East Coast.

Best on the West Coast:
Colapintos, Andino, Coffins. Always liked Lakey Peterson - for multiple reasons. Not just two really big ones!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Brevard's spots falling off is IMHO a big deal. Used to be a ton of practice on offer at First Peak. Shitloads of rippable wedges. Spanny didn't close out as badly.

Instead of being a hotbed of talented surfers, it's a hotbed of talented fishing vloggers.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Best on the East Coast:
Cam Richards, Evan Geiselman, and Carolina Marks if she's still considered East Coast.

Best on the West Coast:
Colapintos, Andino, Coffins. Always liked Lakey Peterson - for multiple reasons. Not just two really big ones!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Brevard's spots falling off is IMHO a big deal. Used to be a ton of practice on offer at First Peak. Shitloads of rippable wedges. Spanny didn't close out as badly.

Instead of being a hotbed of talented surfers, it's a hotbed of talented fishing vloggers.
Keep an eye on Carl Burger from that region. I've gotten to watch him surf quite a bit. He is a legit talent.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
West Coast: Luke Davis' younger brother Jake is an impressive surfer. He's working his way back from a serious injury and major back surgery. His air game is on point. Don't know if he has aspirations to be a tour surfer though.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I stopped caring about the tour when Dane left also. I've been looking hard and I still haven't seen a rail game as good as Dane's.

Airs are cool just most of us should spend more time working on our rail game, so I don't care that much how good a pro's airs are.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Been watching Off da lip's Youtube videos coming out of the North shore last few weeks since its been terrible waves where I live. I encouraged him to add time stamps to his vids and add the names of the surfers he is filming which he has done. Makes it super easy to see who's who. Just yesterday watched a vid with Kade Matson in it and thought he needed to work on his style. Plenty of the up and comers mentioned in this thread can be seen in these videos which is a counterpoint to the footage for their promo videos or contest stuff where free surfing shows them letting it all hang out.
Example:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
I'd say the Coffin brothers are up there.
+10 on Mason Ho, he's really fun to watch.
And that wipeout vid:bricks: Yikes.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I still think Kelly's combination of freak talent, strength, power, style, creativity, speed, ability to "keep up with the kids and their airs" still make him the best surfer to watch at any given spot on any decent day

Reactions: buttholesurfer