What happened to Rusty?

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
I know they're still around, but I hardly ever see new rusty boards anymore. They used to be third in sales, behind CI and Lost. Now I see very few. Something change?
My local used to carry them or possibly still does but maybe they've been out of stock.

Rusty dims were always weird. Like 26L at 5'10X20x2.3 or something odd. Really long and wide for the volume.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
How? He’s looking to make a buck and I can’t imagine any of the other big brands doing anything but offer free boards, if that.
He's can't be over 5'5 and that particular style of shaping as mentioned previous is very different than his previous shapers.

Have heard he indeed goes where the free boards though.

who buys a surfboard because of a ciao, seriously? he fell off tour and his girl got bolt ons and then left him for an MMA duuu.
Brazilians.

Judging from the fact the Rusty team has been majority Brazilian on and off over the past few years their market must be pretty decent there (?)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've had a bunch of Rusty's in the past few years. Blackbird is my favorite of them. Such a good step up.

The last one I got was a Blade with channels. I loved how it surfed but the glass job was super weak. Basically a new ding or dent every time I looked at it.

When they had discounts going it was hard to resist but at current prices and given my most recent experience it's tough to pull the trigger.

The New Traveler looks really good and I'll probably get a thickly glassed one some day.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Early 90's, Friend #1 buys a 7'6" Rusty from Wise Surfboards.

Had nice red fins.

A few years and many dings later, snap.

He gives me the remains, I get it fixed, and ride on those days when I don't want to ruin a good 7"6" or just want some extra paddle when a 6'10" would normally be the call.

The Busty rides great, even if it trends on the too flexible side of things, like the whole thing flexed, not just the repaired stringer. Dings easy too. What was it glassed with? Single 4 oz and E cloth?

Had one of the best rides ever with the Busty at a crowded spot when I waited out a set and all the local rippers took the first number of waves. Found myself way out the back thinking I had missed another set when suddenly I discover I hadn't.

Move a little bit over, then just wait, and while waiting, the crew is steaming back to the peak. I dislike having to make show that I am intent on catching a wave when I am in great position (and just need a few strokes to catch it) but the game is what it is, so I make some show of things, and as the wave starts to lift, dig deep and just as I am popping up, hear, "You better not blow it."

Too intent to snark back, drop, do mid-face bottom turn, release inside rail, slide-slip to the pocket, hit the inside bar, cover up, see out, and am too soon in the channel.

Paddle back out, take last position in the line up, wait for another.

Such a great board new, a very good one once repaired, and died a fine death on some inner bar cruncher a few years later after that great ride.

Was going to buy another when a good Rusty showed up at Wise, but it never did, and was more intent on supporting local shapers by then.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020
They are decently big in the south east. I think they have deep relationships with local shops like Ocean