Steak

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
how many liters of steak do you guys recommend someone who is 5'2" 195 lbs should eat? also, what degree are you setting your hash marks when searing? More acute or obtuse? how far from the edges?

Mods, please move this to the culinary forum.
Well technically, there are both acute and obtuse hashmarks. On a quadrilateral you can't have one (or 2) without the other, unless they are perfect 90 degree angles which is highly unlikely :geek:

I used to go with grill ridges that were spaced 5/16" apart, but I realized that was a crutch and now I go with 19/64"s

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Season your shells or rib eyes with the bullshit as mentioned above (that sh!t is legit, as are a few of that company’s other blends, like chicken sh!t, horseshit, and my favorite: the special sh!t) Anyway, you can also use, and I kid you not, McCormick Montreal steak seasoning. That stuff is much better than center aisle grocery store seasoning has any right to be. Anyway, whatever your rub, make sure it is salty AF. Sometimes I just use salt pepper and both onion and garlic powders…Season the steaks generously and let them sit out on the counter for at least an hour. Is the Weber gas? If so get that bastard scorching hot, as hot as it will get, then throw the steaks on for 3.5 minutes each side (you can rotate them 90 degrees halfway through each side if you wanna get fancy) and take them off, let them sit 5 minutes, then eat. If it’s charcoal, get it hot, let the flames die a little, steaks May take a few minutes longer. Do not overcook. Enjoy. There are many fancier and more elaborate ways to prepare steaks at home, but the above is my favorite fast and dirty but still oh my god that steak is tasty way to do it

oh and btw if you buy legit prime beef from a good butcher, use less seasoning, but you can still do the above. I honestly just buy grocery store steaks most of the time, which are fine but not actual prime

Last edited:
Reactions: npsp and Sharky

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Any tips or tricks for making a great steak? Imma throw a few on the new weber barbie tonight.

what is your favorite cut?

for your troubles

http://instagr.am/p/CUL8ZawKNsG/
Dude. Cook a couple cheap ass steaks for the dogs tonight. Season your bbq with that and burn off most of the factory carcinogenic matter and go big tomorrow. lol I just made that sh!t up channeling the guy who quit surfing but bbqd like a rockstar

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Ribeyes are good but are super fatty. Eat that stuff too much and you will die early. Tenderloin (filet mignon) is super tender and super fat free. Cut the fat slab off a New York and you get tender, lean meat but more flavor than a filet. I keep it simple - dry rub low sodium Montreal 1/2 hour before grilling over direct heat. Top with mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and red wine.

Of course, there's always a good tri-tip with salsa on top...

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021
Rib eye, no question. Look for one with a larger marbled cap, the part that wraps around the edge.

Dry the steak. Kosher salt and black pepper. Throw on a hot grill. Rotate 30 degrees after 3-4 minutes and cook for another 3-4 minutes (depending on grill temp). Dry before flipping (especially if on a pan) and repeat. Only use the lid if it's 2"+. Shoot for medium rare, unless you're a cretin.

Let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1/2" slices across the grain, something about that really opens up the flavor.

A cast iron grill pan (with ridges) is the jam if you are cooking indoors. You can get diamond grill marks on both sides :beer:
I’ve been gettin constant flare ups with ribeye wtf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ribeyes are good but are super fatty. Eat that stuff too much and you will die early. Tenderloin (filet mignon) is super tender and super fat free. Cut the fat slab off a New York and you get tender, lean meat but more flavor than a filet. I keep it simple - dry rub low sodium Montreal 1/2 hour before grilling over direct heat. Top with mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and red wine.

Of course, there's always a good tri-tip with salsa on top...
The 70s called, they want their nutritional dogma back. Saturated fat is not the boogeyman we were told it was, unless you are obese. More and more research has shown this.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I like the whole cow, tenderloin if I had to pick. But really whatever is on sale as long as it's from a good butcher. My local Bristol Farms has never let me down. Nothing is more disappointing than a cheap cut of beef.

Reactions: keenfish