Cali Lunch Brah

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
100% right on the dough - the vast majority of the time that's the issue.

However I don't think it's not doable even with the water here - there are places with decent crust in CA but it seems the majority of restaurants can't figure it out.
Agreed- they simply don’t care because the bar is so low. I make pretty kickass dough at home. I use RO filtered water, but to be fair I haven’t tried it without. Makes a great pizza with nice rise.

I think another common mistake is using cold and/or frozen dough. Let it get to room temperature and rise to the occasion :beer: HUH HUH GET IT

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
To most CA natives the word, "California". has a beautiful sound, an an even more beautiful geography, and heritage. As many in the world view the USA as their desired destination, similarly many Americans view CA the same way.

One is foolish not to realize that many who love California do not care for the term "Cali". We didn't need hippety-hop gansta rap music East Coasters to name it that.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Is this 2031? Wasn't Big Arnold after JB? (Actually, I found interesting that the water source could affect the pizza dough.)

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Is this 2031? Wasn't Big Arnold after JB? (Actually, I found interesting that the water source could affect the pizza dough.)
Also the temp of the water when you add it to the dry ingredients. Too cold = too hard, too hot = sticky

If you make your own, use a thermometer and shoot for 100-103 F :beer:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
best slice in California IMO is Larchmont Pizzaria in Larchmont Village. They got it down pretty good. Mulberry ST in Beverly Hills has the flavor but the crust is waaaaayy to thin.

closet youll come to a proper Brooklyn slice of Pizza on the west coast IMO.

Also Bagel Brokers on Beverly/Orange. Damn good bagel.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There's jack sh!t special about the water in New York. Urban legend. Except before the last few years if it came from the Hudson it'd kill a nuclear waste containment vessel.

The dough being undercooked is a serious problem in lots of pizza/subs.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
There's jack sh!t special about the water in New York. Urban legend. Except before the last few years if it came from the Hudson it'd kill a nuclear waste containment vessel.
Probably true, but its wind driven snow in purity compared to coastal CA water.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Probably true, but its wind driven snow in purity compared to coastal CA water.
I don't know why pie joints and bakeries don't (maybe they do) buy reverse osmosis or even deionized water filters (almost pure h20 ) and tout it. And if they want specific minerals in their water it's soooo easy to do like breweries do with their water, sometimes changing from batch to batch depending on the style of beer they're brewing.