Album Surfboards

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
It looks like Asher Pacey and kookapinto are riding relatively high volume Plasmics for their weights and ripping. That inspired me to go higher than my normal volume…and the fact that I’m mid life, heavy, and surfing gutless waves most days.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I find most hipster sleds are to be sized according to facial hair - i went for soul-patch height for plasmic and mustache for lightbender and they both work great.

whats equiv sizing for a mid? Height according to top knot/man bun?
I went with 6'9" because sixtynine is so fun to say and it sounds so kool:shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
The tail shapes and nose widths seem to vary a lot on these. Mine has a much wider nose, wing just after the fins and an incut that is strait and at a lower angle. Looks like this:

Plasmic.1450.Fern_1800x1800.jpg

Are you guys ordering yours with modifications?

Last edited:

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC
The tail shapes and nose widths seem to vary a lot on these. Mine has a much wider nose, wing just above the fins and an incut that is strait and at a lower angle. Looks like this:

View attachment 119532

Are you guys ordering yours with modifications?
you're right, your tail looks different from mine, I just put in the order for the plasmic, no modifications...I kind of like no incut...I like more tail on my boards :D

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
surfed the mushy reef today with a buddy. i rode my plasmic and let him borrow the lightbender. he was frothing on it. wants to order one right away. i told him he should try the plasmic east and then decide since they pretty much cover same ground. he's a bit smaller than i am so both boards are oversized but maybe that's part of what he liked since he's a little older and doesn't get to surf all the time w/ his family and whip cracking wife.

either way ill prob steer him towards XTR for price reasons.

May 20, 2020
surfed the mushy reef today with a buddy. i rode my plasmic and let him borrow the lightbender. he was frothing on it. wants to order one right away. i told him he should try the plasmic east and then decide since they pretty much cover same ground. he's a bit smaller than i am so both boards are oversized but maybe that's part of what he liked since he's a little older and doesn't get to surf all the time w/ his family and whip cracking wife.

either way ill prob steer him towards XTR for price reasons.
@Aruka, let us know which one he goes with. I've been considering the lightbender in XTR stringered 8 or 8C over the plasmic just because I thought it would have more range, especially for beach breaks. But I haven't ridden either. Just going on everyones overall feedback.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka, let us know which one he goes with. I've been considering the lightbender in XTR stringered 8 or 8C over the plasmic just because I thought it would have more range, especially for beach breaks. But I haven't ridden either. Just going on everyones overall feedback.
i do think the LB has slightly more top end hold w/ the swallow tail. Plasmic east has a little more tail rocker and might have a slight edge at staying in the pocket in small waves. outline and rocker are so similar that i think it's really more about how you want to surf. LB has a little more drive, draws longer lines, PE is more pivotal, better at hitting the lip and surfing tight in the pocket. they are both easy to surf and have a large range and variety of waves they will work in. i think PE might suit my style and local waves a little better but i'm still in the honeymoon phase. will do a back to back comparison next time i surf with my buddy.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
between the two I pick plasmic for a punchy BB. its quicker and can put you into some pretty cool places on the wave and throwing that tail into a quick jam is so fun.

imo, lightbender only if you get your jolly’s more on a 200yrd racing high lines.

for points and reefs, I think lightbender no question.

ymmv.