Fin kit. What's your setup.

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
I've seen a couple threads on here for board storage but nothing about fin storage. How do you organize your fin quiver? What do you throw in the car for a surf kit?

I use a light and simple Dewalt tool box. In the top of the tool box I keep all the essentials for day trips and longer adventures:
Wax, comb, fin keys, ding tape, Aquaseal, ear plugs, fin screws, leash strings...
Within that I have two Dakine Cyclone Fin Stash bags. They do a good job of organizing 4 sets of fins each.

What are you guys using?

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i dig your setup. i need to get more organized. i have one of the fcs fin wallets that i quite like but the rest of my stuff is strewn about. you've inspired me. i'm going to make a kit for my upcoming baja trip.

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
Yep, that's exactly what motivated me to build my kit. When you're in down there, there's no surf shop to go grab more sh!t when you forget something. Now I find it comes in handy when I discover a ding, a frayed leash string or I want to experiment with fins.

Apr 29, 2013
Oregon
View attachment 119816

Brilliant idea, thanks :)

I'm pretty sure I will be ridiculed when I bring this on a trip with my mates.

However he who laughs last laughs best; I will not share any of my 18 leash strings.

Yup, exactly. When they forget their fins, or have a ding that's one less person in the lineup. :nana:
What box are you using? The extra depth is nice for more fin wallets. I'm maxed out with 8 sets of fins, oh the horror!

Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
at home I have an old Amazon shipping box with the flaps torn off the top.

In the truck I use one of those Patagonia Black Hole cubes which is about the size of the futures fin pouch.

Reactions: ReForest

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Yup, exactly. When they forget their fins, or have a ding that's one less person in the lineup. :nana:
What box are you using? The extra depth is nice for more fin wallets. I'm maxed out with 8 sets of fins, oh the horror!
An old Stanley one that I found in the streets, served as my MTB toolbox before. Now I'm daydreaming of improving my ding repair game with a battery powered sander; nothing more annoying than hand sanding for hours after a long day of surfing.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I've seen a couple threads on here for board storage but nothing about fin storage. How do you organize your fin quiver? What do you throw in the car for a surf kit?
Fark, I suck, I did not know I was supposed to adjust my fins constantly.

For me, once the boar is dialed in, homey don't mess with success.

• Haha

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I keep futures in their original bag. Have a few sets of fcs2 that stay in a fun wallet bcuz the packaging is cardboard junk. None of this nerd toolbox sh!t for me, wax goes back in the box or into a plastic bag and into a larger plastic bag with sunscreen. And ps, storing your leashes like a coiled snake is a no no, that sh!t will be wrapping around your leg all day

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
View attachment 119816

Brilliant idea, thanks :)

I'm pretty sure I will be ridiculed when I bring this on a trip with my mates.

However he who laughs last laughs best; I will not share any of my 18 leash strings.
IVe got the same toolbox (though mine is old and crappy) so gave it a wash and have repurposed it as a fin and accs box which is neater than the plastic box I was using. No longer have to dig around for stuff in the box.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Alright I'll bite, I think this is trap for me, because I have organizing in my DNA, so kinda I'm kind of crazy in that respect.

I really like the tool box idea, but seems like it would constrain space in my vehicle; although I have hard roof racks I usually keep my board(s) inside the car [VW Station wagon].
-I have four fin wallets that I lay flat in the back: FCS (two versions the hard case and soft one), Wave Tribe (for longer fins) and CI, I think CI is the best of the three and I use an old soft sided lunch box for wax storage.

Now the thing that still grinds my gears is board bag storage! Bags hanging all over my garage. It is easy to put them away, but then when you want to grab one, oh man first world problems!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
3E048F99-3B8E-4A46-AAC5-E85F8488449D.jpeg

gear kit as metaphor for one's life? Ain’t pretty, but it’s all in there. maybe 70% Futures / 30% FCS2 nowadays, with a bunch a TA fins in there.
And yes, this thread is peak erBB design forum. Maybe even more than the Brag about your quiver shapers thread. LOL

Last edited:

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
too sloppy, bring your whole fin quiver to the beach day? :roflmao:

usually I'll put one in the board to start, if it don't feel right swap it out.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
too sloppy, bring your whole fin quiver to the beach day? :roflmao:

usually I'll put one in the board to start, if it don't feel right swap it out.
yeah, I usually have 2 boars in the back with me each day in case I get a window to surf and rotate them every couple days depending on the conditions and mood. easier just to have the fins with me so no FOMO fin choice.

Reactions: MathDebater