New film on Vahine Fierro and sisters, surfing Teahupo'o

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com

A short film on Vahine, Heimiti and Kohai Fierro of Tahiti.

Over the years of visiting what I’d reckon to be the most beautiful place in the world, I’ve also met some outstanding characters, forged by the power of their connection with the land and sea. Recently, I’ve had the honor and pleasure of getting to know the Fierro family. Loving parents Andrew and Hina have raised three young women who are pushing women’s surfing while gracefully sharing their Tahitian lifestyle with the world.

Vahine, Heimiti, and Kohai exude the vibrancy of life, and do it together. Their bond is nothing short of magic; these young women are woven into each other’s growth and success. Watching them knock on the door of Teahupo’o one-by-one, Vahine leading the way into some of the heaviest waves I’ve ever seen women surf, is enthralling. And so, to visit them at their home, to spend time with the family, to explore nature and the sea with them, all the while chasing swells and watching these women charge bigger and bigger surf, has been utterly moving. I am such a huge fan of these sisters, and the opportunity to point my lens at them as they live and grow was the thrill of a lifetime.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
these young women are woven into each other’s growth and success.
cool vid, the surfing rocks, the life looks awesome....but it's kind of a weird dichotomy between the dialog/imagery/vibe presented here and surfing/media stardom, which i assume they have or wish to have. how is success defined for these three?

Reactions: Aruka

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Witches.
Mermaids?
As a girl dad, this made me proud.
Nice work Morgs. Very artistic.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
Dude

that's what i was thinking - don't know their ages but the younger two look like children. that's a pass.

The age of consent is most likely 15, but may be younger; on Pitcairn Island, it is twelve.

Bang away.