AIPA Wrecking Ball

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
How about how thick they are. Are yours stock dims? At yours sizes, they're both over 3"
Not over 3in….Don’t know what the stock dims are. But I went back and forth with Duke and he’s seen me surf a few times so he came up with the sizing for me. Here are the dims on the big one. Like I said, combine these dims with the rocker it has and you’ve got a great paddling board that’ll get you into pretty much anything
C0E11217-ADF3-49A9-9CFE-A1D565F46FDD.jpeg

Last edited:

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Ride report yet???
Great timing!

Just rode it yesterday for the first time, decent 2'-3' glassy swell, that was unfortunately closing out a fair amount as the tide was going out. But got a few with open faces and the board felt great! Awesome paddler! Has some interesting attributes/feel at times:

-one bottom turn felt like an old longboard I had, kinda that longer drawn out turn, but then coming out of it the board accelerated down the line, I was laughing out loud it felt so good: Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde like, but in a good way = mellow feel to high performance feel.
-overall I might call it like driving a Tesla, meaning at times it is felt like it was on autopilot/copilot.

And honestly I'm not much of a tube riding expert, I'll blame it on the waves I grew up on and generally ride today, so my wave ridding habits are getting down the line, top to bottom stuff. But I'll tell yah I think this board is designed to get deep, I just sensed a feeling of it wanting to be in that portion of the wave. I'm looking forward to a bigger day where it is bowling up.

The board is designed to be ridden as a quad, which I like, Futures fin box so used the Futures Stamps fins, which felt fine, but I'm interested in trying some other sets I have, with the bat tail I am not sure if there is a "better" more proper fin size, rake to be using.

So all in all I'm am not disappointed and love it at this point. It will be high in the rotation and lots of comments from fellow surfers which is always fun, except when you're getting out of wetsuit, haahaa! Cheers

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
1652529909227.jpeg

Ride report yet???
Just a follow up, finally got the board out on some high quality waves = travel, down in El Salvador vs. my local beach breaks, where I have certainly liked it.

Was a little worried it wouldn't handle the juice, reached out to the boys at Aipa and they gave me the vote of confidence, and they were right!
-rode it as a quad the whole time: NVS Duke Aipa Horseman

Almost ready to ditch all my boards, the Wrecking Ball is dream, absolutely love it!!!

Just one pic on a pretty solid day and think it was like 18 seconds.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Anymore more ride reports on these?
Morning, honestly have had two recent outings, local beach break, where it seemed like a different board, I must have been coming off big groveler and pushing it too hard, I seemed to be surfing it on the quads alone, felt weird, but it was me I am sure, because I have had great rides on it in the past, so not ditching the board by any means and the great debate of whether it should come to Indo continues: as it is a super versatile board.

And I ain't no 'engineer' type surfer so all the tech, double bat tail, beveled rails, step down tail, no idea what all that shxt does, but when connected with it, it's feels 'safe', like Hawaiian lineage handed down to you.

-According to AIPA my width = 20.75", really should be seen as 19.25" due to the beveled rails.
-Also, volume is stated as 39.9L, hardly feels like that, feels more like 35/36ish.
-And based on my dims and whether it is suitable for bigger stuff, I reached out to AIPA, and they emailed me back:
"Stoked your digging the board!
Usually people will order this board 2" shorter than their height and surf it in up to head high surf.
We have surfers in places like Hawaii that go the other way and order it as a shorter midlength, and surf it in double over head.
Compared to your height/weight, your 6'0" Wrecking Ball can handle that size. ( thats almost a step up size board for someone your height)
I'd surf it as a thruster for bigger surf with open face for more carving and as a quad for down the line surfing when you need speed."

My board dims are 6'0" x 20.75"x 2.9375" = 39.9L, PU construction, super light.

Maybe you have seen these, you get a good look at it and some explanations about the tech, and Duke seems like quite the character.

Reactions: Sauce