Steak

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Rib eye, no question. Look for one with a larger marbled cap, the part that wraps around the edge.

Dry the steak. Kosher salt and black pepper. Throw on a hot grill. Rotate 30 degrees after 3-4 minutes and cook for another 3-4 minutes (depending on grill temp). Dry before flipping (especially if on a pan) and repeat. Only use the lid if it's 2"+. Shoot for medium rare, unless you're a cretin.

Let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice into 1/2" slices across the grain, something about that really opens up the flavor.

A cast iron grill pan (with ridges) is the jam if you are cooking indoors. You can get diamond grill marks on both sides :beer:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
basically what grape said.

I get huge ribeyes and salt the fuck out of them for at least an hour.
meanwhile my cast iron is getting hotter than a hooker in church.
seqr them them nicely and thenfinish in the oven

sometimes I make a pan sauce with red wine and whatever else I have on hand.
easiest date night dinner ever

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
how many liters of steak do you guys recommend someone who is 5'2" 195 lbs should eat? also, what degree are you setting your hash marks when searing? More acute or obtuse? how far from the edges?

Mods, please move this to the culinary forum.
.17 L

45 degree angle. Too obtuse and it affects my next morning poop.

self grilled with seasoning made for the cut of meat

like I've been doing since 74'

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Am fan of allowing cuts of animal meat to get up to at least room temperature before cooking/roasting/BBQing/grilling.

Quality of the cut makes a difference too.

Preparation thereof.....so many paths to go down, tough for me to argue which is best.

A portion of well-made deliciously fermented malbecs helps but is not required.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I'm kind of bored with ribeye, if you can believe it...lately, strip and flank steaks...great flavor. Anyone know what a shoulder, or chicken steak is?