*** Official HIC Pipe Pro (Qualifying Series) Contest Thread ***

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
OK, the World Surf League has a three tier system:
Regional Qualifying Series give local surfers a chance to join the pro ranks and get into the...
Challenger Series are fed by the regional qualifiers and points leaders can qualify for the...
Championship Tour, which ultimately determines the world champions.

That said, it was just announced today that the HIC Pipe Pro, a Regional Qualifying Series contest, is indeed happening! Again, the Digital Vans Triple Crown of Surfing includes the Pipe Masters, held between Dec 21, 2021 and Jan 21, 2022; it is sanctioned by the WSL but is not part of any of the three series. Then the Billabong Pro Pipeline, the first stop of the 2022 WCT season, happens Jan 29 - Feb 10, 2022.

Event: HIC Pipe Pro
Series: Regional Qualifying Series
Window: Dec 8-20, 2021
Website: https://www.worldsurfleague.com/events/2021/mqs/3882/hic-pipe-pro

Pipeline is going to be extra-busy this winter, unless this La Nina run of small surf continues.

Photo from the 2020 Volcom Pipe Pro, 1/29/20.
200129_16.jpg

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
This contest has gone through many sponsor iterations and name changes. The ones that I'm familiar with include:
HIC Pipeline Pro
Hansens Energy Pro
Monster Energy Pro
Volcom Pipeline/Pipe Pro
HIC Pipe Pro

So HIC (aka Hawaiian Island Creations) is back at Pipeline with title sponsorship.

Here's a shot of Marvin Foster (RIP) at the original HIC Pipeline Pro way back in 1991 (my old photo).

nautmarv.jpg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This contest has gone through many sponsor iterations and name changes. The ones that I'm familiar with include:
HIC Pipeline Pro
Hansens Energy Pro
Monster Energy Pro
Volcom Pipeline/Pipe Pro
HIC Pipe Pro

So HIC (aka Hawaiian Island Creations) is back at Pipeline with title sponsorship.

Here's a shot of Marvin Foster (RIP) at the original HIC Pipeline Pro way back in 1991 (my old photo).

View attachment 119867
Many Maaaaany years ago I went to a surf shop event I think put on by Quiksilver and Marvin was there. Somewhere I have a glossy B/W picture that he was autographing and giving away that day. That might be the picture.

Reactions: Boneroni and sponge

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Another shot from the 1991 HIC Pipeline Pro. This is Johnny Boy Gomes doing a pretty nuts snap. He used to yell at people riding Pipe to "Do something!"

JBG_Pipeline_1991.jpg

Waiting period starts tomorrow (Dec 8-20, 2021). Water quality is poor right now with lots of rain the past couple days. As @vanrysss stated, near-term surf forecast does not look good.

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Thu 12/9: Contest is OFF.

Surf is tiny. Surf forecast doesn't look good until the end of the waiting period. Water clarity slowly getting better. Rains easing. Easterly trades (offshore at Pipe) strengthening till early next week.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Surf on Kauai's north shore is very small. Flat to a foot for the "bowl area" at Hanalei Bay.
PineTree's, is marginal with a few waves breaking close to the shoreline. (Thur PM, Fri AM)
East side 1 to 3 with the returning Tradewind push ~ (early dinner @Monico's Taqueria in Kapa'a, south end ,Thurs evening)

Last edited:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Tue 12/14: contest is OFF today.

Swam out to the Pipe lineup this morning. It was tiny, swell out of the north, sideshores, a little currenty. I'm guessing they will run tomorrow even though swell out of the north, then maybe Friday but more likely Saturday and Sunday.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Tue 12/14: contest is OFF today.

Swam out to the Pipe lineup this morning. It was tiny, swell out of the north, sideshores, a little currenty. I'm guessing they will run tomorrow even though swell out of the north, then maybe Friday but more likely Saturday and Sunday.
Sand on the reef?

Reactions: sponge