For afoaf and freinds

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Do you sleep when you sleep there?

I would lie there awake all night.

I would need about a month in the wilderness to adapt.

Or drugs.
that night was very cold. I had had a very very bad no good day and choose my camp poorly in retrospect.

when you use a minimal shelter, you depend on the natural terrain to give you additional protection. there is quite a lot to consider....it becomes a mini-hunt at the end of the day. sometimes you're just tired and figure, fk it, I hope it doesn't rain!

you got the gist of it though....you get used to it. having less tent around me and more visibility actually increases my comfort level...I'm not going to get surprised by anything. being out there night after night also gets you comfortable.

my food is in a hard canister with anything and everything aromatic about 200 yards away from me. the bear will go there if they go anywhere at all. black bears are extremely skittish and mostly just ignore or flee.

I don't like drugs....I cut back on weed while hiking for a lot of reasons, but at night I have also moved away from alcohol, benzos, and other sleep aids....none of them get you good REM sleep and many can make it difficult to make an alpine start the next day.

I made a funny pillow for myself that folds for when I'm on my side and moved from an inflatable air mattress (1lb) to a 1/2" foam pad that only covers shoulders to knees (4oz). and I sleep better with that spartan setup than I did with all the fancy floofy sh!t. hiking 10-12 hours each day lends itself to a good sleep.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Maybe don't go around daring a flag Officer to throw you in jail.

Do you think he'd be compassionate if one of his company commanders did the same thing to him?
Hear me out here.

Do you think a Lt Col who is a commissioned officer doing those things is mentally stable and acting in the right mind?

Does it matter if he would be compassionate? Do you base you life and morality decisions based on the actions of other people?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
that night was very cold. I had had a very very bad no good day and choose my camp poorly in retrospect.

when you use a minimal shelter, you depend on the natural terrain to give you additional protection. there is quite a lot to consider....it becomes a mini-hunt at the end of the day. sometimes you're just tired and figure, fk it, I hope it doesn't rain!

you got the gist of it though....you get used to it. having less tent around me and more visibility actually increases my comfort level...I'm not going to get surprised by anything. being out there night after night also gets you comfortable.

my food is in a hard canister with anything and everything aromatic about 200 yards away from me. the bear will go there if they go anywhere at all. black bears are extremely skittish and mostly just ignore or flee.

I don't like drugs....I cut back on weed while hiking for a lot of reasons, but at night I have also moved away from alcohol, benzos, and other sleep aids....none of them get you good REM sleep and many can make it difficult to make an alpine start the next day.

I made a funny pillow for myself that folds for when I'm on my side and moved from an inflatable air mattress (1lb) to a 1/2" foam pad that only covers shoulders to knees (4oz). and I sleep better with that spartan setup than I did with all the fancy floofy sh!t. hiking 10-12 hours each day lends itself to a good sleep.
I can see how you'd want to sync up with nature. I never do it long enough to sync up.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

What about pooping? I’d need to bring a bidet. I feel like butt rot could ruin the most beautiful of hikes.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
What about pooping? I’d need to bring a bidet. I feel like butt rot could ruin the most beautiful of hikes.
google "culo clean"

there is a movement right now in wilderness settings to eliminate toilet paper in favor of bidets

the important part is being prepared...I pre-dig a hole near camp and collect smooth stones and sticks or whatever, sh!t in hole, use large items as first wave, disperse (throw) used items, hit it with the bidet, finish wipe with some dried baby wipes. baby wipes get carried out. the only thing that stays is the poop and some sticks and stones with skid marks

some places require you pack your poop out! Mt Whitney zone, for example. but this is rare and primarily in pristine desert areas or high alpine where things just do not decompose on a timescale that the level of human foot traffic would necessitate.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
google "culo clean"

there is a movement right now in wilderness settings to eliminate toilet paper in favor of bidets

the important part is being prepared...I pre-dig a hole near camp and collect smooth stones and sticks or whatever, sh!t in hole, use large items as first wave, disperse (throw) used items, hit it with the bidet, finish wipe with some dried baby wipes. baby wipes get carried out. the only thing that stays is the poop and some sticks and stones with skid marks

some places require you pack your poop out! Mt Whitney zone, for example. but this is rare and primarily in pristine desert areas or high alpine where things just do not decompose on a timescale that the level of human foot traffic would necessitate.
So you wipe your bunghole with rocks? I’m way too sensitive for that.