‘Massive’ great white shark visits Santa Barbara

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
That was my first thought when I saw it but I didn't know they came that close into the beach.
You ever caught one from shore?
Never caught one from shore; they're basically unheard of as a true surf catch but like Clayster says, sometimes pier fisherman get them, mostly in the Panhandle during the spring run. Sebastian is a possibility.

They have a habit of following sh!t. Manta rays, turtles, sharks...the sharks suck because if you hook the cobia odds are pretty high your sh!t is getting sharked.

Reactions: keenfish

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Never caught one from shore; they're basically unheard of as a true surf catch but like Clayster says, sometimes pier fisherman get them, mostly in the Panhandle during the spring run. Sebastian is a possibility.

They have a habit of following sh!t. Manta rays, turtles, sharks...the sharks suck because if you hook the cobia odds are pretty high your sh!t is getting sharked.
They get them good in the spring on the outer banks sightcasting them just off the beach, surprised surf anglers do not get a couple.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Tan bueno para correr el autobus, rentar cuartos, y comprar algo para tomar y comer.

Y estan cuartos, no cuartoth.

Y los tiburones que he viste?

Estan azules. Dos metros, maximo.
So good to run the bus, rentar (not a Spanish word, rent with the "ar" added at the end, butt nice try) quarters :shrug: , and buy something to take and eat.

The other phrase gets fuzzy, butt I'm sure you know what you're talking aboot? :shrug:

And the sharks that I've saw?

They're blue. 2 meters, maximum.

Now, you want to tell me what the hey you are talking about? Cause not even Ramon understands, and he's like Mikey, he gets EVERYTHING!!!

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So good to run the bus, rentar (not a Spanish word, rent with the "ar" added at the end, butt nice try) quarters :shrug: , and buy something to take and eat.

The other phrase gets fuzzy, butt I'm sure you know what you're talking aboot? :shrug:

And the sharks that you I saw?

They're blue. 2 meters, maximum.

Now, you want to tell me what the hey you are talking about? Cause not even Ramon understands, and he's like Mikey, he gets EVERYTHING!!!

:shrug::shrug::shrug:
I see like three dozen rentars for each alquilar in Mexico. Cuarto, habitacion, ubicacion...

The people at the beach say the surf is chico. The taxi driver in Guad says that's wrong but he knows what I mean.

What "chido" means in Mainland Mexico and what it means in El Salvador are not apparently identical.

There were some South Africans and me watching a sunset, just before dinner time, and I said I was about to fckng grind dead animal like an obsessed madman. They hinted that grind means something very different to them than to me.

But the sight of a 17 foot white shark when you're on your board is the universal cue to sh!t your pants.

Because a 17 foot white shark is massive.

Reactions: Boneroni

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Years ago we had a shark of probably those dimensions swim right up on the side of the boat we were in. Seeing one up close is impressive. It's a swimming Buick. Needless to say, we decided to give surfing a pass for the day and I took off my wetsuit and traded it for a beer.

Just a personal observation, it's kind of funny how people get all emotional about a fish that can kill you. All the other fish, let's make sushi, tacos and mix up the garlic butter sauce!!! But a giant fish that can kill people? Leave Brittany alone!!! What's the psychology on this? Some kind of fishy virtue signaling!?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Years ago we had a shark of probably those dimensions swim right up on the side of the boat we were in. Seeing one up close is impressive. It's a swimming Buick. Needless to say, we decided to give surfing a pass for the day and I took off my wetsuit and traded it for a beer.

Just a personal observation, it's kind of funny how people get all emotional about a fish that can kill you. All the other fish, let's make sushi, tacos and mix up the garlic butter sauce!!! But a giant fish that can kill people? Leave Brittany alone!!! What's the psychology on this? Some kind of fishy virtue signaling!?
I feel sad when I kill a dolphin - I assume you call this a dorado or a mahi mahi - and I'm sure if I had to look a cow in its big dumb mammal eyes and then saw its head off I'd feel sad about that, too.

But the large sharks don't seem to wind up being used very much. Just killed for the sake of killing - that is where I think this comes from.

The resurging shark/alligator population is going to spur some contradictions. Not that many people surf in Cape Cod, but if every rivermouth from Sinaloa to Ecuador winds up being unsurfable because a swarm of crocs kills and tears apart anyone who paddles out, or small boaters in South Florida start getting picked off with regularity, I think some of the same people who want to enjoy the natural habitat are going to have to consider what tradeoffs they're willing to make.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I get what you're saying, but for me it's not about an emotional connection.

I just think it's wrong to kill predators in their home because we are simply afraid that they MIGHT hurt us.
Without the tracking device, we would've never known the shark was here.

What if there was a hunting boat dispatched every time someone saw fluffy in Oxtura?
Those would be some busy boats.

They are out there every day, with fin sightings many days, but in my 20 years of surfing the area I've never heard of any shark/human interaction :shrug:

Reactions: jkb

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Some sharks are particularly good eating. Not typically the big dangerous ones though, you usually don't see GW or Tiger or Bull shark on the menu.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You post reminded me of the next 10-15 seconds of this story:

(Actually the whole story is pretty humorous. This guy does a bit of background study on the topics he covers and as far as I can tell after double checking his source material, appears to be 95%+ accurate with minor, but reasonable, embellishments/extrapolations.)

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I get what you're saying, but for me it's not about an emotional connection.

I just think it's wrong to kill predators in their home because we are simply afraid that they MIGHT hurt us.
Without the tracking device, we would've never known the shark was here.

What if there was a hunting boat dispatched every time someone saw fluffy in Oxtura?
Those would be some busy boats.

They are out there every day, with fin sightings many days, but in my 20 years of surfing the area I've never heard of any shark/human interaction :shrug:
I get what your saying and for the most part agree.

I also know we’re finding out they’re way way more numerous than we used to think, which is interesting being that many of these protective rules might not be up to date.

Also, sentiment seems to change quick when a couple of local attacks occur within a short span of time. Or you know someone who gets taken.